Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Metallica Songs...

New Metallica Songs...
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2008, 05:36 PM

Has anyone else been keeping up with the new songs from Metallica's new album Death Magnetic? I must say that they have definitely gone back in time and taken a lesson from their younger selves. I'm definitely buying the album when it comes out on the 12th....

Here are links to their new songs....
The Day That Never Comes
My Apocalypse
Cyanide

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 05:39 PM

Not a big fan. I like some Metallica, but don't care for this album too much. My $.02.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 06:11 PM

Those fan-hating has beens?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2008, 06:46 PM

Those guys in Metallica are jerks for allowing their fans to record their concerts and encouraging them to pass those recordings on to anyone who wants them.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 07:14 PM

Their new radio single has laughably bad lyrics and the first half of the song is pure shite.

The guitar solo is pretty damn good though.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Those guys in Metallica are jerks for allowing their fans to record their concerts and encouraging them to pass those recordings on to anyone who wants them.
http://archive.salon.com/ent/log/200...fan/index.html

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 09:14 PM

It was all downhill after Master of Puppets, creatively speaking, and the lawsuit against Napster permanently soured me on them. Lars Ulrich can kiss my booty.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 09:51 PM

You mean because they didn't want people sharing music they didn't rightfully purchase? You mean because they didn't want people to bootleg their music?

The AUDACITY!!11!1
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 09:54 PM

I think it's because Lars is a mediocre drummer on his best day and acts like the f**kin pope of awesome all the time.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
You mean because they didn't want people sharing music they didn't rightfully purchase? You mean because they didn't want people to bootleg their music?

The AUDACITY!!11!1
Suing Napster was one thing.

Suing 300 000 fans, another altogether.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2008, 10:19 PM

Time for this these classic again:

Sue All The World

Napster Bad!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2008, 11:26 PM

Listening to "the day that never comes".

Horrible horrible title. This is a horribly encoded file. I don't think it's blocking the genius from flowing through unfortunately. It sounds like a crappy bar band. At least Lars found a drumkit that sounds reasonably like drums unlike the set of pringle cans he was using on that st anger disaster. He still can't play....When does this turn into that "classic metallica sound!" people have been clamoring about? Holy ****. I believe I have heard the worst lyrics ever. I heard it through the distorted fuzz of bad encoding and sought them out online:

"Love is a four letter word
And never spoken here
Love is a four letter word
Here in the prison"

What the **** is happening around 5:45 in? Did they forget how to play guitars? What the hell is this? Oh. Interesting. It's almost back to the master of puppets days when they couldn't end a song. Is that their tribute to the old days? Who wants to bet that Lars couldn't play the drum part at the end with 4 arms?

Oh god. Thankfully that's over. Let's try one more. "my apocalypse" sounds like real log splitter of a title.

I don't know that I would have put that horrible drum so high in the mix.
That drumfill at 1:36 wasn't played by Lars.
What does this lyric mean? "Tossing body mannequin"
Losing attention. OK. I'm done.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2008, 01:57 AM

I'm not impressed and I like Metallica. Or did.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cipher13
Sep 3, 2008, 04:20 AM

Even if I did likeMetallica, and even if they did have talent, I still wouldn't pay for anything of theirs.

...but I don't, and they don't, so it's null.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2008, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Even if I did likeMetallica, and even if they did have talent, I still wouldn't pay for anything of theirs.

...but I don't, and they don't, so it's null.
Which is why you felt inclined to post. Isn't Turtle enough for one site??

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That ain't just their live performances.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 07:56 PM

These songs sound good, but kinda derivative of their older stuff. Many of the riffs sound lifted right outta AJFA and MoP.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 09:12 PM

They did that on purpose as a throw-back to us hardcore fans for releasing St. Anger.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2008, 09:18 PM

Well, it's awful, compared to their early work.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2008, 09:23 AM

The only positive so far I have seen from this album is that the radio stations have put some of the old Metallicats back on rotation.

The one song which I have heard is painful. Sound is woeful, and Jamez should be put to sleep, because it sounds like he is agony.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2008, 09:52 AM

I blame Guitar Hero for the recent rash of old Metallica on the radio, not like it's a bad thing though.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2008, 10:59 AM

Who is this metallica that you speak of?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2008, 12:35 PM

See, this is what happens when people like Metallica don't pay people like Doof for saying "Lars, that's crap".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2008, 08:27 PM

They don't understand me, the consumer... I won't support them.

All I think of from Metallica is Lar's snotty smug face calling me a pirate. He should have found another way like NIN did instead of prosecuting their fans.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2008, 11:08 PM

I have, um, acquired the CD already, and it's freaking awesome.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2008, 11:25 PM

There was a day when I loved Metallica. Today...not so much. All this sounds like is that they're FINALLY caving into public pressure to return somewhat to their old sound, but they're a little too rich and a little too worn out at this point.

"The Day That Never Comes" sounds like it belongs on the black album, but there's little to be impressed with. Nothing stands out as that creative.

"My Apocalypse" is aggressive enough, but I just don't believe Hetfield anymore. And the lyrics are just stupid.

"Cyanide" is just pathetic. They're trying to fake all this passion and angst. Watching them sit around on couches and stroke their egos in front of a psychologist and living through Lars' whole Napster pity party probably does a lot to fuel this perception, but I just think they're punks whose best days are (far) behind them.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 03:05 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 03:07 AM

If James Hetfield in plaid shorts and sandals carrying an Armani bag doesn't make you smile...

Gareth Johnston
Sep 5, 2008, 03:16 AM

What do people have against them enjoying the money they've gathered over the years. So what if the album sounds like they used to, thats what they wanted. St Anger was the crappest of all their albums. It was worse than Reload for god sake and that wasn't worth wiping your *** with.

I guess jealousy does that.
Mac Pro 2.8GHz x 8, 10GB, 320HDD etc.........
Saving for 32 core Mac Pro. Only £1376.93 to go.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 06:52 AM

Yep, it's a freaking great album. Basically, they "finished" Master of Puppets -- so if you like old skool Met, you'll like this. Unless of course, you're a whiner.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:24 AM

Yep, it's a freaking great album. Basically, they "finished" Master of Puppets -- so if you like old skool Met, you'll like this. Unless of course, you're a whiner.
Sorry, from the clips I heard, it's not "old school" metallica. I watched them play when they were touring holes in the wall in the days leading up to Ride the Lightning. This ain't it. Unless of course, you're a fanboy.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 09:47 AM

Right, you've only heard clips -- I've heard the full album.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2008, 09:52 AM

I have, um, acquired the CD already, and it's freaking awesome.
I've acquired it also and it is really good. Unforgiven III and All Nightmare Long intros are awesome. All the guitar work is great on this album.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 10:23 AM

End of the Line is one my current favs.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2008, 10:34 AM

...and I will say that Cyanide sucks.

memento
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2008, 08:43 AM

I really haven't like anything they've done in 10 years or more, but I still hold out hope that they will make another good album. I'm not a holdout for more "classic" Metallica nor am I eager for change. I just want a good album, in whatever style. I listened to this whole album a couple times and I think I like it. I think it's good. I think they might have picked up some tips from helping out Brendon Small. (they even say "death clock" on the album)
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2008, 09:15 AM

I'm close to thinking I like this best out of all of them, myself.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
"Cyanide" is just pathetic. They're trying to fake all this passion and angst. Watching them sit around on couches and stroke their egos in front of a psychologist and living through Lars' whole Napster pity party probably does a lot to fuel this perception, but I just think they're punks whose best days are (far) behind them.
I don't think it's fair to make fun of the band for having a performance coach who happens to have been used by so many other bands, stars and athletes. Nobody has made fun of Tom Morello for hiring Phil. Metallica knew it would be embarrassing yet they still allowed the film makers to shoot the sessions because they didn't want anything to compromise the portrayal of what really happened.

As for Napster, Lars and others have claimed he was martyred by the industry once they heard he was upset about an unfinished version of "I Disappear" being leaked. He was most upset because it was an obvious inside betrayal by someone trusted with the track. Whether all this is true or not isn't even relevant to "Death Magnetic" anyway, because it was 9 YEARS AGO.

What is relevant, and what should be the main point here, is that Metallica are wanting to be what they were so long ago and so far it seems that they are on the right track. I have every Metallica album and EP from "No Life 'Til Leather" up to "Garage Inc." Yes, that means I skipped Load and Reload, HOWEVER I will definitely get this album. In my opinion, they are back, and the Napster and St. Anger jokes and complaints can stay buried. They've all been said before anyway.
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aquataris View Post
they still allowed the film makers to shoot the sessions because they didn't want anything to compromise the portrayal of what really happened.
They MIGHT have wanted to keep the part where Lars whines like a baby about Hawaiian shirts out of it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Aquataris View Post
I don't think it's fair to make fun of the band for having a performance coach who happens to have been used by so many other bands, stars and athletes. Nobody has made fun of Tom Morello for hiring Phil. Metallica knew it would be embarrassing yet they still allowed the film makers to shoot the sessions because they didn't want anything to compromise the portrayal of what really happened.
Not the point. The point is that their egos were so out of control that they just screamed and swore at each other before finally dismissing the psychologist (it was clear he didn't do a bit of good). Then they released one of the most pathetic albums in metal history.

As for Napster, Lars and others have claimed he was martyred by the industry once they heard he was upset about an unfinished version of "I Disappear" being leaked. He was most upset because it was an obvious inside betrayal by someone trusted with the track. Whether all this is true or not isn't even relevant to "Death Magnetic" anyway, because it was 9 YEARS AGO.
He was martyred? All I can remember is him standing in front of microphones and making a fool of himself day after day.

And it is relevant because this is who Metallica still is. Their persona is that of very tired, cranky old men whose egos have inflated out of control.

What is relevant, and what should be the main point here, is that Metallica are wanting to be what they were so long ago and so far it seems that they are on the right track. I have every Metallica album and EP from "No Life 'Til Leather" up to "Garage Inc." Yes, that means I skipped Load and Reload, HOWEVER I will definitely get this album. In my opinion, they are back, and the Napster and St. Anger jokes and complaints can stay buried. They've all been said before anyway.
OR they said, "Everything we've made since we became unbelievably rich and spoiled has sucked, so we're just going to try to emulate the sound from the days when we were actually putting something out there worth people's hard-earned money.

Metallica's music isn't what it once was because Metallica aren't the people they once were. Period.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 02:09 PM

"We will metalise your mom, Ulrich, you whiney little pansy."
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 02:14 PM

As long as he doesn't crack his voice like he did in the past 3 albums, I might check it out.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2008, 02:14 PM

Looks like a good WWE stable.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 05:36 PM

i can take them or leave them. the songs i've heard on the radio seem...incomplete? oh well. if someone else buys it, i'm sure i'll get a copy

however, really enjoy their live shows though. and their show at ozzfest this year was fantastic. the best part of it/why i think that? KD joined them! long live the king!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcJN9...eature=related

(king has posted a couple updates on his website too that his back is getting better. this was simply a one off appearance since he lives just a few hours from where ozzfest was held).

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Not the point. The point is that their egos were so out of control that they just screamed and swore at each other before finally dismissing the psychologist (it was clear he didn't do a bit of good). Then they released one of the most pathetic albums in metal history.

He was martyred? All I can remember is him standing in front of microphones and making a fool of himself day after day.

And it is relevant because this is who Metallica still is. Their persona is that of very tired, cranky old men whose egos have inflated out of control.

OR they said, "Everything we've made since we became unbelievably rich and spoiled has sucked, so we're just going to try to emulate the sound from the days when we were actually putting something out there worth people's hard-earned money.

Metallica's music isn't what it once was because Metallica aren't the people they once were. Period.

The thing is, how many metal bands from so long ago haven't become what Metallica has become? Lars was always spoiled from birth; his father was a wealthy tennis star. James was an alcoholic and therefore his attitude during the filming of "Some Kind Of Monster" isn't a very fair representation of who he is now. Kirk has never once shown an ego and Rob is the eager cadet. Half of Metallica had personality problems back during the Load and St. Anger period, but how much Metallica have we seen in the time between "Some Kind Of Monster" and now? What is James like post-rehab? How has all the backlash effected Lars? All I'm saying is that for MOST of their career we never saw many glimpses into who they are, yet now that we saw them while they were falling apart everybody assumes we know EVERYTHING about them. We don't. This album isn't emulation, it's the frustration of a band who is being told they are no longer who they are. We have seen Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Slayer, Anthrax and many more go through this kind of process of rebirth so many times that it's amazing that so many people make a big deal out of it happening with Metallica all because a band endorsed biography and a fight against piracy was thrown into the mix. I guess my major point is that whining about Metallica whining is pretty perplexing to me. Simply put, I listen to music for the music, not because of the gossip and accusations involved. This kind of crap is usually reserved for pop music, when it gets thrown in with metal things get a little uncomfortable, so I'll just let this last comment be the end of my participation in the whole personal aspect of this thread and I'll end by saying that I hope this album not only rocks, but also brings Metallica back to the dark corner of the musical world that inspired K'EA, RTL and MOP.

Okay, one more thing I guess. Metal is the bad guy of music. Metal musicians never claim to be the good guys, so whining about a "rock star" attitude is saying you shouldn't be listening to metal in the first place. Metal is fueled by three things; death, alcohol and sex. So, why are we expecting anything unselfish at all out of anybody in Metallica anyway?

swrate
Senior User
Sep 10, 2008, 07:38 PM

Metallica are entertainers. we all have a past (can we choose to whom we are born?) a present a future at least while alive on this planet.
Metallica's music is powerful angry and full of energy. St Anger, & ST Quentin clip
or...both sides of a wall.... life/death; Unforgiven one too
I loved the Black album & Reload and the new songs have punch.
I regret war was used in the clip for "The day that never comes" great song, the first half is better imo and nearly a different song to the second half
will buy the CD
"Those people so uptight, they sure know how to make a mess"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 12:46 AM

Okay, I'll leave it at this and then agree to disagree (and if you have a response, I'll still read and respect it).

Powerful music is fueled by powerful, authentic emotion. I don't believe in the authenticity of the emotions (or lack thereof) in their modern music. Whether or not they're good people isn't for me to judge; I don't know the guys. I can listen to this music without feeling anything though, and haven't felt much from their music in years.

Full disclosure: it should be noted that I stopped listening to metal several years ago though. It doesn't really fit in my life anymore. I can still appreciate good metal though, and this doesn't seem to be it.

IMHO.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2008, 04:16 AM

I respect that completely.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2008, 04:45 AM

I bought the album today. I love it. Kirk especially shines through on nearly every track. I can't stop listening to "All Nightmare Long," which I have noticed has a chorus that brings to mind the delivery and melody of the title track to Grease.

Ω
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by swrate View Post
I regret war was used in the clip for "The day that never comes" great song, the first half is better imo and nearly a different song to the second half
What were they trying to say with this track??

I was hoping that the "soldiers" would find the wounded beast Hetfield in the car and put him down.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Forum Links
Forum Rules