Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Pro Mouse gunk....

Apple Pro Mouse gunk....
georgius
Jan 22, 2001, 02:50 PM

I don't really know if this belongs in the Perpherals forum or not but here goes....

Right, to be blunt, I have an Apple Pro Mouse, but for the two side "tongues" there is a small gap between the "tongue" and the case plastic.

Over the past 2 months, ever so slowly, gunk and crap has started to build up from heavy use.

Is there a way of cleaning it? Can the mouse be opened to clean it?

If any one could help, it would greatly improve my Mac's general appearance

Play it cool

mindwaves
Jan 22, 2001, 03:37 PM

I also have an Apple Pro Mouse and I clean it sometimes. I don't know how to open the mouse so i can't clean it througly(not that I want to) but I clean the tonges or wheels like I like to call them with a sharp thin toothpick. Hope this helps!

Also, does anyone know how to open my Apple Pro Keyboard up since I have lots of junk at the bottom and since it is transparent, it bothers me even though I am not looking at the botttom. I tried that cold compressed air stuff in a can but it doesnt work. Where can I get a philip so I can open my case up. Please help. Thanks!

gorefan68
Banned
Jan 22, 2001, 04:32 PM

I suggest throwing it one of three places...

1. Dishwasher

2. Underneath a moving car

3. Trash can.

Then go purchase a contour unimouse and behold the glory of more than one button!

Ca$h <----- hates anything with one button

Lunchbox
Jan 22, 2001, 04:35 PM

Alright here's a related question: does anyone know how to safely open up a Mac Pro Keyboard without breaking any of the plastic snap together peices? I recently flipped over my keyboard only to discover the transparent plastic gives you a great panoramic view of every peice of food I've eaten near my computer for the past 6 months. Anyone have step by step instructions for this?

georgius
Jan 22, 2001, 05:31 PM

Quite the character aren't you gorefan68....

The Dude
Banned
Jan 22, 2001, 08:10 PM

Actually, I think that trying to take the Pro Mouse apart would be a bad idea. If I remember correctly, the mouse is hermetically sealed, so if you crack it open the vacuum is lost. Then the optical eye gets dust and crap on it, at which point the mouse is dead.

Your choice.

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jan 22, 2001, 10:41 PM

Jalleluia Ca$h, I LOVE my contour unimouse.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2001, 11:21 PM

Call him Ca$h68 or just Ca$h... Ca$h68 is his real username with like 1100 posts, but it was banned months ago and Misha refuses to give it back...

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

georgius
Jan 23, 2001, 08:02 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call him Ca$h68 or just Ca$h... Ca$h68 is his real username with like 1100 posts, but it was banned months ago and Misha refuses to give it back...
Good for Misha... I've seen some of what gorefan68/Ca$h has written. Sometimes it is interesting, but more often than not they end in fights, squabbles and tears.

I say good for Misha

Play it cool

(Oh and by the way, that metal toothpick thing didn't work mindwaves, but thanks for trying.)

gorefan68
Banned
Jan 23, 2001, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by georgius:
Good for Misha... I've seen some of what gorefan68/Ca$h has written. Sometimes it is interesting, but more often than not they end in fights, squabbles and tears.

I say good for Misha

Play it cool

(Oh and by the way, that metal toothpick thing didn't work mindwaves, but thanks for trying.)
Tears?!?!?! Hrm. Wait, you're right. Usually its people laughing.

Ca$h

georgius
Jan 23, 2001, 05:32 PM

Tears?!?!?! Hrm. Wait, you're right. Usually its people laughing.

Ca$h
Yeah, right Ca$h, this is EXACTLY what I meant. One person says something, you completly disagree, and it all goes from there. I should think that they aren't tears from laughing, but more like tears from cardiac arrest or a valium overdoes. P-leeez, Ca$h try and get on with some people, if not me, we are all open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, but not outright and blatant belittlement.

Play it cool Ca$h,

(Oh, and has any one else got any more mouse cleaning methods?)

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2001, 06:12 PM

Interesting, I have a M$ trackball explorer (5 buttons, wheel, whooo) and gunk forms in it... even though its a trackball. There are these little metal things in the cup that holds the ball and ever so often, stuff gets clogged on them making the ball roll slower... probably the stuff on my fingers or something, oh well...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2001, 10:04 PM

Contour Unimouse? Yuck! I owned one and got rid of it after 3 weeks of use. Ca$h do yourself a favor and purchase a Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse and behold the glory of a REAL scroll wheel.

Stogieman <-------- Hates multi-button mice with a wannabe scroll wheels.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

gorefan68
Banned
Jan 24, 2001, 02:09 AM

Nah. I hear logitech sucks. I also like the shape, weight, and feel of the unimouse quite a bit. And its limegreen.

Ca$h

MacOS761
Senior User
Jan 24, 2001, 03:00 AM

I say "Hah!" to you all. Just today I got an iOptiJr. The thing is great - two buttons and a scroll wheel, optical, and it's nice and small. I liked the fact that the puck mouse was small, but prefer more buttons. Badda-bing, the perfect match. No gunk yet.

Georgius, try cotton swabs or Q-tips with some rubbing alcohol. Good luck.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Tominator
Jan 24, 2001, 03:01 AM

try soaking it in a pail of gasoline or paint thinner.

georgius
Jan 24, 2001, 08:23 AM

Could either Mac716 or Tominator please elaborate, do I just plunge my pro mouse into paint thinner, or will that do untold harm? And how do I get the cotton wool swabs to fir behind the "tongues"?

Many thanks and play it cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules