Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari search redirects to Bing results page

Safari search redirects to Bing results page
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2019, 05:08 PM

When i type in the Safari address bar to search something, the Google page results come up, then it immediately redirects to the Bing results page for the search. It doesn't happen if I load the Google page and type in the webpage search bar, and it doesn't happen in Chrome. I've just updated to Mojave and it is still happening. Search Engine is set to Google in Safari preferences. I think I've got some sort of bug, not sure what it is or how to get rid. Any ideas on what to do?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 29, 2019, 05:12 PM

Check your Safari extensions. You may have one that favors Bing.

I've also seen ISPs that redirect 404s to a search engine of their choice. Usually with a (not advertised) way to disable the "feature" in your ISP account.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2019, 05:23 PM

No Safari extensions installed. I've had the same ISP for years. I have recently bought an ASUS router though, to replace the freebie Technicolor 582n I had when I started with them. I got the ASUS router to use NordVPN in the router instead of per device. So if its something with the connection, and not something on the Mac, it could be the new router (which has its own setup webpage) or NordVPN (I only turn that on in the ASUS page for watching video stuff)

reader50
Administrator
Jun 29, 2019, 05:56 PM

Test from a different user account, and using a different browser. Narrow down if it's a Safari thing, applies to any browser on your Mac, or tied to your user account.

If it's the router, it should apply to any account on your Mac, and may affect other computers/devices too.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2019, 09:12 PM

I recommend trying Opera and Chrome. They have different plusses and minuses, but between Safari, Opera and Chrome, you'll be able to see if it's a browser issue.

Also, this article explains how to prevent Safari from redirecting. Sadly, there isn't a single "block redirects" or "ask before redirecting" or something like that. But ticking off the several options that combine to do it will still do the job.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2019, 05:50 PM

An antivirus app seems to have killed the problem to death, I've got google searches back. Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules