Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > damn you ~ATM, damn you to hell!

damn you ~ATM, damn you to hell!
rstevens
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 11:44 AM

i had great luck with my question yesterday, so here comes another...

i just got a dual g4 / 450 with 9.04 at work. i installed ATM deluxe 4.6 on it and as soon as i did, my web browsers started locking up. seeing as i work on web pages, this isn't exactly an acceptable problem.

i noticed some other threads recommending switching over to aTM 4.5.2, so i uninstalled deluxe and tried light 4.5.2.

no luck there either.

anyone have any suggestions? it would be nice to be able to use Fireworks with post script fonts again.

i'm almost tempted to go grab one of those finder patches that increases the memory allocation and say a brief prayer. i hate not being able to fix my own problems, but i guess i should get used to it with OS X on the way...

------------------
i like cartoons: dieselsweeties.com

bleen
Senior User
Jan 9, 2001, 12:12 PM

One thing about ATM is that it takes up WAY too much RAM. The MacOS' built in Anti-Aliasing made me think is ATM really worth it? (I've had it not installed since )

rstevens  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 12:17 PM

i agree on the anti-aliasing, but it doesn't work too well with post scropt font display in some apps.

what is odd is that adobe apps seem to run fine without it...

------------------
i like cartoons: dieselsweeties.com

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 12:34 PM

Are you sure it is just ATM? I only choose the basic options in ATM and I increase the cache for ATM to 1 meg. I also click off on the font screening for display fonts. Also, you could have corrupt fonts and that will surely screw your system over as it did with the ruler being displayed in Flash 5. So, I trashed all of ATM, all my fonts besides what was in the system floder and installed everything over witout extensions on. Another thing is to make sure you don't have conflicting fonts or more than one set of typeface in the ATM database, that is what caused IE5 to lock up over time!

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 9, 2001, 12:34 PM

rstevens;

I'm not certain how any version of ATM Deluxe interacts or effects a Mac's performance as I've generally used Suitcase 3 (which still functions under OS 9.0.4) to manage fonts.

The only thing I can address here is that there is an ATM Lite version 4.6.1. Your ATM lite may not be the same even running ATM Deluxe 4.6.x, it could still be on the older version.

My undertstanding is that ATM~Lite 4.5.x won't funtion as well with certain Graphics applications, and may cause slow-down. But I'm not doing web graphics here.

My primary app's are mainly Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat and QuarkXPress. All of these seem to have no problems with the version of ATM~Lite I'm utilizing currently.

I also use MS Internet Explorer 5 as my primary browser, and demoed Netscape 6 preview and have seen no lock-up or display issues. Could these issues be due to your browsers settings?

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 01-09-2001).]

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2001, 12:41 PM

I trashed ATM (iMac 350 - 9.0.4) months ago and have never had a problem.

WDL

Forum Links
Forum Rules