Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to disable one CPU on dual-processor g4?

How to disable one CPU on dual-processor g4?
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 04:49 PM

Trying to isolate the cause of random KP's. I'm thinking it's gotta be logic board or a CPU by this point (been through all the RAM chips and peripherals) Is there any way to disable one CPU on these things?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 9, 2005, 05:26 PM

I don't remember the commands, but there are Open Firmware commands to disable one CPU. I don't know if you can tell it which CPU to disable, though! (The function is there to test software that isn't multiprocessing compatible.)

tooki

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2005, 05:28 PM

One of the CHUD tools will do it. Don't remember which one.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 05:47 PM

Just install CHUD and it puts a pane in System Preferences that lets you disable a processor.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Just install CHUD and it puts a pane in System Preferences that lets you disable a processor.
Okay-- got that-- no way through Terminal or whatever to specify WHICH one, so I can get some sort of verification?

If I disable one processor without knowing which one I'm disabling, and my problems persist, I won't know whtether I've disabled the good processor, or if the problem resides elsewhere. I guess as is, though, this gives me about 25% odds of isolating it.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 07:09 AM

I've found the problem-- the fan on the power supply has stopped working, and the machine is overheating. Thr CPUs are right up against the power supply on a Quicksilver, and the ambient temp in there is just too high. It's been running okay with one CPU, but I need to get the fan fixed.

Pulling the power supply doesn't look too hard, but can I change the fan in it myself, or is this a job for a qualified service peson, or can the fan even be changed?

chris v  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 01:44 PM

Fan extracted.

/blog

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 04:54 PM

I have to say, that's some pretty impressive troubleshooting. Nice work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules