Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What SCSIs will work with 9500

What SCSIs will work with 9500
RUNTZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2002, 11:19 AM

I would like to order a faster SCSI drive for my 9500 that I have upgraded with a sonnet G4 PCI.

On poweron.com they have apple drive but expensive. Will this drive work to boot and do everything ( including run OS X )?

The drive: Cyber Drive Int. Internal, Bootable, 24x SCSI New $39.99

Thanks

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2002, 11:13 PM

I have recently bought a 24x drive for my Umax S900. It was advertised as a Cyberdrive, though it doesn't say so anywhere on the drive itself, and it is sold very cheaply here in Germany (about 15$). Soon I realized that it wasn't worth even those 15$, because it was really slow. It took up to a minute to read the directory of a CD, and rotation of the CD kept slowing down and accelerating alternately. I assume this was due to read errors, but the CDs worked fine in other drives. Maybe I just had bad luck, but the low price compared to other SCSI drives doesn't make me think so. I have never tried if it is possible to boot from the drive, though.

booboo
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2002, 07:28 PM

You've got 6 slots, you could consider buying a PCI IDE card which will open the door to inexpensive and fast IDE drives...

Forum Links
Forum Rules