Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Rumors

iBook Rumors (Page 2)
Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
[silly rant snipped]

Let this be a reminder for anyone else who reads your posts that this applies to you, Mr. Blur.
when all else fails, resort to a cheap personal insult. youthful enthusiasm indeed.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

jfwjxn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2002, 08:33 PM

Does anybody besides me think that this post has gotten out of hand?
iBook 800 640/30/Combo/12"
Power Macintosh G3 300-1/256/30
WGS 6150/60 240-G3/72/500
Power Macintosh G4 QS 02 800/896/120

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2002, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by jfwjxn:
Does anybody besides me think that this post has gotten out of hand?
Yes.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
Let's look at this real quick.

#1 You're doubting that there will be revised powerbooks. Fine. It's a rumor.

#2 You are not in the market so it doesn't matter to you at the moment. Then why are you whining about this?

#3 It doesn't matter to you at the moment. It sure does if you had to post your opinion.

#4 "i just suggest that sometimes your "youthful enthusiasm" gets the better of you. "

My answer to that: Please read your sig.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Let this be a reminder for anyone else who reads your posts that this applies to you, Mr. Blur.
You sorry brat.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
It's anyone's guess what CPU Apple will be using in their new iBooks. It might be an IBM G3, but then again, a G4 is also very possible.
I think that has to be the stupidist thing I've ever heard you say. If Apple were sticking with the G3 chip why in the world would they lower the MHz? Just because it's going to a 133MHz bus isn't a good enough reason. NO, if these ARE the TRUE CPU speeds, then they are a G4 class CPU.

Either way, I don't believe a new iBook will come out in Jan
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

ravenfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2002, 10:35 PM

As a MacNN newbie, I appreciate what Sean said. Next week I had planed on purchasing the iBook 800/combo. I've already read one book on OS X, and am 1/4 the way through another. Also, I recently found a cool aluminium case on eBay made in Germany that fits the 12" iBook and I jumped on it. So... I'm stoked and I'm commited.

I will STILL purchase the laptop, but will wait until the expo is over. Beacause... 1) if the "ice book" case stays the same and the MHZ goes up, I'll be one happy camper. 2) If the case changes along with a hardware update, I'll be happy because current G3 800 iBooks will be marked down. 3) if nothing is updated, I'll still be a happy camper and purchase said 'Book as planed

That said... ease up on Sean, will ya?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2002, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by ravenfan:
That said... ease up on Sean, will ya?
Ditto.

Yeah, Sean back-pedalled a bit in saying that the iBook update may come in Feb., but the point he's making is that his "inside info" says that a significant iBook update is coming soon, and the exact date of announcement is anyone's guess. If you don't want to listen, or don't believe him, fine - but don't come back to the forums whining about your now-outdated iBook, after his prediction becomes reality!

Sean took his lumps in the Powerbook forum section, too - but he saved a lot of us from regretting buying a TiBook right before a major upgrade, and I'm damn glad that Sean's willing to share his info with us! (My TiSD was well worth waiting for!)

And yes, the iBook just had a minor upgrade, with a speed bump and new video chip - but it's entirely believable that a more major upgrade is coming in Jan/Feb, and unless I absolutely had to buy one right now, .... I'd wait for the next few weeks.

BTW: Even reliable "insider information" will only get you an approximate date of announcement, so whether it's at MWSF, or a few weeks later is just picking nits. Production delays, last-minute design changes, manufacturing glitches, etc., are a fact of life, and even the design engineers probably couldn't give you an exact date at this point!

iBorg

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2002, 01:50 PM

Whatever, everyone wants a better ibook (maybe except the guys just bought one), Sean's information is helpful, I'd rather wait a few more weeks instead of regret later.

Superdrive is good, but I don't think it will be on ibook, for it makes no sence to burn a DVD with a computer hardly can not edit video file. So superdrive with G4 is reasonable.

My dream ibook will be

G4 800 +
640 RAM
40G HD
super drive
64 VRAM video card

Hmm..., does it look like a powerbook?

MrBenn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2002, 04:41 PM

I hope they keep the ports on the side. and the hinge, the hinge is cool.
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

iExcel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2002, 05:04 PM

as always apple is always late in updating its computer line...@##!!! the upgrading ibook to g4 takes forever...@#%% it!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2002, 06:27 PM

And the thread was going so well again....

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2002, 06:31 PM

Apple updates their notebooks at a good pace. Sony's GRX is still using the Mobility RADEON 7500. You can't compare x86 CPU's to Mac CPU's. Apple updates CPU speed and type at their own pace based upon availability and viability.

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 07:47 PM

I think that Apple will have a smaller Tibook since they already have two sizes of iBooks and also that the 12" iBook outsells the 14" iBook. I for one would like to have a smaller more portable G4 laptop whether it is a iBook or, a Baby Tibook.

I have both machines but, I don't take the Tibook with me since the iBook is more durable and has better 802.11 reception.

I know there are people that complain about not having certain capabilities with the iBook like a PCMCIA slot and that is where the Tibook comes in so, if you had the best of both worlds then I think Apple would have another hit on their hands.

I would like to see a iBook sized Tibook with the same features of the current Tibook except with extra ports on the side at least one Firewire and one usb because it is a lot more convenient than the rear ports on the Tibook.
They also need to fix the ability to plug in and remove the ethernet jack. It is extremely hard to get a ethernet jack out of the back of the Tibook.

And finally Improve the Airport reception! put the antennas on the outside if you have to or, on the outside edge of the screen.

Markus

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2002, 08:04 PM

Just relax guys!
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 09:39 PM

I really hope that Apple added good PCMCIA slots to the iBook. That would really be helpful. It would be nice to use my WiFi card without purchasing an airport card.

That is one of the things that really holds me back from purchasing it. The other big thing is I'd like to see it upgradable to a full 1 gig of memory. OS 10.2 benefits from the most ram possible, it seems.

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 10:55 PM

Apparently, you can't predict everything correctly

Originally posted by seanyepez re: Powerbooks:

"In terms of storage, the SuperDrive likely won't happen. The low-end machines will have 40-gigabyte, fluid-bearing hard drives, and the high-end machines will sport 60-gigabyte, fluid-bearing hard drives. It's a surprise they won't include it, but I'm almost sure they weren't able to get the components necessary to feature DVD-writing capabilities on this new PowerBook when they started to make the new 'Books."

Regardless, it's all conjecture here. Personally, I can't see a radical change in the iBook other than a different colour. Given the poor sales of the 14" model, I can see Apple creating a Special Edition model of this with a better screen resolution and a G4 processor.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2002, 12:24 AM

What I would like to see is a bigger screen res other than 800x600 or 1024x768

Lack of screen estate is a very sad thing for me

Also, like some of you guys, I'd like to see a bigger RAM capacity.

Cheers.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Personally, I'd think they'd do better just to update iMovie, because iMovie as it stands for me now is unusable. It doesn't even handle JPEGs properly.

You have a really strange definition of "unusable". You think quake running at 50 FPS is unusable for the love of god.

I know someone who uses iMovie all the time for just that.... MOVIES! And they love it, are totally computer illiterate and never ask for help. The work they put out is also quite good. Not bad for an "unusable" app.

You want unusable, use Windows Movie Maker.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2002, 11:27 AM

I will agree that iMovie is far from unusable, although for people trying to do high-endish prosumer work (something beyond simply rearranging clips and adding transitions and titles, but that really doesn't require anything like Final Cut Pro) it might be frustrating. For the average person I think it is fine.

I would also like to disagree with the person who said there was no point in putting a superdrive in an ibook since it can't edit video anyway. iBooks (especially the new ones) are perfectly capable of doing video editing. If you were a pro, you'd probably want the extra speed and screen space of the powerbook, but for casual video editing it is fine.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 12:12 PM

I still think there's a lot to be said for keeping the iBook on the G3 or derivatives of it, for the sake of power consumption. I have to say with my 1GHz Powerbook that unless OS X becomes a LOT more dependent on the G4's velocity engine, if Apple were to offer me the option in a year of taking out the G4 and dropping in even a slightly higher clocked G3, it would be very tempting. Same basic speed of operation, no more fan noise, another hour or two on the battery. Actually, if the G3 had been developed more aggressively during 1999 and 2000, I think Apple would still be there for the Powerbook too.

Any iBook owners who purchased the 800 in particular shouldn't be too disappointed. I would have probably bought an iBook FOR the G3 and its advantages (battery life, no need for cooling fans etc.) if not for the fact that I simply couldn't touch type on its keyboard and needed a larger display and a bigger hard drive -- speed was not a problem. The best things Apple could do now with the iBook are to continue ramping up the G3, video and bus speed and to put a higher resolution display into the mix somewhere -- maybe a 13 inch letterbox format 1152x768 screen that would display text the same actual size as the current 12 inch one does. And for goodness sake, do something about that squidgy, bouncy keyboard. The keyboard on the Powerbook is excellent; it doesn't take rocket science to anchor the iBook keyboard too with a few dollars' worth of hardware.

Most Photoshop work is in non-Altivec-aware functions, in my experience; relatively few people rip enough CDs for the G3-G4 issue in mp3 files to be significant; and some video editing software seems to run just as well on the G3 as the G4. The G3/G4 issue in MS Office and Appleworks is irrelevant. The main things that stopped the 2001 and early 2002 iBooks from performing quickly were inadequate bus speed (66MHz went to 100MHz in October 2001), inadequate cache (256K went to 512K in May 2002) and inadequate video (the Radeon 7500 in the latest version of the iBook finally allowed playable framerates in 3D games with 32-bit color at the native resolution); not the use of a G3 as opposed to a G4.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 01:16 PM

We haven't seen the last of the G3 yet at least not for the iBooks. The G3's shipping in the current iBooks is rated for 1Ghz. I think Apple is gonna squeeze every last bit of juice it can out of it.

I'm betting 933Mhz/1Ghz G3 in the next iBook revision

Leia's Right Bun
Banned
Dec 28, 2002, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I will agree that iMovie is far from unusable, although for people trying to do high-endish prosumer work (something beyond simply rearranging clips and adding transitions and titles, but that really doesn't require anything like Final Cut Pro) it might be frustrating. For the average person I think it is fine.
Those are the cheap people who want everything for free. When the Free app they have can't do the pro work they need to do they call it unusable.

iMovie is incredible for what you mentioned above and it is totally usable.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
Those are the cheap people who want everything for free. When the Free app they have can't do the pro work they need to do they call it unusable.

iMovie is incredible for what you mentioned above and it is totally usable.
I agree...I use it all the time for making home movies...then I burn them to DVD.

No complaints here.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 07:19 PM

While reading this thread i have come across many people who would be "pissed" if the new ibooks were significantly better. I to agree with those people. Many laptops and desktops apple has made could have been made better or made to last longer just by being able to upgrade the video card, as said by previous users. This goes to show the increasing dissapointment in apple's inability to cater to the users needs.

Now i'm not hater, i luv my macs, but even my pismo, which i sold, could have lasted longer if only for a video card upgrade.

Hey Sean, thx for the news, see ya when school starts up again.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 09:05 PM

I've already purchased a TiBook (so the fate of the iBook in the near future means little to me ), but what would be nice to see is a widescreen iBook (preferably in place of the 14" iBook, which is a bit redundant). Get a resolution like 1152x768, focus more on the gain in width than depth, and so on. You would get more of the benefits of a larger laptop (including room for a larger battery), and fewer drawbacks. I'd have bought one if it had been available.
ļ£æ 24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

blindemboss
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2002, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
but what would be nice to see is a widescreen iBook (preferably in place of the 14" iBook, which is a bit redundant). Get a resolution like 1152x768, focus more on the gain in width than depth, and so on. You would get more of the benefits of a larger laptop (including room for a larger battery), and fewer drawbacks. I'd have bought one if it had been available.
This would be nice...but frankly this would require an all new form factor which is rather costly.
Just simply keeping the existing 14" non-wide screen form factor is fine as long as they bump up the resolution.
If this happens, and either a 933 G3 or any G4, I'll be ready with my money.

x user
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2002, 01:57 AM

Well, I'm not quite "addicted to Macnn" yet so I don't know if i'm allowed in this arguement, But if apple doesn't come out with a new enclosure for the iBook, they'd better not make it a bit bigger or their gonna piss off alot of people, (me included). I am selling my cube, and planned to buy a 12" combo in late Jan or Feb, but if they increase the size without adding some MAJOR enhancements, i'd buy used instead. This, incidentally, was going to be my first NEW mac.

Now i Gotta go fix my sig somehow... Durn Mac.com

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2002, 09:08 AM

I'm already thinking maybe someday in the future about getting a new laptop (something I've been wanting for a LONG time).

A lot of the time I regret not buying a powerbook in the first place.

I like the ibook, it's a fine laptop, but frankly I prefer the form factor of the tibook. It's more delicate, yes, but I've had rather delicate laptops before.

Truth is, when it comes to the styling, and the feel of the laptop, I like the tibook better. The speakers are next to the keyboard, the screen is wide (something familiar as I like the way my cinema display is), it has a pcmcia slot, and it looks cooler to me.

And the fact is I can get a powerbook for 2k. That's not painful for a good laptop
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2002, 02:40 PM

Hmm...a very interesting thread.

I believe there may be an announcement (re: the iBook), but I certainly don't regret my purchase because it fulfills my current need (and made a decent ROI).

Here's what I think, based on pure guesswork (!):

-a new PDA
-a new slot-loading 19" (maybe) and 17" iMac, with faster SuperDrive and updated graphics card
-a higher-powered XServe
-another "iMazing" annoncement

possibly some minor upgrades on the other lines. Let's not forget that the largest audience for the iBook is not the consumer market, but the educational vertical--that's what the iBook is engineered for; not video editing.

I hope the Airport card could be exchanged to a new Bluetooth+WiFiļæ½now that would be genius. I wonder what the possibility is there?

enjoy.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2002, 10:20 PM

The new enclosure is pretty secret. Apple's got something up their sleeves. They have them floating around Apple in prototype casings.
Boy Sean, I admire you for giving us inside info...I sure hope you're right...AGAIN!
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

NETTEN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2002, 04:48 AM

Whatever, we'll know it in 2 weeks, so just calm down, and enjoy what you have had.

PowerPC 750FX
Dec 30, 2002, 05:08 AM

For those interested in purchasing iBooks anytime soon, I've been able to obtain some interesting information pertaining to future iBook hardware.

New iBooks are coming out at MWSF in January of 2003. The new iBooks will feature a new enclosure. They're supposately extremely sweet machines. The person I talked to about the new iBook declined to say whether it was a G3 or a G4, but I'm inclined to believe that they will be 600- and 733-megahertz G4's.
uhh...

i just read through your reference to this thread here... and i agree with what powermacman said.

"You said the exact same thing before the 800's were released.

1) 600-733 G4's.
We didn't get that.
2) New enclosure.
We didn't get that.

All you are doing is making people who should be having a load of fun with their new iBook 800's regret purchasing them, and that is wrong.

At this moment, this thread has been viewed more than 2,000 times, and the topic which you directed us all to over in the iBook section has more than 4,000 views.. Of those 6,000+ views, hundreds could be from people looking to purchase iBooks in the near future that now wont because of what you have posted.

This type of thread does more damage to Apple and the Macintosh community than anything a PC troll could say, or that a TV commercial could show.

Unless you know for sure, don't make posts like this."

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2002, 06:46 AM

As someone who, for months, followed Sean's posts in the PowerBook forum, my advice would be to have a few pinches of salt by your side when reading his posts! I have nothing against someone posting rumours, but be aware that Sean is no more accurate than SpyMac or MacRumors or ThinkSecret.

Guessing that a new PowerBook was coming out was a no-brainer. The PowerBook was, at the time, the oldest product in the Apple line so obviously it would be updated. The specs and the release date were difficult to guess, and Sean was wrong on both counts.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2002, 07:26 AM

It's so pathetic how people "predict" updates in the various message boards I go to. Remember after the DVI PowerBooks came out in late April? People were saying that a new one would be released in July! Yeah, right... three months? I think not. And the DVI upgrade was quite minor (only a little bigger than the most recent iBook update).

There are so many reasons why the iBook won't be updated any time soon. First of all, it certainly won't be as Seanyepez says it will be. He just took the predictions he posted last time and posted them again, and apparently a bunch of people just decided that although he's always been wrong in the past, he'd be right this time. A 600/733 MHz lineup? Hello? That would be decreasing the clock speed, which Apple never does. When moving their product lines from the G3 to the G4, they've always either done a minor speed bump or kept the speed the same (500-500 on the PowerBook, 450-450 on the PowerMac, 700-800 on the iMac). Even if a G4 iBook is released, it'll be a 700 and 800 MHz model.

And the bus speed. It won't be 133 MHz, no way. The iMac has had a 100 MHz bus since late 1999, and the iBook didn't get it until mid 2001. I don't think the iBook would move to a 133 MHz bus so quickly, especially with the iMac at a higher clock speed.

The iBook doesn't need an update. It's the best price/performance in Apple's lineup, and it stacks up well against PC notebooks. Their desktops, however, suck. Apple knows this, just as we do. They will release new desktops before they release new laptops. Macworlds are known for product updates, but how often do you see three or four major updates there? The answer is never. Apple's first priority is the iMac/eMac duo, and then it's the PowerMac. Hopefully they'll update both, but it's more likely that they will update the iMac/eMac at MWSF and the PowerMac in late January or February. Then the iBook and PowerBook will be updated a few months later, just like last time.

Also, Apple wouldn't want the iBook to step on the iMac's toes. Right now, the iBook is already getting dangerously close to iMac territory, offering a combo drive, 1024x768 screen, and 800 MHz speed for less money than the combo drive iMac (which also isn't portable). Any further updates would drive iMac sales even further into the ground.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2002, 04:34 PM

I just opened up my Macworld and read that Apple announced the new iBooks and Powerbooks. There wasn't even a review in the magazine, as this was just a news article talking about the upgrade. Are we honestly supposed to believe that Apple is going to update the iBook when magazines just covered an update of the iBook in their January edition of the magazine, which would actually be on newsstands at the SAME time as a NEW announcement for new iBooks?

So, by the time people read the magazine and look for the new iBooks mentioned in Macworld, they will get newER iBooks? When you think about things logically, this is obviously not a true rumor. It would be quite silly for Apple to update a line they just updated.

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2002, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Also, Apple wouldn't want the iBook to step on the iMac's toes. Right now, the iBook is already getting dangerously close to iMac territory, offering a combo drive, 1024x768 screen, and 800 MHz speed for less money than the combo drive iMac (which also isn't portable). Any further updates would drive iMac sales even further into the ground.
You are so right it is scary. I recently spoke with a friend of mine who works at CrapUSA and he said that a lot of customer have opted for the $999 iBook over the iMac because of the price and portability. I also spoke with my sales rep at MacZone and she said basically the same thing. The new lower priced iBooks are already starting to cannibalize iMac sales. Good for the iBook I guess.

The new iMac's specs are going to have to rock to make up for sluggish sales!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 31, 2002, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by skyman:
...CrapUSA...

After having worked there, I can tell you that it is CompUSSR.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
After having worked there, I can tell you that it is CompUSSR.
From a consumer's point of view, I can tell you wholeheartedly that CompUSA is better than Fry's.

I merely post what I hear and read. Take to heart what you want to. Some people find it helpful to heed my advice in making purchasing decisions. Others don't care.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2002, 07:13 PM

If iBook was G4 and kept the pricing it has now AND didn't disable the Mirroring Hack, I would be so there.

iMac would be on eBay so fast my head would spin.

It's all that's keeping me from the iBook. the G4 I mean.

mishav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2002, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by fibroptikl:
Great, I just spent $1300 on an iBook that was only to be updated by a G4.

Regardless, the iBook's are a nice laptop but I'm having a hard time loving my iBook. $1300 would get me some nice computer hardware though. Oh well, only time will tell.
Same here, I just spent 1300 buckaroos, only to hear this. But I guess this is inevitable in world of technology. However, I must say, that while speed is nice, it is the quality of the iBook I enjoy the most. Because, if all I cared about is speed, then Id blindly purchase a fast pc laptop. Cheers

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2002, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Leia's Right Bun:
You have a really strange definition of "unusable". You think quake running at 50 FPS is unusable for the love of god.

I know someone who uses iMovie all the time for just that.... MOVIES! And they love it, are totally computer illiterate and never ask for help. The work they put out is also quite good. Not bad for an "unusable" app.
Heh. Quake III at 50 FPS is more than "usable". It's not "ideal" though.

OK, I'm a little harsh on iMovie. Overall it's a pretty good program, but it still has some significant problems. (Presumably from an improper Carbon port?) Despite Apple's claim of cross-platform compatibility, iMovie doesn't even handle standard JPEGs normally. See here. In fact, it won't even handle JPEGs from iPhoto normally. Making a simple slideshow can be a Royal Pain (tm). If they would correct this problem I'd be a LOT happier with it.

But this is off topic.

Back on topic. I will repeat that I do not believe the iBook will be updated at MWSF.

And yes I think it is bizarre that some users complain that an iBook would be updated so soon. I don't think it will happen, but improvements are always welcome.

And HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2002, 10:53 PM

All I want is a G4. If it ain't G4, I don't care.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2003, 02:37 AM

We'll see what happens on the 7th. I have heard that a SuperDrive might be in the works as well.

passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 1, 2003, 02:51 AM

Do you guys think Apple is concerned with putting a G4 into the ibook for fear of cutting into pb sales?

I think the ibook is a great machine and Apple will sell a lot of them if they give it a G4. I suppose the pb's video chipset, cardbus slot, screen, etc would still justify pro users purchasing it vs the ibook. With the ibook being the last model to use the G3, gotta wonder when they will bump it to a G4.

razzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2003, 07:17 PM

I don't understand the people who say a G4 in the iBook would hurt the PB's sales.

Apple put a G4 into the iMac, and made a whole new G4 based computer, the eMac...have they cut into the Powermac's sales?

No.
G3 iMac, graphite
600 MHz
768 MB RAM
OS 10.2

joe_kr
Jan 1, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by razzy:
I don't understand the people who say a G4 in the iBook would hurt the PB's sales.

Apple put a G4 into the iMac, and made a whole new G4 based computer, the eMac...have they cut into the Powermac's sales?

No.
Actually... PowerMac sales are down... so you can't say it did or didn't.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by razzy:

No.
It's a completely different situation.

The Power Mac is an expandable desktop, with swapable parts, that allows for an independant display to be used.

The iMac is an unupgradeable appliance with the power of the Power Mac. People who want or need expandability are going to go with the Power Mac, and the performance gap would have to be pretty huge, and in the iMacs corner in order to get them to buy one over a tower.

The iBook and the Power Book are the same type of machine. If people can get a similarly powered iBook for 1/2 the price of a Power Book, and only have to sacrifice a PCMCIA slot, why wouldnt they?

jfwjxn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2003, 09:39 PM

I just purchased an iBook even though the rumours are going around. For me, and many others that look at the iBook (especially those that have the money to buy a Powerbook) choose the iBook because of its small form-factor, and the durability. My other choice was a 667 Powerbook G4, and I chose the iBook, mainly because of the faster combo but also because I am going to be using this at school a lot, and don't need the extra speed yeah it would be nice to have a G4 when doing some stuff, but for most things that the people that are buying the iBook for they don't do those intense of things, and if they plan to do that, and they have researched both the iBook and Powerbook than shame on them, but we don't need Apple to bring the price of the iBook back up again when we just got a great laptop with lots of portability for under a $1000, yes it might be only $1 under, but still under. There is no way that with Apple's margins that they can afford to put a Superdrive in the iBook, let alone a G4. Unless you want to convince switchers that the iBook G4 is really worth $1200 and up!
iBook 800 640/30/Combo/12"
Power Macintosh G3 300-1/256/30
WGS 6150/60 240-G3/72/500
Power Macintosh G4 QS 02 800/896/120

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
The difference there was that EVERYONE knew that there was going to be PowerBook revision. The "blasting" came from people who disagreed with the type of revisions.

In any case, I've been wanting for a long time a "semi-pro" machine in between the iBook and PowerBook: Smaller screen and smaller footprint, but with the power of the G4 Titanium. (I bought the TiBook because such a machine doesn't yet exist.) If they were to introduce such a beast, that'd be great, but if anything that wouldn't be a new iBook, but a new TiBook (regardless of any name given to it). I do not believe that the current models of the iBook will change significantly.
No. Mostly everyone ALSO disagreed with his "in a week or so" predictions. They not only disagreed with his features, they also disagreed with his DATE which his was a day or so off.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2003, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by passmaster16:
Do you guys think Apple is concerned with putting a G4 into the ibook for fear of cutting into pb sales?

I think the ibook is a great machine and Apple will sell a lot of them if they give it a G4. I suppose the pb's video chipset, cardbus slot, screen, etc would still justify pro users purchasing it vs the ibook. With the ibook being the last model to use the G3, gotta wonder when they will bump it to a G4.
Actually, I think if they put a G4 in an iBook it would HUGELY cut into TiBook sales, unless the TiBook starts to come in a slimmed down lighter model as well.

One of the biggest drawbacks of the TiBook for some people is its physical size. I like the cardbus slot and DVI, although the Radeon 9000 is not really necessary for me. I'd love to have a smaller TiBook. I'd also like a souped up iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules