Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Are there known problems in 10.5.1 with permissions and acls?

Are there known problems in 10.5.1 with permissions and acls?
forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2007, 11:56 AM

Hi all, I have a leopard install in production that is starting to act a little wonky so of course the first thing that i do is check for permission problems or with the disk. The thing i noticed first was that the procedure I used in the tiger days: boot up on install disk to repair mbp internal drive - does not work with the new leopard disk...at least not in the same reliable tiger way...the boot disk will not check or repair permissions, maybe it will but, it just whirs on forever. The boot disk does find ACL # mismatches and fixes those. So I boot up on the drive and then I can use diskutil to correct and repair permissions, and it's finding hundreds of mismatches... system files, printer drivers, and it does not seem to be fixing them for long cause if run the machine a bit and try again, there they are again. The repair process for permissions also takes 30+ minutes. So I am starting to worry this install is on the way out. Fortunately, I have a bootable clone from a few days ago that checks out clean, no ACL or permission problems. I also have a week or so of time machine, but to be honest, i don't think i would trust that for system files. Just a gut feeling. But anyway: is this a known area of contention with leopard or is it just me? thx.
( Last edited by forumhound; Dec 25, 2007 at 12:02 PM. )

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 06:08 PM

Those are known issues, yes. They're not OS problems, per se, but rather reporting issues in the disk utility check. It's nothing to worry about (there are about 400 threads on this in Apple's forums... which show that there are more "bugs" with people learning how to search, than in actual OS issues ;-)

forumhound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2007, 10:01 PM

Ah, so my wonkieness may not be related to permissions and then there is no way to tell if disk utility is wonky too. that sounds bad. but i suppose disk utility will be fixed in an update? but how will that fix the shipped install disk...is that a throwaway?

Update:
Well, I went to the apple site and looked at a lot of posts re: diskutility being bad, but I actually thing the leopard update did screw with all my permissions in a bad way, and it's just not a program problem that can be ignored. For example, there are all kinds of strange permissions on my folders now that were not there in 10.4.11. For example, I run into folders now that are read only or have no access to other then the local user. These were all folders that were shared on the network at one point. Here is just a smattering of the problem (no access/read only access/unknown users):

This is very obvious now, as my mbp is actually just a front-end for working with an xp machine that actually holds many of the files that i work on and programs that i work with. With leopard, I can't get to folders on the mbp like i used to. Is there a tool out there to correct all of this (ie. change permissions on folders/subfolders/file all in one go? Thanks!
( Last edited by forumhound; Dec 26, 2007 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Add pictures of strange permissions....)

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules