Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP for Gaming

MBP for Gaming
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2011, 04:35 AM

Tempted to get the 15 inch MBP with the 1G graphics card. For 2 reasons :

1) need a bit more oomph, the 2007 20 inch iMac is starting to show her age.

2) I'd like to play some Windows games but not have to buy another computer to do so.

What do people who have the MBP running Windows think?

P
Aug 22, 2011, 05:57 AM

What sort of games are you thinking about. On the one hand the MBP graphics cards aren't very good at the moment, but on the other they're faster than current gen consoles which opens up some possibilities.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2011, 06:05 AM

Saying they're faster than current generation consoles (which are years old now) is no great praise. Are the MBPs behind their Windows competitors?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Aug 22, 2011, 07:17 AM

Behind the best you can get in a Windows laptop? Yes, by about a mile - there are Windows laptops out there with dual GPUs in Crossfire/SLI. The average is still Intel integrated, and the MBPs obviously beat that, but they're not gaming chips by any stretch. The 6750M - the upgraded graphics - is equivalent to the default graphics in the basic iMac. What I'm missing is something like the upgraded graphics in the iMac, the 6970M, as an option. The MBP used to be comparable to the iMac in graphics, but it has fallen behind.

AMD has unfortunately fallen in with the same behavior that nVidia has had for a while, where they number the mobile chips compared to the max of what they can deliver on mobile instead of which desktop chip they're similar to. The 6750M is the rough equivalent of the desktop 6570. Cards like that are currently selling for as little as $60 after rebate.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
What sort of games are you thinking about. On the one hand the MBP graphics cards aren't very good at the moment, but on the other they're faster than current gen consoles which opens up some possibilities.
2 FPS games, MW3 and BF3, not that bothered about anything else. I'd have a screen attached, probably 21 to 24 incher.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2011, 08:36 AM

I just bought the 17" MBP with the 2.3GHz i7 because I have BF3 pre-ordered since quite a while and I'm pretty sure that my old MBP would not have been fast enough.
I have the same problem as you - the MBP is not really a great gaming computer but I don't want to have a dedicated gaming computer and I want a notebook...

P
Aug 22, 2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
2 FPS games, MW3 and BF3, not that bothered about anything else. I'd have a screen attached, probably 21 to 24 incher.
This is the reason I made the comparison with consoles - both of those have been design with consoles in mind, so the graphics aren't all that demanding. 1680*1050 should work.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
This is the reason I made the comparison with consoles - both of those have been design with consoles in mind, so the graphics aren't all that demanding. 1680*1050 should work.
I have a feeling that BF3 might be a very different game on the PC to the consoles. The Frostbite 2 engine will surely be made to exploit the latest and greatest PC graphics cards. But I agree with you about MW3, Activision seem to care more about the Xbox than any other gaming 'system'.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 23, 2011, 09:18 AM

BF3 was designed PC first. It will require a good computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules