Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > G3 or not G3

G3 or not G3
-1984-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2001, 12:59 PM

Okay, Mac pros, here's my raging internal debate:
Should I sell my PowerComputing 132 that has a 375 G3 Sonnet card and buy a beige G3.
I'd think a real G3 would be better, but I'd probably only be able to afford a 233 or 266, slower than 375. But at least I'd be buying a box OS X is truly supported on, and I'd be building for the future.

Yeas and Nays accepted with equal enthusiasm. Thanks.

Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

malson
Senior User
Dec 6, 2001, 06:31 PM

If you want to run X and be certain that it will be supported, then sell your machine and get a "real" G3. Or, if you are a bit more daring and willing to be patient, there are a number of sites out there that can help you install X on an unsupported machine. In your case, I'm thinking it would be a bit more complicated. First, it's on a clone which I'm positive Apple doesn't support and second, the upgrade card might be a problem if you can't get appropriate drivers from Sonnet.

To sum up, if you want sure-fire compatibility, sell your machine and get a G3. You'll take a speed hit but it will certainly work. If you're willing to take some chances on compatibility issues and trouble shoot, go ahead and try X on your machine. Max out your RAM and get ready for the fun!
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 6, 2001, 07:07 PM

Hi,

I would personally stay with your current set-up, and try and save some money for a cheap, second hand sawtooth G4. I know that it will cost alot, but you really will not get that much from OSx with a slow G3. I have an iBook 466, and it isn't too nippy with all the effects and such. It seems that you have alot of money in your current setup, and I would keep on with it until I could get a G4, which really would be building for the future...

Dave
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules