Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Like Sushi?

Like Sushi? (Page 2)
daniel999
Jul 31, 2003, 09:26 PM

I suggest you go to Japan~
More choice there ^^
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Fad? It's been eaten for hundreds of years, because it tastes good.

But if you don't like fish you may not like it.
Just what exactly does sushi tatste like? Do they really use seaweed and stuff to wrap the fish in? tell me more...

turboSPE

Ken Masters
Banned
Jul 31, 2003, 11:08 PM

SO doesn't anyone else mix soy sauce with their wasabi????

Something that good, can't possibly be derived from a mere mortal such as my self.

lukash_kasha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 05:03 AM

Hey, by pure coincidence i had sushi yesterday! Its great stuff. Loved the Tuna ones. It came with soy sauce in little plastic-fish-mimicking bottles. cool, what? And hey, I mixed Wasabi and Soy and put some ginger ontop... mmh

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
SO doesn't anyone else mix soy sauce with their wasabi????

Something that good, can't possibly be derived from a mere mortal such as my self.
My sushi teacher does that too, and I do after him. I really like that.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

itomato
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Just what exactly does sushi tatste like? Do they really use seaweed and stuff to wrap the fish in? tell me more...

turboSPE
Well, it doesn't taste like you'd expect it too. Thinking about the words "raw fish" & "seaweed" doesn't help.

Sushi tastes very "clean". If you are a non-fish person, trying it raw, or at least minimally cooked might turn you around. Sashimi, the raw fish & sometimes rice, is clean and meaty like a choice steak.

The seaweed wrapped delicacies vary according to the ingredients, so it can range from a kind of chewy, kind of salty, roll with roe - to a crisp and yummy roll with cuke, fried shrimp, a little shredded carrot or burdock.. MMMMmmm..

Then, there's the pure seaweed dishes, which can be simply marinated seaweed with a little sesame seed. Awesome.

Fried stuff turn you on, fellow Tennesean? Tempura is where it's at. Deep fried yam, pea, sweet bell pepper, shrimp, eggplant. God. Damn. Mmm..

Email me if you wanna go have sushi sometime. I know there's some place on Broadway or West End. I haven't had it since I left Florida.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 12:27 PM

I love tempura. Tempura anything.

Well, except for iCruise's hamster-sushi!

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 1, 2003, 12:46 PM

I've made my own sushi before. I didn't have any fresh fish so I just used veggies, crab, and smoked salmon.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 12:59 PM

I was never much of a fish eater, but when I tried Sushi I was hooked... I think it helped that I went to Japan for a week on business, though, which really got me used to Japanese food in a hurry.

For me, fish is all about texture. And raw fish has the best texture. Now, I prefer raw salmon to cooked salmon!

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 01:16 PM

Supposedly raw salmon has more worms and parasites than any other fish.

When I went to Nobu (genuflects -- Nobu is THE standard in this country) in NYC the chef (I forget what you call the sushi chef) said that they don't serve raw salmon there, only smoked salmon. Guess that could be why?

Nobu. Nobu. Nobu.

The world's greatest Japanese restaurant and perhaps even the world's best restaurant.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 01:20 PM

There's one in Miami that I've gone to before, but it's not the same for some reason. Maybe because Nobu isn't there himself even though it is his restaurant also.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by itomato:
Well, it doesn't taste like you'd expect it too. Thinking about the words "raw fish" & "seaweed" doesn't help.

Sushi tastes very "clean". If you are a non-fish person, trying it raw, or at least minimally cooked might turn you around. Sashimi, the raw fish & sometimes rice, is clean and meaty like a choice steak.

The seaweed wrapped delicacies vary according to the ingredients, so it can range from a kind of chewy, kind of salty, roll with roe - to a crisp and yummy roll with cuke, fried shrimp, a little shredded carrot or burdock.. MMMMmmm..

Then, there's the pure seaweed dishes, which can be simply marinated seaweed with a little sesame seed. Awesome.

Fried stuff turn you on, fellow Tennesean? Tempura is where it's at. Deep fried yam, pea, sweet bell pepper, shrimp, eggplant. God. Damn. Mmm..

Email me if you wanna go have sushi sometime. I know there's some place on Broadway or West End. I haven't had it since I left Florida.
Thanks for the info. Next time I'm in town, we'll have to hang out and eat sushi!

turboSPE

Edit: So I Googled "Tempura," thinking it was a restaurant in Nashville. Boy was I wrong. It's a Japanese frying technique (apparently borrowed from the Portugese). I think I'm going to find some place to eat it tonight. Anybody know anything about Tempura in Dallas?

tS
( Last edited by turboSPE; Aug 1, 2003 at 02:11 PM. )

xtal
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 02:26 PM

Unagi is my favourite, but I usually have some sake (salmon) to gauge the quality of a new sushi place.

Sushi etiquette:
http://www.wcnet.org/~kralizec/sushi/s-etiquette.html

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

xtal
Senior User
Aug 1, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by lukash_kasha:
Hey, by pure coincidence i had sushi yesterday! Its great stuff. Loved the Tuna ones. It came with soy sauce in little plastic-fish-mimicking bottles. cool, what? And hey, I mixed Wasabi and Soy and put some ginger ontop... mmh
Not to disparage, but the proper use of the ginger is to clease the palate between different types of sushi.

But hey, whatever you enjoy.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 02:40 PM

turboSPE: Nakamoto is a really good place.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 1, 2003, 03:06 PM

There is that old sushi saying that goes

"If it smells like fish, eat all you wish, if it smells like wasab..

er wait, that might not be a sushi saying.

itomato
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Anybody know anything about Tempura in Dallas?

tS
Just stay away from Benihana's!! (are they even there anymore?)

IIRC, there's a Japanese place on Lower Greenville.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Conscript
Aug 1, 2003, 03:49 PM

I LOVE eating sushi, but for me it's really just because it's a vessel for the Wasabi!
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30 GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by itomato:
Just stay away from Benihana's!! (are they even there anymore?)

IIRC, there's a Japanese place on Lower Greenville.
That's exactly where I tend to go in a few days. I think it's called Teppo Yakitori. Thanks for the help everyone!

turboSPE

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 2, 2003, 03:15 AM

I still don't get this fascination with sushi. It's fine, but it's not SOOOO much better than other foods that it warrants this kind of obsession. IMHO.

I don't really care about the raw fish thing. It tastes fine. But whatever. I have eaten at Nobu before, and it was OK, but I was hardly blown away. The presentation is very aesthetic, but when it comes down to pure taste, whatever. It's fine, it's not the greatest restaurant ever. IMO it's just one of those things that gets hyped up because you just can't get reservations for it. Apparently you have to know some special number to get through easily. Sounds bizarre to me.

Maybe I'm too down to earth to appreciate Nobu for what it is, but I didn't really care for it and wouldn't go back -- especially if I were paying. I have no problem with many other fancy restaurants, but when I'm paying $9 for two ridged potato chips with a tiny piece of raw tuna on them...give me a ****ing break.

I acknowledge that people who like Japanese food a lot are not just crazy, of course. I'm just confused why so many people seem to like sushi to this degree. My friend is practically fanatical about it...it's insane.
( Last edited by gorgonzola; Aug 2, 2003 at 03:20 AM. )
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

lipstick.smears
Aug 2, 2003, 03:19 AM

hahah the hamster is great!!
I love most sushi, tuna, is my favorite. WAAAAAAASSSSSSSSABI!

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 2, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
I still don't get this fascination with sushi. It's fine, but it's not SOOOO much better than other foods that it warrants this kind of obsession. IMHO.
I think it stimulates parts of the brain that other foods just cannot.

I have had it for dinner before, and honestly felt like I got a buzz from it.

Maybe it was the mercury.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
I love tempura. Tempura anything.

Well, except for iCruise's hamster-sushi!
I love Tempura also. Tempura meat and vegetables dipped in soy sauce!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

JakeTuba
Aug 2, 2003, 02:07 PM

I moved to the San Fran bay area in CA about 8 years ago and I've been eating sushi ever since. I need it at least once a month and I like most kinds. If I had to pick favs, they'd be: Octopus (tako), Tuna (tekka), CA roll, Philly roll, Salmon (sake), Crab (kani), and Scallops-my all-time-favorite.

Mmmmmm, now I'm hungry! The bay area is great for fresh fish and the immense number of sushi restaurants ensures a sushi lovers tasting paradise. Speaking of sushi lovers, that's my favorite restaurant out here...

http://www.sushilovers.com/

YUMMY!

Oh, and I too mix my soy sauce and wasabi...
( Last edited by JakeTuba; Aug 2, 2003 at 02:13 PM. )
SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

Forum Links
Forum Rules