Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Installing TIGCC...

Installing TIGCC...
Synotic
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2004, 10:19 PM

OK, I hate to ask someone else to just figure something out for me but I am really at my wit's end with this. My objective is to code C programs for my TI-89... currently the best tool for this seems to be TIGCC. It works well in Virtual PC but I prefer to work primarily in OS X. Luckily TIGCC provides a Linux version with both binaries and source. Generally I can follow a basic installation process... ./configure, make, perhaps edit a few lines, get additional packages, make some other accommodations etc... but for this I just haven't been able to figure it out.

With the binaries, it should be pretty easy, I just have to run a shell script to install everything I need. Unfortunately I don't have any dialog programs installed (kdialog, xdialog, cdialog etc...) So I go off and search for some of them... I was able to find 3 of them... but when I try to compile it gives off an error of some unsupported feature or missing file... So I decide to go with the source... But after reading the instructions it refers to folders that don't seem to exist such the scripts folder which holds the necessary install wizard... Just one of the many annoying things I'm dealing with...

I'm going to keep at it but I was hoping someone could take a lot at the app and perhaps give me some advice on how to proceed. Thanks for any help

http://tigcc.ticalc.org/linux.html
...and I'm running Panther with the Developer's Tools installed.

utidjian
Senior User
Mar 3, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Synotic:
So I decide to go with the source... But after reading the instructions it refers to folders that don't seem to exist such the scripts folder which holds the necessary install wizard... Just one of the many annoying things I'm dealing with...

I'm going to keep at it but I was hoping someone could take a lot at the app and perhaps give me some advice on how to proceed. Thanks for any help
I grabbed a copy (thanks for the link BTW)... it doesn't unpack as I would expect it to (to its own subfolder). The copy I grabbed was this one: http://tigcc.ticalc.org/linux/tigcc_src.tar.bz2 What did you use to unpack it? I think they mention that Stuffitt Expander (or whatever) sometimes mangles files. You might want to download the plain tarball and unpack from the commandline.
Anyhow I created a folder for it... moved it in there... then unpacked it and the scripts/ subfolder with all the scripts in it is there. Also, in the parent folder there is a README.osX file with very specific instructions. Did you follow those? Since they are written by the guy that actually is maintaining the Mac OS X port you might want to ask him for help. Might expedite things a bit ;-)

From the AUTHORS file:

Current maintainer:
===================

Kevin Kofler
web: http://tigcc.ticalc.org/linux/
mail: [email protected]
-DU-...etc...

OreoCookie
Mar 3, 2004, 10:54 AM

How do you transfer the code to your TI-89 (I have one lying around ...)?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Synotic  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2004, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by utidjian:
I grabbed a copy (thanks for the link BTW)... it doesn't unpack as I would expect it to (to its own subfolder). The copy I grabbed was this one: http://tigcc.ticalc.org/linux/tigcc_src.tar.bz2 What did you use to unpack it? I think they mention that Stuffitt Expander (or whatever) sometimes mangles files. You might want to download the plain tarball and unpack from the commandline.
Anyhow I created a folder for it... moved it in there... then unpacked it and the scripts/ subfolder with all the scripts in it is there. Also, in the parent folder there is a README.osX file with very specific instructions. Did you follow those? Since they are written by the guy that actually is maintaining the Mac OS X port you might want to ask him for help. Might expedite things a bit ;-)

From the AUTHORS file:

Current maintainer:
===================

Kevin Kofler
web: http://tigcc.ticalc.org/linux/
mail: [email protected]
I unpacked using bunzip2 and tar... after following the instructions. It turns out my main problem was that I had a botched installation of xcode so I need to reinstall it... Unfortunately I can't access any ftp site now with my crappy internet connection so I'll have to do something about that. I think that I have a better grip on the whole overall installation process now though... so once I get xcode reinstalled, everything should go much more smoothly.

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
How do you transfer the code to your TI-89 (I have one lying around ...)?
You can buy a USB cable for about 15 bucks... but don't buy it online from officedepot... they charged about 8 bucks in shipping and handling! As for software, the official one from ti.com is actually pretty good... it was made using Cocoa. There are some third party ones but I they didn't seem as good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules