Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spaces on external monitor issues

Spaces on external monitor issues
pcw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 09:43 AM

Hi,

I'm having some issues with spaces. Let's say I'm using my MacBook and fooling around with spaces. When I plug in my exernal monitor (Samsung 205BW) all my spaces are empty and the applications that are open are only visible on the MacBook monitor spaces. It's kind off annoying have to drag them from the MacBook monitor over to my external monitor every time I plug in the external monitor.

Has anyone else experienced this and might someone have a quick hack for it?

pcw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 01:20 PM

No one?

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2008, 12:07 AM

This is the first time I've used Leopard with an external monitor and I have the exact problem. Am I the only one experiencing this or does is this not an issue with anyone else!?

Attached is a picture of the problem.

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 03:27 AM

I'm not sure i get it; do you want spaces to automatically populate the spaces of the secondary monitor when you attach it? I don't think spaces works this way (I'll have to test it myself)... you have to specify what space you want an application/window to be in, otherwise the OS will put those windows anywhere it wants, which I assume would tick a lot of people off when they already have they're spaces set.

What you can do (and it may even work for your problem) is to pin specific apps to a specific space. Open the Spaces system pref pane, go down to the "Application Assignments" box, and click the "+" to add an app (or drag it to the window), and assign a space to it. It will always open up in that space until you remove it from the list.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2008, 08:48 AM

I have certain applications go to certain spaces. When I reveal all spaces, my primary monitor shows eight spaces. I have four set up so the other four comes from my external. But instead of four going on the external and four on the original monitor, all eight show up on the original monitor and nothing on the external. At first glance, it seems odd why the external monitor doesn't have spaces. But then thinking about it, I guess what they intended was for each space to correspond to the space on the external so they place them together.

So, if I have Safari set in the first space and iTunes set in the second space, I can't see Safari on one screen and iTunes in the others simultaneously without disabling Spaces or setting the applications to all spaces. I'm not sure if what I'm saying makes sense to anyone else, but it seems a awkward way of doing things.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tripletaker View Post
So, if I have Safari set in the first space and iTunes set in the second space, I can't see Safari on one screen and iTunes in the others simultaneously
Well, that's how Spaces works on a single monitor, as well - why should it be any different on multiple monitors?

A "Space" is a DESKTOP. If you're using multiple displays in spanning mode, they add up to a single DESKTOP (not several).
So if you create four Spaces, you have four desktop sets.

If you hit the Spaces key to get that overview, you can just drag iTunes from the second Space into the second monitor of the first. Exactly the same as you would with a single-monitor desktop.

Apologies if I've misread your post and mine comes off as snarky in consequence - it's not meant to be.

tripletaker
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2008, 11:10 AM

After thinking about it I guess that the way it works is the logical way.

Every time I attach an external monitor I will have to rearrange my spaces. Also, I have certain applications set to certain spaces, so I will have to set all applications to all spaces. I guess that it's not that big of a deal.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 11:55 AM

Once a window is open, dragging it from one space to another will override whatever Space the application is set to.

I can have Safari windows in all of my Spaces at the same time, even though it's set to OPEN them in Space 4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules