Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bush, Africa and Geldof

Bush, Africa and Geldof
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2008, 12:41 AM

I found this article on Bush's recent trip to Africa written by Bob Geldof very interesting. Bush has really helped out Africa.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 02:14 AM

Rule #2 in the Political/War Lounge: never say anything good about President George W. Bush.

NEVER!
Do you understand me??? IGNORE THE FACT THAT HE HAS BEEN GOOD TO AFRICA AND THEY LOVE HIM FOR IT! IT DOES NOTHING BUT HINDER THE IDEA OF BUSH AS A RACIST, BIGOTED REDNECK WHO CARES ABOUT NOTHING BUT DESTROYING INNOCENT MUSLIM NATIONS!!!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 07:35 AM

Hell if Bob Geldof said it, it must be true.
ebuddy

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 12:53 PM

Well, Bush has actually increased US aid to Africa. He's done some dumb things there too, but he has increased the amount of money to the continent of about the equivalent every year of the cost of five days fighting in Iraq. Geldof is a bit of an ass-clown though.
( Last edited by peeb; Mar 3, 2008 at 11:50 PM. )

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2008, 05:09 PM

Increasing Aid budgets in Africa is a two edged sword. Nearly all US Aid is spent on US government projects so the money comes back to the US. In addition they also count as Aid, money spent IN Washington on consultation and lobbying etc. Most other western countries don't do this.

The whole aid/debt relief thing is another can of worms. While debt relief is a noble aim, I'm beginning to think it may not be the main problem. IMHO the biggest issue is corruption. African leaders have it SO good that come reelection time they simply will not go. Kenya for example went from a reasonable state to a disaster in only a few weeks, solely because the government would not get off the gravey train. And this is small beer compaired to Zimbabwe (my wifes home).

I would like to see much more effort on stopping corruption. And not just from an African perspective. For every African politician stuffing millions into their pocket, there's a US or European company handing the money over.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 06:10 PM

Debt relief is something the US will need to call on soon. It is appropriate when corrupt regimes seize control of public assets and run up unsustainable debts on stupid military projects.

Forum Links
Forum Rules