Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > When did apple stop displaying the mac pro?

When did apple stop displaying the mac pro? (Page 2)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 05:53 AM

So, once you add a decent clock, the MotUs can sound decent, unless they've smashed themselves to smithereens?

That sounds, um, well…

FWIW, Bob Katz runs off Metric Halo AFAIK, and Barry Diament is on record somewhere stating that the ULN-8 is the first audio interface he literally cannot hear.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
So, once you add a decent clock, the MotUs can sound decent, unless they've smashed themselves to smithereens?
That's about the top and tail of it. Only the 192s though (better than the Apogee Rosetta generation) - the rest are crap.

You know why people become mastering engineers? Because they haven't got the ears to be mix engineers.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 10:18 AM

I take it your stuff hits the disc unmastered, then?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 10:27 AM

We're going to get told off for being OT soon. This thread is supposed to be about how Apple are dropping the Mac Pro last week.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 21, 2010, 03:13 PM

I'm still trying to figure out what's being talked about. Professional audio capture cards perhaps, or maybe mixing boards.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2010, 04:08 PM

Yup, pro audio interfaces.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2010, 05:53 AM

Did somebody say "off topic"?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2010, 12:06 PM

What do you think People buy Mac Pros for?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2010, 06:41 AM

To return to the original topic: just went into the Santa Monica promenade Apple store today. No Mac pro. A whole section with iPads for the Christmas shoppers. The Mac Pro will return when Santa Claus has left.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What do you think People buy Mac Pros for?
Pushing around really big pixels.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2010, 06:51 AM

No Mac Pros in the Apple store in Bath, UK either. Its quite a big one too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
Pushing around really big pixels.
Pushing around really big samples isn't exactly off-topic, though, is it?

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2011, 06:03 PM

I would be really surprised if Apple killed the Mac Pro, but I do think they should make sure the base model is faster then it is now (compared to the iMacs, especially as they could well soon be even faster).

I'm fairly confident that while the pro machines don't bring in as much money, they do affect the perception of the brand surprisingly much. This in turn could affect their margins even in slower machines.

But I have to say we have been getting the quad iMacs lately. We had a few Power Macs and early Mac Pro's, these days the iMacs work surprisingly well. However out of the over 500 servers we must have had during the last few years only two where xserves. While I love Macs I really hated osx in the machine room. Much prefer Linux and Solaris (only Linux and a few random Windows boxes left now).

I don't see Apple getting really any market share from the server side unless some kind of osx virtualization with thin clients becomes a hit.

Michael Jolly
Jan 5, 2011, 06:21 PM

None in Liverpool UK Apple store they have been replaced by an express shopping area stocked with Ipods/Ipads/MacBooks ETC
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

Michael Jolly
Jan 6, 2011, 02:12 PM

I will retract the above the Pros be restored to its normal space this morning
Macbook Pro 2.4GHZ 13inch, LED Cinema Display, Iphone 4G 32gb and Ipad 64gb Wifi

Apple addict Since 2004

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by kamina View Post
I would be really surprised if Apple killed the Mac Pro, but I do think they should make sure the base model is faster then it is now (compared to the iMacs, especially as they could well soon be even faster).

I'm fairly confident that while the pro machines don't bring in as much money, they do affect the perception of the brand surprisingly much. This in turn could affect their margins even in slower machines.

But I have to say we have been getting the quad iMacs lately. We had a few Power Macs and early Mac Pro's, these days the iMacs work surprisingly well. However out of the over 500 servers we must have had during the last few years only two where xserves. While I love Macs I really hated osx in the machine room. Much prefer Linux and Solaris (only Linux and a few random Windows boxes left now).

I don't see Apple getting really any market share from the server side unless some kind of osx virtualization with thin clients becomes a hit.

I agree...

I've thought about the virtualization thing, but at this point I'm not sure whether Apple plans to continue OS X Server at all, and therefore whether they really care about providing a solid virtualization server software implementation (with easy remote console support and clustering support and stuff like that), and whether they see money in making it easy to virtualize OS X client.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2011, 11:16 AM

They aren't going to virtualise the client. Not before they either abandon the Mac line entirely, or switch them all to iOS. And even then I don't see it.

FYI Mac Pro was back on display in the Bath store last week.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2011, 09:24 PM

The Apple stores here in town have them and so does the local Microcenter and First Tech, both apple dealers.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2011, 12:54 AM

I bet my friend, 1 penny that their will be no MacPro updates/price drops till late summer.

Just look at the glut of refurb machines in the store....

sux...... neglect-....tion...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

P
Feb 1, 2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by shabbasuraj View Post
I bet my friend, 1 penny that their will be no MacPro updates/price drops till late summer.

Just look at the glut of refurb machines in the store....

sux...... neglect-....tion...
What would you like Apple to put in them? Next update of the relevant processors is pencilled in for Q3.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
What would you like Apple to put in them? Next update of the relevant processors is pencilled in for Q3.
hmm maybe some low budget AMD stuff...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules