Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes--Importing, Preparing and then Burning, WHY?

iTunes--Importing, Preparing and then Burning, WHY?
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2001, 07:43 PM

When I want to copy an audio CD, iTunes first imports, then prepares and then finally burns a CD. Why is this needed. The tracks are already AIFF. Are there any ways I can skip this? Thanks.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2001, 07:55 PM

Burning on the fly just hasn't been implemented. It does what it's supposed to do (rip and burn collections - not make 1:1 copies) quite well. Everything else is left for third party applications. And iTunes was written for Macs with build in CD burners, so importing first is a must.
You'll have to wait for Toast.

Audio CD tracks are not AIFF.

Developer
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2001, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I should have added that I am burning to a QPS FireWire external burner. It's fast, but would love to forgo the importing process. Unfortunately, Toast 5 doesn't work in X yet, right. BTW, what file are audio CD tracks in? I thought they were AIFF or WAV. Thanks.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2001, 01:21 AM

BTW, what file are audio CD tracks in? I thought they were AIFF or WAV
They are just raw audio data burned/pressed onto the CD. That's different to a data CD with files which also contains redundant data for error correction.
It's the reason why you need oversampling in your CD player. If you have a scratch on your audio CD the data is lost and the CD player must try to mask that error.
They appear to be AIFF in Mac OS X because the system can transparently convert them why grabbing the audio CD.

Developer
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2001, 08:26 AM

One thing I was wondering: Is it faster to just copy the files from the CD to the harddisk instead of importing them in iTunes, or does it take the same amount of time?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules