Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much is a G4 worth these days?

How much is a G4 worth these days?
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2008, 04:32 AM

hi all, I have a friend who sent me these specs and was wondering what a good deal would be on purchasing this unit:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"

CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 167 MHz

Hard drive: 80GB

I don't think the specs are correct so I asked the seller to clarify...i know it can be confusing with g4s as I remember there being many models over the years... so how much would U pay for this one? thx....

FD

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
May 7, 2008, 08:25 PM

Well you have a lot of RAM. But seeing as how the base Macbook (not pro) really blows yours out of the water and is around $1,000, don't expect much.

Check ebay. See what similar computers are going for. I would say you're looking at around $500, just off the top of my head.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 12:05 PM

$500 is a little low, more like $700. These still bring a decent amount on eBay. Those specs would be correct for a base last rev PowerBook G4 15" with a CD burner (no DVD burning).

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 12:32 PM

The specs look correct.
lowendmac.com runs frequent price comparisons.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
May 16, 2008, 01:32 AM

There are some things you can do with a late model PB G4 that you might not be able to do with the MB due to the discrete graphics. So don't give up hope. Also, if you're open to a trade, check PowerMax; they gave me a very healthy trade on a titanium 'book a while back.

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2008, 07:41 AM

well thanks all for replies...i had an emergency while working overseas - my MBP logic board fried and I could not postpone work for the week it takes to get parts from Singapore so I had to buy a white MB, loaded my 4gig mem from the dead MBP, installed Leopard using the TimeMachine backup from the MBP, and 30 minutes later I was back in business, sans 46,500 Thai Bhat. But it was worth every penny! The mb is doing everything the MbP was doing: FCP, Motion, Compressor, and a bunch of 3d tools and Protools just as good as the pro was doing. Funny, the MB feels like it's built like a power brick and the MBP is just cheesy and always breaking down...But thank buddha for TimeMachine and apple architecture!

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules