Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't boot from NUM 7 CD on "MIrror Door" G4

Can't boot from NUM 7 CD on "MIrror Door" G4
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2002, 07:30 PM

I have a nearly new G4 that had 10.2 preinstalled. It's updated to 10.2.1. I just bought NUM 7 and updated it to 7.0.2. Disk Doctor found "major errors" that couldn't be fixed from the startup disk. When I try to boot from the NUM 7 CD, OS 9 (from the CD) starts to load, then the computer absolutely freezes (mouse cursor won't move) and the screen goes black. I just want to degrag/optimize my disk, but can't because of the errors. Please help.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 09:30 PM

common problem - your hardware is newer than the cd you are trying to boot from. symantec has an article about this.....
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2002, 10:01 PM

Mr. Blur,
Thanks so much!! I searched the Symantec site, but didn't find that page. I will order the new CD tomorrow (they're closed now). I can relax now. Again, thanks.

Karl

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2002, 10:18 PM

no problem....glad to help.

a word of caution though - be careful with norton. if you look through these forums (and at reports over at macfixit) you'll see lots of people have had trouble....i don't own norton 7 myself so i've no first-hand experience to relate.

Alsoft Diskwarrior and PlusOptimizer are generally acknowledged as better products for repair/optimizing your drives. They have an X native version coming shortly but the cd they ship now will boot and repair your new G4 via 9.2.2
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2002, 10:22 PM

I seen some of those reports. I haven't had any problems with NUM since OS 8. I guess I've been lucky. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules