Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you believe Iraq is a threat to the US?

View Poll Results: Is Iraq a threat to the US?
Poll Options:
Yes. 46 votes (42.99%)
No. 61 votes (57.01%)
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll
Do you believe Iraq is a threat to the US?
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 08:48 PM

I think this warrants it's own thread.

Do you believe Iraq is a threat to the US?

Try as I might, I can't see how.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 08:52 PM

No.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 08:56 PM

The Iraqi regime is a threat to its own population, and a threat to its neighbors, like Turkey, Israel, Syria Kuwait, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Iran.

They are not directly a threat to the U.S. at this time. Left unfettered, they could become one, but they have hardly been unfettered since the '91 war.

If all of Iraq's neighbors were clamoring for help defending themselves against an agressive Iraq, we'd be plenty justified in helping them, in the same way we helped Kuwait in '91, but they're not. None of those countries have expressed any real enthusiasm for a U.S. led invasion.

CV

Edit: I forgot Jordan-- also not big fans of Saddam's, but also not exactly clamoring for war.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Usama's Carcase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 08:58 PM

Nam, infidels.

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Usama's Carcase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
The Iraqi regime is a threat to its own population, and a threat to its neighbors, like Turkey, Israel, Syria Kuwait, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Iran.

They are not directly a threat to the U.S. at this time. Left unfettered, they could become one, but they have hardly been unfettered since the '91 war.

If all of Iraq's neighbors were clamoring for help defending themselves against an agressive Iraq, we'd be plenty justified in helping them, in the same way we helped Kuwait in '91, but they're not. None of those countries have expressed any real enthusiasm for a U.S. led invasion.

CV

Edit: I forgot Jordan-- also not big fans of Saddam's, but also not exactly clamoring for war.
well said. However, I'd argue that being a threat in that particular region, i.e., the middle east, and being a threat to the specific countries you mentioned, does make Saddam a direct threat to The Great Satan and the West at large.

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 09:09 PM

I think it's a threat to the US only in an economic state... as far as diplomaticly attempting to block oil to the US (which it isn't to good at)...

It's really an Israeli threat, but since we swore to protect... we must.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2003, 09:20 PM

Iraq and the middle east do not play such a huge role in oil, we wouldn't be in trouble at all if anything.

It's not even really oil that's the issue, see, this problem has a direct effect on us because saddam is a gun-wielding maniac, while (well at first), the korean war wasn't a threat to us, but as I had figured, they're just trying to get our attention.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2003, 09:39 PM

An immediate threat? No. But it is known to be trying to acquire weapons which would make it an immediate threat, and this amounts to the same thing.

The point is to deal with this threat before it turns into another North Korea.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 8, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Usama's Carcase:
Nam, infidels.
ENGLISH, MOTHER****ER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Location: Festering in a mobile bioweapons facility somewhere inside Iraq as they use my flesh to culture anthrax.
Feb 8, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
Contestant: 'I'll take 'Terrorist Languages for $1000, Alex.'

Alex: 'It is the Divine Tongue of Muhammed, and Allah's words are written in this language.

Contestant: What is 'Arabic', Alex?

Alex: Correct!

ding-ding-ding. I've won an all-expense paid trip to Yemen, where I can buy North Korean missiles for bargain-basement prices!

tintub
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 10:00 PM

Of course not

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 10:08 PM

Does it matter what most pople think? If Bush wants to do something they will find one way or another to do it.

"Barwaraaawww"

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Location: Festering in a mobile bioweapons facility somewhere inside Iraq as they use my flesh to culture anthrax.
Feb 8, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Does it matter what most pople think? If Bush wants to do something they will find one way or another to do it.
a valid point, but it's interesting to get a feel for where the folks on the board stand.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:10 PM

Was Afganistan a threat?

Iraq is far better equipped and far better funded, and arguably far more pissed.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by chris v:

CV

Ahhh... i like this poll. democracy in action right here. Well put Chris. Also, lets not understimate the population of that region. I mean many of them do have military power, it may not be much, but it's there, if they dont see need to get all hyper about Iraq, i dont see why a nation literally on the other side of the globe needs to (it's to do with the economy and politics, not freedom).

Also, i dont think the Iraqi people will stand for Saddam much longer. revolutions happed and will happen. If the change of regime comes from within the better. The purpose of the U.N. in the case of states as these, is not to bring about regime/leadership change, thats the job of the population, but to ensure that the state isnt a threat to the international community, and if the U.N.(which include's iraq's neighbours), dont see them as a viable threat, then i see no reason why the U.S. should.

Nothing is etched in stone, Iraq COULD be building up it's arsenal, and if the U.N. dosent see it, it's their/our fault if something happens. But right now, it seems as though the U.S. is a threat to world peace.(not just the middle east)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by driven:
Was Afganistan a threat?

Iraq is far better equipped and far better funded, and arguably far more pissed.
So lets give them some more reason to be pissed with us.....as the great yoda said.... fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
So lets give them some more reason to be pissed with us.....as the great yoda said.... fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.
Appeasment won't work.

If we are nice will they decide not to hate us? Doubt it.
(I have a feeling that we can agree to disagree on that point.)

It's like the guy that keeps taking your lunch money and hates you because you come from a rich family. You can be nice to him, but he'll never stop bullying you unless you decide to kick his ass ...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 8, 2003, 10:28 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 4, 2004 at 11:28 PM. )

tintub
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 10:30 PM

Ahhh... i like this poll. democracy in action right here. Well put Chris. Also, lets not understimate the population of that region. I mean many of them do have military power, it may not be much, but it's there, if they dont see need to get all hyper about Iraq, i dont see why a nation literally on the other side of the globe needs to (it's to do with the economy and politics, not freedom).

Also, i dont think the Iraqi people will stand for Saddam much longer. revolutions happed and will happen. If the change of regime comes from within the better. The purpose of the U.N. in the case of states as these, is not to bring about regime/leadership change, thats the job of the population, but to ensure that the state isnt a threat to the international community, and if the U.N.(which include's iraq's neighbours), dont see them as a viable threat, then i see no reason why the U.S. should.

Nothing is etched in stone, Iraq COULD be building up it's arsenal, and if the U.N. dosent see it, it's their/our fault if something happens. But right now, it seems as though the U.S. is a threat to world peace.(not just the middle east)
absolutely.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 8, 2003, 10:30 PM

I think we should go into a GM forum and post "Which is better, GM or FORD.

I think we'd get fair results.

You guys crack me up with these polls, as if they mean anything in real life.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:31 PM

Appeasment won't work.

(I have a feeling that we can agree to disagree on that point.)

It's like the guy that keeps taking your lunch money and hates you because you come from a rich family. You can be nice to him, but he'll never stop bullying you unless you decide to kick his ass ...
So when exactly did Iraq steal America's lunch money ?Seems to me like we are trying to steal their lunch money...oil.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Feb 8, 2003 at 10:43 PM. )

Face Ache  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:31 PM

Define "they".

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

it's kinda like choosing between republicans and democrats eh ?

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 8, 2003, 11:02 PM

So when exactly did Iraq steal America's lunch money ?Seems to me like we are trying to steal their lunch money...oil.
Eh? THe Us pays for it's oil just like everyone else. We could get ALL the free oil we want if we choose to, but no, we pay for it just like evreyone else. Where are you getting this from?

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 11:18 PM

Good lord no.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2003, 11:22 PM

Oh the baseless accusations. Bizarro
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 11:23 PM

Eh? THe Us pays for it's oil just like everyone else. We could get ALL the free oil we want if we choose to, but no, we pay for it just like evreyone else. Where are you getting this from?
Yes we do now. But when we control the oil feilds, mark my words, oil prices in the US will fall drastically...which will lead to more ppl here buying SUVs, which could get the economy going again.

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Feb 8, 2003, 11:26 PM

Yes we do now. But when we control the oil feilds, mark my words, oil prices in the US will fall drastically
Nostralamus speaks! Harken all Ye lesser mortals!

derien
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 11:26 PM

democracy in action right here.
According to Aristotle, democracy is the deviant form of rule by many. The virtuous version is polity.

This pointless trivia has been brought to you by the holder of a degree in political science who got by mainly by noting the pretty diagrams in all those texts.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 8, 2003, 11:36 PM

Yes we do now. But when we control the oil feilds, mark my words, oil prices in the US will fall drastically...which will lead to more ppl here buying SUVs, which could get the economy going again.
Originally posted by voodoo:
Oh the baseless accusations. Bizarro

derien
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 11:44 PM

I'm afraid I have to insist that this is not about economics. No economic good will come of this, at least for the average consumer. Though it will probably remove a lot of the uncertainty holding back the stock market.... I've said this before, but let me repeat: it's going to be a long time before Iraq's fields can produce at "capacity." The infrastructure has been decaying for over a decade and that won't be turned around before the economy naturally rebounds (I hope).

Furthermore it's unlikely that Iraq will withdraw from OPEC, which sets quotas for its members, so global oil production will not increase significantly enough to affect prices dramatically. I don't believe the U.S. is foolish enough to directly seize control of the oil fields--that would be an open invitation for terrorism. I've heard talk of trusts for reconstruction and the like--probably something like a less-restrictive "oil for food" program.

I don't think this war is about humanitarianism or imminent threats, but I've also really got to hope the administration isn't silly enough to think that Iraq's oil will solve all the country's problem.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2003, 11:45 PM

Good thing I wasn't talking about hawkeye_a

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 8, 2003, 11:49 PM

Good thing I wasn't talking about hawkeye_a
Your kidding me?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2003, 11:52 PM

Your kidding me?

no wait...

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2003, 11:56 PM

[/B]
nice one.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 9, 2003, 12:04 AM

Unoriginal post from voodoo snipped
Your just the MS of posts aren't you?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2003, 12:06 AM

Your just the MS of posts aren't you?
I'll give you a hint: no I'm not.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 12:15 AM

I'll give you a hint: no I'm not.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by rampant:
I believe that our deceased friend here was trying to refer to Vietnam, which, in US slang, is often abbreviated as Nam or, more properly, 'Nam. My guess is, this is an attempt at comparing the situation in Iraq to the Vietnam war.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Feb 9, 2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I believe that our deceased friend here was trying to refer to Vietnam, which, in US slang, is often abbreviated as Nam or, more properly, 'Nam. My guess is, this is an attempt at comparing the situation in Iraq to the Vietnam war.
You would be incorrect in that conclusion. Nam is Arabic for 'yes'. In keeping with my Arab-Terrorist facade, I thought it fitting to use an Arabic word. So yes, I believe Saddam is a threat to the Great Satan.

I apologise for the confusion.

suhail
Senior User
Feb 9, 2003, 01:08 AM

Iraq was never a threat to the U.S. The U.S. just wants the oil, for free! Here is some history:

Secertary Baker encoraged Saddam through U.S. embassador Glaspie to invade Kuwait. That was eight days before Kuwaits invasion in 1990.

The U.S. was after Iraqs oil since the late fifties when Abdel Kassem overthrew the Iraqi monarchy (A British monarchy ruling since the 20's). Kassem's new government founded an organization to resist Western oil monopolies. The CIA, with the help of some U.S. generals, devised a plan called "Canonbone" to invade Iraq and seize its oil. In the early 60s Kassem and thousands of supporters were massacred by a CIA coup.
In the early seventies, the Iraqi oil was controlled by the U.S. and U.K. through the Baathist party which came to power a few years earlier.
The U.S. then urged the Kurds to rebel against the Iraqi government, and were supplied U.S. weapons through Iran (Ayatollah). The U.S. never wanted the Kurds to win, they just wanted an on-going war while the U.S. drained the oil.

And it went on from there, one failure after the other... The U.S. the U.K and Israel were all involved in bringing you the movie "Troubles in the Gulf", vilifying and allying whomever they saw fit. Unfortunately for them, and all the innocent, it had been an on-going disaster.

And now they are planting hundreds of thousands of troops in the Gulf to "get it right".

So pull-up a chair, get your self a bag of salted popcorn, and watch WWIII start right before your eyes.

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Feb 9, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by suhail:
Iraq was never a threat to the U.S. The U.S. just wants the oil, for free! Here is some history:

Secertary Baker encoraged Saddam through U.S. embassador Glaspie to invade Kuwait. That was eight days before Kuwaits invasion in 1990.

The U.S. was after Iraqs oil since the late fifties when Abdel Kassem overthrew the Iraqi monarchy (A British monarchy ruling since the 20's). Kassem's new government founded an organization to resist Western oil monopolies. The CIA, with the help of some U.S. generals, devised a plan called "Canonbone" to invade Iraq and seize its oil. In the early 60s Kassem and thousands of supporters were massacred by a CIA coup.
In the early seventies, the Iraqi oil was controlled by the U.S. and U.K. through the Baathist party which came to power a few years earlier.
The U.S. then urged the Kurds to rebel against the Iraqi government, and were supplied U.S. weapons through Iran (Ayatollah). The U.S. never wanted the Kurds to win, they just wanted an on-going war while the U.S. drained the oil.

And it went on from there, one failure after the other... The U.S. the U.K and Israel were all involved in bringing you the movie "Troubles in the Gulf", vilifying and allying whomever they saw fit. Unfortunately for them, and all the innocent, it had been an on-going disaster.
uh, yeah. Keep living in that dream world, because the shock of reality would kill you. Post some reliable sources, not backwater websites or IP addresses (like a previous poster has done).

Basically what it comes down to is lies and disinformation on your part.

Cipher13
Feb 9, 2003, 03:20 AM

No.

The US wants oil.

Iraq will become a threat if the US attacks, unprovoked...

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
No.

The US wants oil.

that was putting it simply. and i'd say not just iraq, but quite a few other 'islamic' nations COULD BECOME a threat. the 'latest' country to feel threated by the US is, surprisingly, pakistan(read about that here so there's probably a lot more KILLING IN THE NAME OF ___ to come.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2003, 03:56 AM

The US wants oil sooo bad that they are willing to spend enough money on war to buy ALL of Iraq's oil for the next decade.

Are you folks really that stupid or do you just hate Dubya?

That's what I thought.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 9, 2003, 04:11 AM

No.

The US wants oil.

If the US wanted oil, The US could have and can take it if it wants. The US pays for oil just like everyone else. BTW Didn't Bush just sign something to help car companies further along the progress of gasoline-less running cars by 2010? Hmm

Cipher13
Feb 9, 2003, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
The US wants oil sooo bad that they are willing to spend enough money on war to buy ALL of Iraq's oil for the next decade.

Are you folks really that stupid or do you just hate Dubya?

That's what I thought.
Wanna put that in gramatically correct English for those of us who don't live in Tenessee?

I'm assuming you're trying to say "with the amount of money the US will spend on war, they could just buy the oil"?

Wow. If that's so...

1. why give money to Iraq when you can just take?
2. ever heard of inflation? As oil becomes rarer, it will get extortionately expensive...
3. ever heard of the phrase "kill two birds with one stone"? No? *sigh*

If the US wanted oil, The US could have and can take it if it wants. The US pays for oil just like everyone else. BTW Didn't Bush just sign something to help car companies further along the progress of gasoline-less running cars by 2010? Hmm
It can take it, can it? Yes, it can - by warring with the owner country. Duh. THat's exactly what we're saying.

Sure, he may have - but does that mean the entire world will instantly take up gasoline-less cars? Replace ALL gas cars with them? Heh. This would make the US the oil baron country, rather than Iraq... very strategic. Owning the Iraq oil reserves would give the US a lot of leverage in the future. Not to mention many third world countries (and armies) would be completely at their mercy...

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 9, 2003, 04:42 AM

It can take it, can it? Yes, it can - by warring with the owner country. Duh. THat's exactly what we're saying.
But that isn't what is going on. See we did it in the early 90s, then again in the late 90s. Didn't take their oil. We still payed for it.We aren't going to do it now either.

Sure, he may have - but does that mean the entire world will instantly take up gasoline-less cars?

Well it's a good thing I never claimed they would now isn't it? Why did you even make this point? Who are you arguing with? No one ever said otherwise.

Replace ALL gas cars with them? Heh. This would make the US the oil baron country, rather than Iraq... very strategic. Owning the Iraq oil reserves would give the US a lot of leverage in the future. Not to mention many third world countries (and armies) would be completely at their mercy...
I never said get rid of ALL gas cars did I? Come on Cipher, if you are going to argue with me, at least argue with something I actually said ok?

Cipher13
Feb 9, 2003, 04:53 AM

You missed my point entirely.

You made the comment about non-petrol cars; the point I made was that MOST cars in the world would STILL use petroleum, which made your point about bush pushing for non-petroleum cars moot.

With me?

See, thing is, you COULD have in the early 90's - but the crisis wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

I don't know about the wholesale prices of oil, but in Australia, petrol prices have nearly doubled since the early 90's.

suhail
Senior User
Feb 9, 2003, 04:56 AM

This is general knowledge about the History of Iraq.
I will post a couple of threads about the history of the Gulf, and the involvement of the U.S, U.K, and Israel, which dates all the way back to the 50's. Their mission, oil.

Zarqawi's Stump (previously known as Atef's Carcass) Join the army, maybe someone will put you out of your bitter misery.

Forum Links
Forum Rules