Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Playing/Editing Xvid-based AVIs on a Mac, is it possible?

Playing/Editing Xvid-based AVIs on a Mac, is it possible?
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 08:13 AM

Hi all, I have a bunch of movie files that I need to edit on my newer mbp, that all came from a PC where they play fine in Windows Media Player, and gspot says they are XVID 1.1.0 Final codec based. When I copy these .avi files to the mac and try to play in QT, I just get audio. When I try and play them on the PC (same one where WMP works) using QT, I get just audio. So I did what they said to do on the XVID project site, and that is to download DIVX and install that, then use the supplied XVID Delegate Component and reboot to play an Xvid file. Well, that does not work and sounds like a kluge anyway. So what to do? I could always use premiere pro in XP and convert the movies to QT, then transfer to the mac, but that seems like a lot of work and would be time consuming. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2007, 10:40 AM

Get Perian, that should take care of the audio/video playback problems, then get QTAmateur for basic copy-paste functions.

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 02:28 PM

great advice, thanks!!!

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules