Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Is there *any* way to install Diablo II on Mac OS X without Classic?

Is there *any* way to install Diablo II on Mac OS X without Classic?
phantomac
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 01:01 PM

Classic keeps crashing when I try to install Diablo II. Even when I have launched it before starting the Diablo II Installer.

I'm on a G5, 10.2.8, freshly installed Classic environment.

I'd appreciate any ideas... :-(

benb
Oct 29, 2003, 02:45 PM

Not knowing anything about D2, I would say install it on a Mac that can boot in classic, then just copy over the folder. Of course, this only works if you have a Mac that can boot classic.

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 03:11 PM

What's your problem ?? Classic takes less than 100MB (or even less, about 10MB is no problem,), that is less than one of your pr0n movies !! I'm sick of all the threads and replys with, "Can I install it without Classic" ?

Be happy someone actually take their time to port mac games.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Johnny_B:
What's your problem ?? Classic takes less than 100MB (or even less, about 10MB is no problem,), that is less than one of your pr0n movies !! I'm sick of all the threads and replys with, "Can I install it without Classic" ?

Be happy someone actually take their time to port mac games.
Wow, jumping the gun there are we?

Dude said classic crashes and he wants help.

phantomac  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 03:59 PM

I'm sick of all the threads and replys with, "Can I install it without Classic" ?
If you'd have taken the time to read my post a bit more thoroughly, you'd have noticed that I have Classic installed.

The problem is, that the installer application crashes. Not only the installer application but the entire Mac. I even tried it on a complete clean install.

It seems it doesn't like the G5 somehow. The installer that is.

Installing on another Mac is not an option, as I don't have one available.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 04:40 PM

Just a thought. Have you run the repair permissions tool in Disk Utility? Might be worth a shot.

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Oct 29, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by phantomac:
If you'd have taken the time to read my post a bit more thoroughly, you'd have noticed that I have Classic installed.

The problem is, that the installer application crashes. Not only the installer application but the entire Mac. I even tried it on a complete clean install.

It seems it doesn't like the G5 somehow. The installer that is.

Installing on another Mac is not an option, as I don't have one available.
As a data point, I installed D2 1.0 from CD on a dual-G5 with 10.3 last night. The OS9 folder used was the one installed from the software restore CD supplied with the machine - so by that measure a very vanilla setup. Didn't run into any problem with it (including adding LOD, Carbon patch, and the 1.10 patch).

I know this doesn't give you steps to immediately solve your problem, but it indicates to me that something must be different between your setup and mine that leads to a problem in your case - and that you might be able to work around it somehow. (i.e. the installer is clearly not broken on Panther/Classic in all cases)

Rob

Tomster
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Osirisis:
Just a thought. Have you run the repair permissions tool in Disk Utility? Might be worth a shot.
Just make sure you read all the threads on permissions repairs and printing!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

redJag
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 07:36 PM

Try re-installing Classic.

Hey Rob, has Blizzard ever considered either porting the installer to OS X, or releasing the source so that we can port it ourselves? I guess that might include code for CD Key authentication, just thought I'd ask.
Travis Sanderson

phantomac  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2003, 02:42 AM

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait until my 10.3 UpToDate arrives and try again.

Thanks for letting me know that it'll somehow work, though. :-)

Johnny_B
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by phantomac:
Classic keeps crashing when I try to install Diablo II. Even when I have launched it before starting the Diablo II Installer.

I'm on a G5, 10.2.8, freshly installed Classic environment.

I'd appreciate any ideas... :-(
My "rude" comment wasn't just to you. Anyway, maybe it was to rude, I am just really sick of it you see. Try to disable ALL extensions on boot. Diablo II Installer don't need any of them I think.
Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 07:16 PM

My D2 installer craps out half way through the installation process. I get a cannot read file message from the installer. I can copy the file from the CD so it isn't a physical error on the CD as far as I can tell. This copy of D2 is pretty old, I picked it up at Costco about three years ago. IIRC the Windows version of D2 is like 1.06 but it's been so long since I played it I have no idea.

As such I'd really like to be able to install D2 without using the Classic installer. It installs to Windows just fine and worked alright on my Lombard running OS9. I don't have the Lombard anymore and have no other system that will boot into OS9 to install it.

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2003, 08:37 PM

My D2 cd went bad last year. It will hang up on one file and error out. Same file on both my Mac and PC. Had to exchange for another one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules