Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No power light on 12" PB--10.3.8 related??

No power light on 12" PB--10.3.8 related??
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2005, 10:23 PM

My wife's 12" PB seems to have another problem. The power light in the latch doesn't seem to be working (when sleeping). I think I noticed this about the same time that we've had problems with the wake from sleep problems. I don't know if the 2 are related. I've done the usual things (fixed permissions, disk first aid, etc.)
( Last edited by placebo1969; Feb 28, 2005 at 11:53 PM. )

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by placebo1969:
My wife's 12" PB seems to have another problem. The power light in the latch doesn't seem to be working. I think I noticed this about the same time that we've had problems with the wake from sleep problems. I don't know if the 2 are related. I've done the usual things (fixed permissions, disk first aid, etc.)
Umm.. you know that light is only supposed to be on when the computer is asleep. There is no power light.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2005, 11:53 PM

If the "sleep" light on the latch does not come on when you put your powerbook to sleep chances are it's a defective sleep light. my sleep light came DOA but the rest of the powerbook is functioning normally. Call up Apple and explain your situation they will make you run though a bunch of tests like hardware diagnostics etc.. and if it turn out your sleep light is defective and your under warranty they will replace it.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2005, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
Umm.. you know that light is only supposed to be on when the computer is asleep. There is no power light.
Yes, I should have been more clear on that. I doesn't work when it's sleeping. Sorry. I'll fix my original post. I doubt that the light has burned out, but I guess it's not a big deal.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2005, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by bleee:
If the "sleep" light on the latch does not come on when you put your powerbook to sleep chances are it's a defective sleep light. my sleep light came DOA but the rest of the powerbook is functioning normally. Call up Apple and explain your situation they will make you run though a bunch of tests like hardware diagnostics etc.. and if it turn out your sleep light is defective and your under warranty they will replace it.
Thanks. It's not that big of a deal. I just thought it was coincidental that I noticed it around the same time as the wake from sleep problem.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by placebo1969:
Yes, I should have been more clear on that. I doesn't work when it's sleeping. Sorry. I'll fix my original post. I doubt that the light has burned out, but I guess it's not a big deal.
Well, if that's the case, I would have Apple look at it. I wouldn't want to spend top dollar for a laptop and not have it work properly.

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2005, 12:28 AM

Meh, it's about 1 1/2 years old.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 12:40 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=230925

I believe it is hardware related.... perhaps not...

try pressing the button latch in with some blunt object while holding the screen down maybe like a pen cap...or your finger for that matter...

This seemed to fix the problem, but then it would return, this behaviour leads me to think that it is a hardware problem, related to a connector or sensor...

something is not making a "positive contact" maybe?
( Last edited by shabbasuraj; Mar 1, 2005 at 12:45 AM. )
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2005, 12:06 AM

Tonight it was working again, but it was plugged in, charging. Strange.

Forum Links
Forum Rules