Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > when's will the next total redesign of the mbp line be?

when's will the next total redesign of the mbp line be?
nycdunz
Senior User
Oct 25, 2007, 03:43 PM

I have been patiently waiting for a long time for the total revamped and redesigned MBP to come out, I am on my 6 yr old 1st gen powerbook g4 now, and I really do need an upgrade. I am praying soon, does anyone know anything about this?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 04:21 PM

The MBP will likely get an update early next year in terms of CPU (2.6 GHz Penryn T9500). However, there have been no rumors about that update being accompanied by a design change (apart from the perpetual 13" MBP rumors of course). And quite frankly, the present design ist still one of the very best. There are a couple of things which could be improved, but I wouldn't count on it happening with the next CPU bump.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 05:25 PM

There won't be a total redesign until at least summer next year. Speed bumps are likely at MacWorld. And, I agree with Simon. The current MacBook Pro case would be very hard to improve on.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 07:18 PM

Jan 2009
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 25, 2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
I have been patiently waiting for a long time for the total revamped and redesigned MBP to come out, I am on my 6 yr old 1st gen powerbook g4 now, and I really do need an upgrade. I am praying soon, does anyone know anything about this?
Are you talking about a redesign to the exterior or just an upgrade to the computer processor? Since you currently have a PowerBook an upgrade to a MBP would be a worthwhile exterior upgrade. Unless you hate the looks of the current model I don't know why you would want an exterior design change since you don't own the current MBPs.

I think the current MBPs are good looking as they are and I'm actually afraid Apple might possibly make them look worst like they did for the 10.5 dock design. I'm hoping to get my MBP before/if they do that. I also own a PowerBook and think the MBPs are better looking and a worthy upgrade if that is something important to you.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2007, 10:07 PM

I don't think these macbook pros will be redesigned until they develop the big screen multi-touch screen Apple laptops. Even then, they may keep this basic design around.

I'm not sure what improvement you'd add to this basic design anyway - the hinge design works, the magsafe adapter basically works, the keyboard is great, and it's really a very small form factor with a full computer built-in (optical drive, etc).

I just want a blue annodized version...

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 10:32 PM

They have kept the same basic design for quite some time, with very little change from the PowerBook to MacBook Pro's. I would like to see Apple develop a re-design, but the current hardware is more than suitable for many people.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 25, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TyPod View Post
They have kept the same basic design for quite some time, with very little change from the PowerBook to MacBook Pro's.
I guess it depends on which generation of PowerBooks a person has. My PowerBook has more sharp edges and looks kind of like a tank. The new MBPs look rather sleek and modern to me. I can definitely tell the generation difference.

A laptop isn't a car so I don't know how much they can change the design. At least they don't look like Dell laptops or some of the other PC laptops out there.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I guess it depends on which generation of PowerBooks a person has.
EDIT: PowerBook Aluminum => MacBook Pro

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by TyPod View Post
EDIT: PowerBook Aluminum => MacBook Pro
I have the PowerBook Titanium so for me it's the other way around. The PowerBook Titanium isn't as good as the MacBook Pro when it comes to looks, but of course this is all subjective. I've found pictures on the internet if you didn't know what my laptop looks like. My laptop looks like something that was built in the 80's.

PowerBook Titanium

MacBook Pro

PaperNotes
Oct 26, 2007, 06:46 AM

Like Simon says ( ). The MBP should get the new calculator keys and if lucky the new 16" true 16:9 screen.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I have the PowerBook Titanium so for me it's the other way around. The PowerBook Titanium isn't as good as the MacBook Pro when it comes to looks, but of course this is all subjective. I've found pictures on the internet if you didn't know what my laptop looks like. My laptop looks like something that was built in the 80's.
For the TiBook's age, I think it still looks pretty good. The sharp edges definitely aren't as attractive as the "rounded" edges on the MacBook Pro's/Aluminum PowerBooks though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules