Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mavericks and Image Capture, a love story?

Mavericks and Image Capture, a love story?
Sarpedon
Nov 18, 2013, 12:14 AM

Well I’ve downloaded Mavericks and it could have been the worst thing I’ve done since I started using computers.

I’m using an iMac 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 8GB, running (or trying to) OS X 10.9

My apps are slower, Safari is sluggish and sometimes just decided that it doesn’t want me to look at that particular page, Mail takes forever to connect to my server, iPhoto gets hysterical when I ask it to download some pictures for me etc. etc. etc.

But that is not my BIG problems. My big problem is Image Capture.

It just doesn’t work.

I plug in the scanner (Epson Perfection 1260, connected via USB); I click on Image Capture; the program starts up properly; it tells me it is waiting for the scanner to warm up; the scanner comes to life and makes its first sweep. Then when it completes the overview the scanner’s green light goes red and Image Capture tells me there is no scanner.

I’ve tried unplugging the scanner and repeating the process but the results are the same.

Once I got it to scan a few images but in a following session it reverted to its old behaviour.

I’ve been to the Epson website and downloaded the latest drivers (EPSONPrintere2.15.1.dmg), no joy, no change.

I’ve been to the Apple Support site but, well you guys probably know what that experience is like, its just a maze in there. You can get lost for hours and never find your way home again or find what you want.

So is anyone else having the same problems?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Will there be a happy ending?

mindwaves
Nov 18, 2013, 12:35 AM

My solution is to reinstall Mavericks. If that doesn't work, reinstall OS X 10.8.

Sarpedon  (op)
Nov 18, 2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks for that mind waves.

I'm downloading Mavericks again as I write.

How difficult is it to reinstall the current OS on top of the existing OS?

Also if this does not solve my problem is it safe to try to reinstall an earlier OS?

I recall reading somewhere back when I was still using an early version of OS X that it is strongly recommended NOT to try to retro fit an earlier version of OS X.

You advise on these matters will be much appreciated.

John

Ham Sandwich
Nov 18, 2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sarpedon View Post
How difficult is it to reinstall the current OS on top of the existing OS?
Difficult.

That's why I always do an erase and reinstall.

Sarpedon  (op)
Nov 18, 2013, 11:17 AM

So I downloaded Mavericks again and installed it but the problem persists.

Now I have to erase my HD, find a copy of OS X 8 and somehow install it, is that correct?

This seems a big step and Apple nolonger has Mountain Lion as a download. I've already paid for a download copy but now I they are only supplying it as a hard copy DVD.

I've got all my gear backed up on an external HD, how will that be effected by the installation of an older OS? What impact will the stuff I've back up have on the Mountain Lion OS if I do reinstall it.

Questions, questions, questions.

Is anyone else having this problem?

If it is a common problem will Apple release an update in the near future to fix it??????????????

Sarpedon  (op)
Nov 18, 2013, 11:19 AM

Now I have to erase my HD, find a copy of OS X 8 and somehow install it, is that correct?

This seems a big step and Apple nolonger has Mountain Lion as a download. I've already paid for a download copy but now I they are only supplying it as a hard copy DVD.

I've got all my gear backed up on an external HD, how will that be effected by the installation of an older OS? What impact will the stuff I've back up have on the Mountain Lion OS if I do reinstall it.

Questions, questions, questions.

Is anyone else having this problem?

If it is a common problem will Apple release an update in the near future to fix it??????????????

Sarpedon  (op)
Nov 18, 2013, 10:29 PM

Silence!

No one has this problem?

I'm on my own then.

jchunter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2013, 06:37 PM

Reinstalling Mavericks or downstalling to Mountain Lion should be your last resort because it's a great deal of work.

I'd start by determining whether the problem is OS or User specific. Create a new user and login as him - does the scanner work now or is Image Capture still not communicating with it? If it's an OS problem try deleting everything installed by EPSONPrintere2.15.1.dmg, restart and bring up Image Capture. Perhaps the files installed by EPSONPrintere2.15.1.dmg are conflicting with Mavericks' built-in scanner drivers?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2013, 09:50 AM

Silence!

No one has this problem?

I'm on my own then.
On my four computers, I'm not experiencing the issues you have detailed. In fact, the system seems as fast, if not faster, using Mavericks. I can also confirm that Image Capture works normally with my aging Epson scanner.

Powerkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2013, 10:17 AM

I think this may be an isolated case with your setup.

I have some older equipment (Mac Mini SL Server, Epson Stylus Colour Photo 500) and my upgrade to Mavericks is working well. The speed was noticeably faster and the scanner worked as it did in SL. My only trouble was that Mavericks does not support Scanner Sharing any more so we have to go to the Mac Mini to do any scanning. Boo!

I have heard that a shift restart (hold down the Shift key while booting up) will sometimes help. Apparently, it 'resets' some things in the System. I would also try the scanner at that time which may disable the driver you installed for your scanner. If it works then I think the installed driver may be the problem.

The other thing I would try is installing a clean version of Mavericks onto an external hard drive (if you have one) and boot from that drive to test the built-in Epson drivers.

The only way I know to downgrade (without resorting to an 'illegal' download of SL) is with Time Machine. If you have a Time Machine backup you can boot from your Emergency Partition and restore using a Time Machine backup from the day before you upgraded.

I hope this helps.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 20, 2013, 10:45 PM

No, you can boot into the recovery partition (akin to boot discs before 10.7...)
and erase your hard drive from the recovery partition. This way you don't have to go find an older version of OS X. Ensure that your data is properly backed up first. Also jot down your wireless password on paper because you'll need it once re-installation is complete. Then do the erase and re-install the OS. You won't have any special printer drivers on it, just the core OS. Then you can test to see if the drivers are causing the problem after all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules