Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Some DVDs won't plaly, is there a fix?

Some DVDs won't plaly, is there a fix?
Palegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2000, 04:52 AM

I recently bought "12 Monkeys, collectors edition" on DVD. Apparently it doesn't work on my iMacDV. The DVD Player 2.2 says there might be scratches (which is plain ******** ) and suggests me to check the disk. And sometimes it's giving me some errorcode and quits the DVD Player.
Now I remember discussions from the time of the release of the iMacDV that there were certain disks that couldn't be played by the Apple DVD drivers and that there were additional drivers that'd had this fixed.
Somebody...?

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2000, 02:54 PM

It's usually because the disk was dogily encoded, or "PC Friendly". Fortunately, Apple were sneaky

hold down Command-Option-i as you insert the DVD. This will force the Mac to recognise it as an ISO format disk, and the DVD player should then be able to play it.

I had the same problems last night with The Eagle Has Landed and The Cassandra Crossing, a couple of el cheapo budget DVD's from Carlton. (They didn't even do any scratch filtering or anything, just ran the film off to DVD).
Aaron

millennia
Jun 4, 2000, 10:30 PM

I bought the Sixth Sense on dvd, and it works fine on my dad's Sony VAIO, but not on my DVSE

Palegolas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2000, 02:48 AM

That Command-Option thing didn't change a thing, it behaved just as it did before. Ah, I hate this, how am I supposed to know wich DVD's are iMac compatible and wich are not?! :E grrr...

marlond
Jun 5, 2000, 11:03 AM

I had the same problem a while back when I first got the Matrix on DVD. The Apple DVD player told me it was unreadable and probably scratched even though it just came out of the shrinkwrap.

Of course it was fine. What was not fine was that the DVD Player didn't recognize the format of the disk. Some times being more persnickety doesn't pay off.

So to make you high-brow prim and proper DVD software stoop to the level of a mere PC, use this.
http://www.tempel.org/mac/#udf

I downloaded this patch and it mounted the disk twice once as a DVD and once as an ISO format. The ISO format worked.

The latest version of Apple's player is supposed to fix this, but I wouldn't doubt that the DVD/PC industry has even further muddied the waters.

pablo
Jun 5, 2000, 02:37 PM

I upgraded to version 2.2 and now pressing Command+Option+'i' keys as I insert the DVD works on all my previously unreadable dvd's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules