Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > List of default Unix commands installed?

List of default Unix commands installed?
Sebastien
Dec 10, 2004, 12:35 AM

I'm looking for a list or anything that will tell me what commands are installed in a standard OS X client installation. I'm looking to find out if tools like patch, diff, diff3 etc are installed.

I'd check my system, but I've got the Dev Tools installed so obviously those are there now; I'm just not sure if they were standard though.

I've tried to look in the knowledge base, but couldn't dig anything up...

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2004, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Sebastien:
I'm looking for a list or anything that will tell me what commands are installed in a standard OS X client installation. I'm looking to find out if tools like patch, diff, diff3 etc are installed.

I'd check my system, but I've got the Dev Tools installed so obviously those are there now; I'm just not sure if they were standard though.
Probably everyone reading this list has the dev tools installed. I'd go over to the general OS X forum and specifically ask someone who doesn't have dev tools installed to mail you a listing of /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin

--sam

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 02:44 AM

You could run lsbom on the bom archive inside of the OS X installation package for the BSD subsystem. "man lsbom".

Or, I think Pacifist will do this from a GUI app.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules