Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > RSS and content management: How do you guys do it?

RSS and content management: How do you guys do it?
Synotic
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 04:26 PM

Hey guys,

I'm working on a project that involves a lot of independent content. I need to create a website that any number of people can edit while still keeping people away from the actual code.

When you create a site, how do you deal with content updates? Do you set them up with some kind of content management, or do you just charge them to update the site? This site, by its nature, can't be dependent on any one person, so I can't charge anyone to update it.

I'd just like to hear what you guys do, if you want to throw anything out there.

One of my current ideas is to set up a hosted wordpress blog with various sections (if this is a feature of wordpress) and then give different users access to different sections. Assuming that wordpress can generate an RSS feed for each section, my website would read the RSS and create a dynamic frontpage that pulls information from this blog. This way I could separate the website and the actual content.

Have any of you done something similar? Is this a reasonable way of going about things? Would something other than wordpress work better for my needs? Also, what is a good way to read and even generate RSS feeds using PHP?

I'm breaking a lot of new ground and am doing my own research, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't veering to far off. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

P.S. Just to make it clear: I don't want to go with a straight blog, because there'll be a lot of other dynamic information I'd like to include on this site, including reading other dynamic RSS feeds.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2007, 09:17 PM

WordPress makes for an awesome CMS, allowing you to create blog pages or static pages. It features the TinyMCE WYSIWYG javascript toolbar, and has several useful features and a ton of plug-ins. I've used it with great success with my clients.

I've also written several of my own CMSes, it depends on whether you want something extremely specialized and focused for the site at hand, or a more general-use tool such as WordPress.

Forum Links
Forum Rules