Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Two monitors up to 1 Dvi source

Two monitors up to 1 Dvi source
Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 09:29 AM

Hi, I know this question has been asked before, and I'm sorry for repeating it, but I couldn't seem to find some of the threads mentioning it.

Anyway, My dad recently purchased a maxed out 15" Macbook Pro, he also purchased two 20 incers. He wants to hook up both to the macbook pro, and would like to keep the lid closed during this, I know there is a box out there that takes one dvi source and duplicates it to two, I have looked all over newegg and failed to find anything that is DVI quality.

Links? Thanks.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 12:03 PM

dvi splitter - Froogle

You need the "box type" not the "cable type."

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 04:07 PM

Does this box take the two 20 inchers and make one big picture? In other words, the same image isn't being mirrored by the two displays, they come togther to make one big image, like with 2 hooked up to a G5?

Thanks.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 04:48 PM

The splitters mirror the displays - they will show the same thing. If you leave the MacBook Pro open, the built-in display can be in extended desktop mode with the external display(s), but the external displays would still mirror each other.

If you want to use two (or three) external displays in Extended mode, the only solution I know of at this time is the Matrox DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go.

Problem: those solutions from Matrox are VGA only. You'd need to use a DVI -> VGA adapter coming off the MacBook Pro, and hook up 2 (or 3) VGA displays to the outputs from the splitter box.

Problem2: Matrox can't be bothered to supply configuration software for Mac, so you might have to configure the displays while booted into Windoze. Or you might not, Matrox doesn't seem to have a FAQ either for asking about Mac installations.

( Last edited by reader50; Sep 24, 2006 at 05:16 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 05:11 PM

Oh yes, there is also this answer, for about $900.

Googer-Giger  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 05:48 PM

My dad was looking for a very wide solution, so in case you werent kidding, thanks, its probably going to be the box you said before..

Forum Links
Forum Rules