Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Straight razor retailers? (canadian)

Straight razor retailers? (canadian)
yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 11:06 PM

I really like my Mach3 blades, but i really can't afford them anymore, and my electric's "microfoil" rusted away. I've been reading on the 'net about straight razors, and have been told they work great ("you'll never go back" etc).

But I can't find them on sale anywhere, except online (a pain anyway) as collectable/specialty goods with >200$ prices. I tried to ask in one store, and they thought i was asking for a weapon (an old media misconception/myth, it's very difficult to badly hurt someone with a straight razor). the closest i've come is a styptic pen and mug shaving cream at ShoppersDrugMart and a conventional razor at Superstore. Where do you buy these things?

If you have no clue what i'm talking about, i'm looking for the type of razor your grandfather probably used. here's an example (this one is 280$ +Tax)-
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

khufuu
Aug 2, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by yukon:
I really like my Mach3 blades, but i really can't afford them anymore, and my electric's "microfoil" rusted away. I've been reading on the 'net about straight razors, and have been told they work great ("you'll never go back" etc).

But I can't find them on sale anywhere, except online (a pain anyway) as collectable/specialty goods with >200$ prices. I tried to ask in one store, and they thought i was asking for a weapon (an old media misconception/myth, it's very difficult to badly hurt someone with a straight razor). the closest i've come is a styptic pen and mug shaving cream at ShoppersDrugMart and a conventional razor at Superstore. Where do you buy these things?

If you have no clue what i'm talking about, i'm looking for the type of razor your grandfather probably used. here's an example (this one is 280$ +Tax)-
Antique shops. There's usually a ton out there that are in pretty good shape and sell for cheap too.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2003, 03:00 AM

I remember seeing them at a mall store for smelly soaps and body poofs etc. I believe the store was called Crabtree & Evelyn or some such thing. i'm not sure I'd look to them for quality stuff. My ancient barber once showed me a barber supply catalog where you could get all manner of things, the barber chair, razors and strops, even the jar with barbicide. Perhaps you could find it in one of those.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 03:10 AM

They are expensive when new. Here's a link to a German mail order company that sells them:

http://www.manufactum.de/mhp2/cgi-bi...trLZ=undefined

The one shown is about $60 (US)
Otherwise find an old fashioned barbershop and ask them to sell/order you one.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 3, 2003, 08:46 AM

i thought this was questioning the fact that there might be straight people in canada
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

yukon  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 12:00 PM

khufuu-
Antique shops. There's usually a ton out there that are in pretty good shape and sell for cheap too.
Used razors....i dunno, that's why i didn't check ebay. But it's definitely worth a shot, they're easy to clean and sharpen, and retail has been expensive.....thanks for the idea :-)

Mastrap-
Otherwise find an old fashioned barbershop and ask them to sell/order you one.
Great idea, I've got the phonebook out, and i'll go on tuesday or so

philzilla-
questioning the fact that there might be straight people in canada
Shut your ******* face, uncle ******! ;-D
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2003, 04:44 PM

That's self mutalation if you don't have a extremely steady hand.

Only people I know who have one are over 65... .and they bought theirs when they were 17. No joke.

It is a dangerious object. drop a hair on the blade, and it's cut in half. Nothing sharper than one of thse suckers. Seriously. That's the only reason why it gets such a good shave. It's so damn sharp. SO I can see it being considered dangerious. Not exactly a weapon (would be kind of awkward to use as one). But you can seriously hurt yourself if you don't know what your doing. Think someone posted a link on this forum a while back (or perhaps another forum) of some guy who accidentally slit his throat when a truck backfired scaring him while shaving.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 05:51 PM

I don't know why, but they scare the bejesus out of me!

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2003, 09:10 PM

Several years ago I had a hair cut in India and they used this kind of razor to chop my side burns and back hair. Basically I was floored at how efficient the blade was, one of the best cuts I've had, and a very cool feeling against your skin. I'm sure they would be great for shaving.

Anyways, froogle is your friend

e.g. http://www.erosboutique.org/store/me...y_Code=medical

and

http://store.yahoo.com/bonika/noname1.html

xtal
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 11:11 AM

You can try getting in touch with Toronto Barber Supply. They have a few stores in the Greater Toronto Area, and they may do the mail order thing.

1-800-387-2962

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 4, 2003, 10:44 PM

Max is right, a barber shop will sell/order one for you. I would recommend an old timer barber for this, if for no other reason than they will be able to show you how to sharpen it properly.

Although I have used a straight razor on and off for many years, this advice does not come from me, but a friend of mine that is a barber. His point was, younger guys in the business have never really used a straight razor because no one goes to a barber for shaves anymore. Used razors are a bad idea, (unless bought from a barber) because you don't know if they have been properly sharpened. If they haven't, you incur the additional expense of sending them in to be professionally honed. If the edge has been bunged up, you can't bring it back yourself. You need a pro sharpener for that.

Another thing to keep in mind, besides the price of the razor (and you really don't want to skimp on the razor) is the price of a strop and honing stone. Unfortunately, these things aren't cheap, and you absolutely have to have them.

When my friend took the test for his barber license, you had to shave someone and give a haircut. He used his younger brother for the practice dummy during the test. He accidently slit his brothers neck. Cut him good too. The only reason he passed was he was able to demonstrate the proper way of stopping the bleeding. So, like I said, find an old-timer for the basics on razor maintenance and training on how to use it. be careful and practice.

Oh, and one last thing. The shave from a straight razor isn't really all that great, or even as good as a mach 3. Most people that fondly remember the closeness of a straight blade shave often over look the prep it took to get that great shave. Hot towels and **** to lift the beard, and what not. It lifted the hair, so when you were done, and the skin contracted, the follicles are pulled back into the skin and give that ultra close feel. To do that everyday means you have to get up a half hour earlier...

Hope all that helps.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules