Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is there a network management tool that will do this: map and messaging?

Is there a network management tool that will do this: map and messaging?
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2008, 12:34 AM

Hi all I am setting up a small LAN for the studio and need networking tool(s) that will do this:
* Map who is connected to my wireless router in terms of computer name, IP address served via DHCP, and MAC ID.
* Send messages to all or one of the addresses.
I have an old version of InterMapper that never really worked right, and dont want to upgrade - to many pisa. But that program was on the right track function wise. Network Magic for the PC did a good job with the map part, but alas I would have to be in VM mode to use that. Neither of these included messaging. Any other ideas? thx...

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 09:30 AM

Your router can tell you the MAC/IP/name of connected clients.
There's no universal messaging system; if you control all the end points you could run iChat with Bonjour enabled.

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2008, 10:08 AM

Hi there mduell, the rub is that my SMC router firmware is not so good, it shows, if i am lucky, the mac address and IP assigned. Most macs show a name too, but not all. PCs never show a name. And I have folks coming and going all day, and administering by mac address access is just a pain. So i just hand out a friendly WPA password and leave it at that. So I am looking for some mapping software that gens a map on the fly. Intermapper says it does this, but in reality the version i have does not. It gives me just what the router does. Hmmm...but maybe something else is wrong seeing I am not getting any names for PCs, and just sometimes names for Macs. Plus, I want something that allows me to send admin notes to all on the network, like you do in Windoze using the built in messaging service. But it sounds like the mac does not have that...I guess ...what... I have to ask everyone that comes in to turn on ichat....what about pcs...tell them to turn on AIM? hmmmm.... there must be a way to do this....but thanks for ur help!
FH

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Cold Warrior
Jul 4, 2008, 10:22 AM

I noticed you're discussing this in the other thread here:
How do I find out who's on my network?, so I'm closing this one. I'll change the thread title on that one to also reflect an interest in messaging LAN clients.

Forum Links
Forum Rules