Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Worth it to install sound card

Worth it to install sound card
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 05:17 PM

I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, a pretty damn good sound card, although not brand new. I checked the website, it is mac supported, is is worth it to upgrade the card? audio is kind of a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2007, 05:42 PM

Is it PCI-E?
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2007, 06:04 PM

Of course.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2007, 07:03 PM

It's worth it if you have a high quality source and good speakers/headphones (i.e. will you notice the quality of the sound card?). Also, if you're using a Mac Pro, you have an optical connection, so you could use that for good quality sound.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2007, 07:40 PM

Sure, and you can use it in Windows. OS X doesn't support it.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 12:09 PM

Creative cards are overhyped, in my opinion. They're good for gaming, but a cheap musician's sound card or audio interface will almost always sound better.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2007, 07:29 PM

Well, it works...

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2007, 07:40 PM

Will the separate soundcard output better quality compared to the Mac Pro optical out, or is is just so you have more control over the output?

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 04:17 AM

You know, I can't find a PCI Express Audigy anywhere online....

How does it sound? Better than the built in sound?

Hmmm does anyone have any idea what chip/card the Mac Pros use for sound?
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

voo
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 05:50 PM

There is no Audigy 2 ZS PCI-E card. There is one PCI-E card that they have and its Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express - OEM

The rest are all PCI.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by rozwado1 View Post
Will the separate soundcard output better quality compared to the Mac Pro optical out, or is is just so you have more control over the output?
Digital audio is digital audio. Asking whether one optical output is better than another is like asking whether music burned onto X-brand of CD-Rs sounds better than music burned on Y-brand. The optical output just puts out the raw stream of bits. Making a digital audio stream sound good depends on the hardware connected to it; if you're connecting to an amplifier with a crappy DAC, it's going to sound poor. If you're connected to a nice, high-end DAC, it's going to sound good. The digital output is simply a way to bypass the analog conversion inside the computer and do it elsewhere. Comparing the digital output on the built-in card and the analog output on an added card is like comparing apples and oranges.

Forum Links
Forum Rules