Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > For Yee Old Graphic Artists... (Photoshop Technique)

For Yee Old Graphic Artists... (Photoshop Technique)
Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2008, 05:09 AM

I recently spent a few hours in Photoshop drawing a piece that I really like, it's not really amazing compared to my other stuff, but I really like the feel of it, and might even want to get it printed up some day, one small problem as I was saving the final copy Photoshop crashed, now not a huge deal normally since you know normally I save every few minutes, and I'll have multiple copies going too. This time, I wasn't smart enough to do that. And after I restarted Photoshop after it beach balled, the file itself was completely corrupted, just a bunch of colourful lines. Now when it beach balled I did a screen capture so I have like a six hundred pixel wide version, but I lost my original 2500 pixel wide version... sucks to be me eh?

So, I used the reduce noise filter, and unsharp mask filters to try and make a blown up version look better, but all my lines aren't as crisp as I would really like them to be. I was wondering if anyone's got a suggestion on how to make this one look a bit more smooth, particularly in the hair line. I'm almost considering trying to use live trace in illustrator and then masking that over the top and try going that route... but if anyone has any suggestions that I haven't thought about I'd love to hear them.

the file can be found at http://flickr.com/photos/isalty/2682123840/sizes/l/ and and it looks like

Thanks for any suggestions. As you can see flickr lets you download the full size. THere was originally more of a stubble look on his face before I smoothed it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 07:51 AM

TimeMachine?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 09:10 AM

THis thread reminds me of this cute guy I saw at the store the other day...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2008, 04:14 PM

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I saw a cute guy at my church once. He was in the SUnday school class I was teaching.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2008, 10:58 PM

You need that software they use in the spy movies where the image gets clearer and clearer as they zoom in...

Ask Tom Cruise?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 11:06 PM

If you plan on blowing crap up, illustrator is your friend. I doubt the autotrace will be very effective, but its worth a shot. Otherwise, start from there next time.

Thorzdad
Jul 21, 2008, 10:31 AM

Sorry to hear about the crash. What is your setup like? Do you have a second hard-drive to use as scratch space in Photoshop? Generally, Photoshop or Illustrator crashing is a memory-management issue, and a second, dedicated HD can cure this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1 View Post
You need that software they use in the spy movies where the image gets clearer and clearer as they zoom in...

Ask Tom Cruise?
Are you actually insinuating that you don't have that program?

Pshh. N00b.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I was wondering why you were staring at me.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 01:45 AM

And for some real advice: Print out the low res version and use it to do a retrace by hand. You are almost certain to get an even better result the second time and have it go faster as you recall what you did right the first time.

There is no way of recovering lost pixels gracefully unfortunately.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

fallen_industries
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2008, 12:57 AM

ok, convert the image to 16 bit, then set your dpi and canvas size to the size your after, then convert back to 8 bit, then do 'select - colour range' with black as your foreground colour making sure your not picking up the gray pixels, just the black ones, then make a new layer, go to 'select - modify - smooth', (muck around with different pixel settings to see what works best) then fill the new layer with the selected area in black and then possbly try blurring by a very small amount. Alternatively you can select the black areas (as above) then in the paths palette go to the small arrow in the top corner and select 'make work path' (I find a tolerance of 0.8 works well) then go to make selection (below make work path) and set it to 1 pixel and with the anti alias on. After that just fill the selected area with black on the new layer. Like I said worth a try!

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2008, 03:31 PM

another shot in the dark so to speak would be to try Genuine Fractals Print Pro plugin, if that's still around for a free download. i think it just automates what fallen_industries recommends, maybe a bit more or less. good luck, nice piece of art...
coocoo

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules