Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unexplained CPU usage at idle on Mirror Door

Unexplained CPU usage at idle on Mirror Door
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 12:43 AM

I have a new DP 867, running 10.2.1. I've noticed sometimes that it seems a little sluggish. I run "top" from the Terminal. It shows less than 50% idle, with most of rest going to the system. This seems to happen after coming out of sleep. Looking at the list of processes, at the very bottom, it shows that "kernel_tas" is using up to 60% of the CPU(s). It doesn't have a process number, so I can't kill it. The only thing to do is restart. Like I said, I think I've narrowed it down to after I wake the computer from sleep. Any thoughts. It's driving me crazy.

bstad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2002, 12:08 PM

I had a similar problem with a B&W, where trying to just load OSX was EXTREMELY slow. Problem ended up being a USB hub. Unplugged the hub, problem went away. I was pointed to that as a potential problem by someone else who had a firewire hard drive be a problem. Hope this helps!

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 01:01 PM

Hmm, I do have a USB hub for my printer and scanner. I'll try unplugging that and see if it works. Thanks.

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 01:53 PM

I also had the same issue after installing a CDRW internal drive. Every time I booted without a CD in the drive the system would use anywhere from 50-150% CPU from TOP. If I had a CD in the drive, everything was fine.

Upgrading to a SuperDrive fixed the issue though!
--Laurence

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Karl Snyder:
I have a new DP 867, running 10.2.1. I've noticed sometimes that it seems a little sluggish. I run "top" from the Terminal. It shows less than 50% idle, with most of rest going to the system. This seems to happen after coming out of sleep. Looking at the list of processes, at the very bottom, it shows that "kernel_tas" is using up to 60% of the CPU(s). It doesn't have a process number, so I can't kill it. The only thing to do is restart. Like I said, I think I've narrowed it down to after I wake the computer from sleep. Any thoughts. It's driving me crazy.
You can't kill kernel_tas (really kernel_task, but top chops the name). This is the virtual process for the kernel, to report stats for the kernel. So this means that a thread in the kernel (probably a driver) is acting up and consuming a bunch of CPU time. I would remove all periphials except for the mouse and keyboard and see if you can reproduce the problem.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2002, 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I will try that when I get home. I'm at work on a NT box.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 07:30 PM

I've unplugged everything. I'm still having the problem, but not consistently. It seems that if I put the computer to sleep manually, I don't always have the problem, but if I let it sleep on its own, that's when I get the high CPU use. Any other ideas?

real
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2002, 09:21 PM

there's CPU useage on the mirror door wow. Killer Sorry couldn't resist
REAL
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules