Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do Macbooks work?

How do Macbooks work?
hutchingsp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 10:47 AM

OK "Plan B" (well it's probably Plan S by now) is get a middle spec Macbook and then get a 20/24" widescreen TFT.

If I got one and wanted to use it both as a laptop, and on a desk with an external monitor and an Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse, how exactly would it work?

Would I need to keep the Macbook open or could it be closed and tucked out of the way? To use it as a true laptop do I literally just pick it up and walk away with it or do I have to go through some sort of "you're not connected to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse" ritual, and vice versa when returning, do I just plonk it down, plug in the monitor and it will realise it's in the range of the keyboard and mouse?

Same with wireless, I have a WLAN at home, so if I take it out and come back home will it automatically connect to the WLAN or do I have to tell it to?

Any niggly things I haven't thought of?

cheers,
Paul

p.s how important is 2gb of RAM as I would probably just go to the local Apple Store rather than buy online?

panzer07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 11:05 AM

I bought a refurb 2.0 Macbook Core Duo ($899 us), added 2gb ram and increased the harddisk to 160gb. It works very well as a Mac. I use it as my desktop with a 20in widescreen Samsung 904b 1600x1200. It works great. I keep the laptop screen open and use it simulatneously. Bootcamp installed flawlessly and I am able to play my Windows games (all low graphic details settings). Taking it as a mobile system just requires disconnecting everything. I always shutdown first but I'm sure that's probably not neccessary. Great little system, however, if you want any gaming with hi-res, look at the Macbook Pro refurbs. Theyu cost $600 more but come with 1GB ram and dedicated video. If I'd had the $$ I probably would've gone with the Pro just so I could completely rid myself of the big Windows PC under my desk. As it is I still use it to play some Windows games.

hutchingsp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 11:13 AM

I'm not a gamer at all, do watch a fair few videos and DVDs and listen to music of course (probably the most demanding tasks I use it for).

A Macbook Pro would be overkill I think, I was looking at iMacs as I already have a G5 iMac and was going to get a 24" one but I started thinking about getting a portable with an external display and hopefully getting the best of both worlds with the big screen but not being tied to a desk.

panzer07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 11:32 AM

You will have no problems and really enjoy the little Macbook, just make sure you get at least 1gb ram, though for the $185 (on newegg.com) it cost me to get 2gb I felt 2gb was a better deal.

grr74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2006, 12:36 PM

You can run the MB(P) closed with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use an external monitor. At home my powerbook is closed and connected to a external monitor.

Do not buy ram from apple, too expensive, buy online from non-apple website.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by grr74 View Post
You can run the MB(P) closed with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and use an external monitor. At home my powerbook is closed and connected to a external monitor.
That's what I do every day. When at my desk I run my MacBook closed with a Dell 2405FPW display (24", 1920x1200 LCD) and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. This setup works wonderfully.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 19, 2006, 10:58 PM

You see, there are these tiny things called "electrons," and they move from higher concentrations to lower concentrations....

Ok, not that funny. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm using my MBP on my desk right now, albeit with no external anything. My wife uses her iBook on her desk almost all the time without an external screen or keyboard (we both use an external mouse). No problems, and all is wonderful.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2006, 03:55 PM

Yeah, everyone has already said it, what you want to do will work great. The only thing to keep in mind, however, is that having an external display can provide some very interesting sleep predicaments. If you don't always follow the right steps you can actually lock your MacBook in an awake-with-sleeping-display issue and the only way to get out of it is to shut down. But, that's a pretty minor set back and rarely happens.

This is what you do to use your MacBook, closed, with an external monitor: close your lid (putting your MacBook to sleep), when it is finished writing the sleep file and the light is flashing, you can click your mouse or keyboard (this is after connect an external monitor, of course) and it will wake up with everything on your external monitor.

For bluetooth peripherals: I can go about 30 feet (through a floor too) before my mouse and keyboard disconnect. As long as you leave them discoverable, they should always reconnect as well. You may find that occasionally you'll need to click once on the mouse to reconnect it. But, for example, my Nokia 6265i will automatically reconnect when I walk into my house.

Airport will remember your preferred wireless networks. As you long as you have your wireless network key saved in Keychain, it will automatically connect when it comes into range of your network.
( Last edited by stefanicotine; Dec 20, 2006 at 04:02 PM. )
 Certified AppleCare Technician

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 04:03 PM

Of course, you can always use you MB as a second monitor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules