Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stand for mounting keyboard over trap set/snare

Stand for mounting keyboard over trap set/snare
Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 03:08 PM

This may seem like an odd request, but does anyone have any info on a good synthesizer stand to mount a synthesizer in a position to be usable by a player sitting at a drum set? I'll be playing percussion in a pit orchestra in the next few weeks, and some of the parts (mallet instruments, timpani, etc) will need to be synthesized due to lack of space. My regular stand won't really put the keyboard in a usable spot, though.

Ideally, I'd like some kind of boom stand to allow it to hover in a spot just overlapping my snare drum.

The synthesizer in question is a Yamaha 61-note deal, so nothing too big is needed.

Anyone got any thoughts?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 03:12 PM

I've seen them on a stand above a double floor-tom arrangement. Without knowing cymbal or tom placement, it's hard to say.

Is 61-key necessary?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
Is 61-key necessary?
No, but it's all I've got.

As for tom/cymbal arrangement, I don't need much (the show is The Music Man). A single tom and a crash cymbal will probably do it, which will allow me to be pretty flexible, placement-wise.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 03:35 PM

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2005, 03:43 PM

I'd suggest getting a smaller midi controller (say, 49-key or less) just to save some space.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I'd suggest getting a smaller midi controller (say, 49-key or less) just to save some space.
Well, sure, if you wanna finance it!

I've also got an M-Audio Keystation 61es, which is also 61 keys, but overall it's a much smaller controller. I was thinking about routing that through GarageBand with Jam Pack 4 on my PowerBook to get some really nice timpani/mallet instrument sounds, but I'd still have the problem of putting the keyboard in a usable place (and adding the hassle of where to put the PowerBook), and then it wouldn't be as easy to switch voices (my Yamaha has Quick Access buttons which I can program to let me change voices instantly).

misc
Apr 6, 2005, 05:14 PM

Spec it yourself and have the crew make it. If you need help designing it, contact me off board.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Forum Links
Forum Rules