Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Converting movies to iPhone format?

Converting movies to iPhone format?
salaryman
Nov 19, 2007, 04:54 AM

Hi

Can anyone recommend software for the Mac which will allow me to convert movies to the iPhone/iPod format? Is there anything which will convert DivX?

Failing that, how about software for Win32?

Cheers

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 08:07 AM

The 'Export' function in Quicktime Player (Pro version) has an iPhone option, so that should work. If you can play the Divx movie, then you should be OK to export it in my experience.

salaryman  (op)
Nov 19, 2007, 08:12 AM

Thanks, but I'm not paying for Quicktime Pro. I use the excellent open-source VLC for playing movies.

I've just come across this excellent piece of software which does the job perfectly:

iSquint - iPod Video Made Easy.

:-)

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by salaryman View Post
Hi

Can anyone recommend software for the Mac which will allow me to convert movies to the iPhone/iPod format? Is there anything which will convert DivX?

Failing that, how about software for Win32?

Cheers

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 03:51 PM

No, not Spam.

iSquint is free, and it's been plugged (by myself, among others), DOZENS of times in this forum - is, in fact, a Search for "iPod video convert" or somesuch would have turned up to the original poster.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2007, 02:45 PM

Agreed. iSquint is a pretty handy tool to have in any toolbox of media apps, especially since it's free.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

mullum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2007, 07:17 PM

Sometimes I use VisualHub, particularly if I want some level of control over the settings or Im converting a batch. Otherwise in Leopard, I just use the export function in Quicktime as mentioned earlier.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2007, 01:42 PM

Another vote for VisualHub, it's fast and the quality is outstanding. Not to mention that it can convert for other formats as well, including AppleTV, PSP, etc. . . .
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2007, 10:45 PM

I have been using Visual hub for a month now and love it. It has an excellent function to prep video for Final Cut Pro among other features.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2007, 03:10 PM

Another vote here for VisualHub - pretty excellent software.

I don't know if these are the best settings (I'm sure someone here will set me straight!) but what I do is convert all my movies to the iPhone preset, then put the quality at "Go Nuts". So far this way I can put any of my movies on either my iPhone or watch them on my AppleTV and they all look perfectly fine.

Regardless, throwing everything in VisualHub and just letting it work all night on converting everything is great - I've never had it crash or produce a bogus conversion.

dreaver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2007, 11:36 PM

VisualHub is cool, another vote for it

Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2007, 06:17 PM

Do I have to pay for Visualhub?
Does it work for Leopard?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 08:15 PM

Yes
Yes

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2007, 08:31 PM

Right click on a movie file in iTunes and it can convert files as well.

Some differences between the 3 software solutions here:

iSquint - free, but does not use dual processors when it encodes, kind of slow compared to others. Can process a queue of files.

Visual Hub - need to pay for it, uses dual processors, I found it to still be slower than iTunes. Can make a queue, tho.

iTunes - Dual processor aware, free, files are larger than standard iSquint/Visual Hub (but probably better quality). No queue.

Hardware options include Elgatos H.264 Turbo - mine has been ordered and is on its way.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2007, 04:50 AM

I've found that QuickTime's iPhone preset tends to be of a little better quality than iSquint's output. If your source video is larger than 480x360 it needs to be downscaled to fit and iSquint (which uses libvacodec, ffmpeg's library) does a poor job of this (IMO). In 7.3 an "Export to Web" feature was added that exports a movie to three presets; 3GP for iPhone, a normal iPhone movie, and a full resolution "Desktop" movie with a reference movie pointing to the three. This is useful for putting the files on the web as the name suggests. The reference movie has bandwidth rules set so viewing it on an iPhone will use one of the two iPhone movies based on your bandwidth (EDGE or WiFI) and then the full resolution movie if viewed on a PC. It will also create a poster frame for the movie and an HTML snippet to easily include in a web page.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules