Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Hard Drives above 250GB?

Hard Drives above 250GB?
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006, 10:58 PM

Hello all,

I'm looking at getting an external HDD. The enclosure can support up to 500GB, so naturally I want to get as bigger HDD as I can afford.
I'm looking at either a 250GB or 300GB Seagate Baracudda drive. The price difference between the two is around 30 USD.

I was just wondering, I remeber vaugly reading somewhere that anything over 250GB is not as good, as it's somehow like having two drives together as one, so there is more possiblity of failure, or something?

I really doubt this is right, but I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure.

Thanks.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2006, 11:21 PM

I remember hearing something similar to that, but only when two drives are used as one mass external drive. I think the lacie big disks that were 500Gbs were actually 2X250Gbs in there.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2006, 11:51 PM

the largest hard drives don't necessarily offer you a better deal. figure out which capacity has the best GB per dollar ratio and go with that size.

-r.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 12:50 AM

The "big drives are two disks in one" is just for some LaCie (aka LaCrap) pre-assembled external drive products where they put two disks in one bigger enclosure.

The drives from 250 - 500GB are all about the same in terms of reliability. Currently 250GB drives give you the most space for the price, but 300GB and 320GB drives are steadily coming down.

Newegg(.com) has a bunch of drives/enclosures and I recommend buying from them.

mountainash
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2006, 12:05 PM

Yes, what you heard was almost certainly in relation to the LaCie 500GB drive which used two 250GB drives. These days you can buy single drive units that are 500GB. I believe that the largest single 3.5" drive size is 500GB at the moment. However, large drives are generaly slightly less reliable than smaller drives (especially the bleeding edge capacities).

As for your choice go for the most Gigabytes per dollar. Divide the capacity in Gigabytes by the price in dollars. The bigger the number the better the value. Depending on where you get the drives, the best price will be around 200-300GB. The 400GB drives are quite a bit more expensive.
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

Forum Links
Forum Rules