Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Cube stuck in its case?

Mac Cube stuck in its case?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2009, 11:12 AM

Hi All,

I've got an old Mac Cube that I've decided to resurrect for my son's desk. I wanted to take the hardware out of the case to install an Airport card, but the hardware is stuck in the case?? (never had this problem back when I upgraded the RAM and HD, which I will admit was a long time ago).

I can withdraw it about 1/2 way, but there is some sort of obstruction preventing me from taking it all the way out (I can hear a solid-object-on-solid object "clack")

Anybody else have this problem before, and if yes, how did you solve it? (I can't see an obstruction, but the viewing angles are poor).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Chas

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2009, 02:37 PM

Wd-40?

(Sorry, that wasn't at all helpful. Take it to a Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Support agent -- they should be able to assist.)
( Last edited by dimmer; Jun 13, 2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Idiocy on my part.)

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2009, 02:43 PM

I was tempted to cut the top off a can and pour it in there :-)

Genius Bar? It's a pretty old machine, I could see them all gathering around like it was from the 1800s (lots of oohs and ahhs :-) I consider that a last resort (I'm a fair hand and taking apart various Macs, but this is a simple "slide it out of it's shell" issue, without the sliding part).

Thanks anyway,

Chas

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2009, 03:23 PM

Might also be worth a look at The Cube Owner's FAQ and KnowledgeBase | aka The Mac Cube FAQ! -- a quick search didn't come up with an immediate fix, but it was a quick, what-do-I-care? look...

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2009, 07:04 AM

Hey, thanks for that link! Been a while since I took a good look around the Cube, that'll be helpful :-)

Cheers!

Chas

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 09:39 AM

There's a lille flap that the airport card goes in, if it came unlatched and swung out it could snag on the case.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2009, 09:42 PM

A good thought, but definitely not that little flap. I know so, because the whole reason I wanted to take the Cube out of its case was to install an Airport Card. It did slide out _just_ enough for me to slip the AP card between the lexan outer case and the guts of the Cube, and slot it into place <phew>.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules