Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1GHZ Vs. 1.33GHz 17" Powerbook

1GHZ Vs. 1.33GHz 17" Powerbook
JasonY01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 08:20 AM

Hi I'm in the market to replace my titanium powerbook and I was wondering if any could give me some input on if there is really any signifigant PERFORMANCE difference with the 1GHz vs. the 1.33GHz. I have seen the 1GHz priced at $2400 lowest and its looks good but if the 1.33 really offers that big of a difference other than 20gb more hd space. SO money really isn't an issue but performance is.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 11:59 AM

I have heard and read elsewhere that the 133 is about 20% faster. I opted for the 133 becasue I hope to keep it for 3 years....and the cost difference is for me justified.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 12:23 PM

I've had no experience with the Rev. B PowerBooks, so I'm in no position to contrast the two. What I can say is that my Rev. A (1 Ghz) has yet to hiccup with the workload I've thrown at it. It just shrugs and then rips through the work. A typically heavy load would include batch processing a ton of high quality (7-8 MB a piece) files in Photoshop in the background will doing minor text/web editing in Dreamweaver. The performance in Dreamweaver declines slightly, but it's not quite significant. I have batch processed huge files (somewhere between 100-300 MB a piece) in Photoshop during which I just had to sit back and let the machine do it's thing.

Like Podolsky, I also buy machines with the intent of keeping them around for 3 to 5 years. I still have my old Lombard which I used up until summer of last year. I couldn't do the same things (batch processes in Photoshop) as I can with my 17", but because I maintained it it lasted me until I finally caved in and bought a new machine. I guess that's a little background about my computer use to give you an idea of how I use my machines. Hope all that info helps.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

acadian
Senior User
Nov 5, 2003, 12:31 PM

Test 17" rev A 17" rev B

PS 82 68 (lower)
CPU 301 214 (lower)
Quake 95 106 (higher)
Cine 1.8 10.6 (higher)
AE 1597 1196 (lower)
people ruin everything....

iohead
Nov 5, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by JasonY01:
Hi I'm in the market to replace my titanium powerbook and I was wondering if any could give me some input on if there is really any signifigant PERFORMANCE difference with the 1GHz vs. the 1.33GHz. I have seen the 1GHz priced at $2400 lowest and its looks good but if the 1.33 really offers that big of a difference other than 20gb more hd space. SO money really isn't an issue but performance is.
This has been discussed aplenty before. Look here, for example:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=185925

There *IS* a justifiable performance difference between the 1.33 and the 1.0.

-A

Forum Links
Forum Rules