Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > What are you crunching with these days?

What are you crunching with these days?
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2006, 12:40 AM

What systems are you using and for what projects?
How much production do you get?

I'm specifically looking for benchmarks of Athlon X2 and Pentium D on FAH (shhh, I'm hoping to have money to build a box or two this summer), but everything is of course welcome to be listed.

Me: Don't know, the only reason I'm still crunching is that some of the machines I setup to crunch back in summer 2004 are still running.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2006, 12:48 AM

Currently my only crunching boxen is my main rig, specs listed in my signature.

Been with RC5-72 for the past several months. 800 blocks per day consistently.

Considering jumping back on the SETI BOINC wagon.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jedimstr
May 1, 2006, 03:52 PM

Click here for my list of crunchers on BOINCstats.com

All crunching for Team MacNN on SETIBoinc (of course).

And proud to say one of them is #3 on Seti@Home's Top Computers stats (hoping to climb higher once the RAC evens out).
( Last edited by jedimstr; May 6, 2006 at 07:37 PM. )
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 08:11 PM

Me? Right now nothing. Being relocated oversees here soon, and sold most my PC's (either that or store them for the next year or two). My iMac G5 suddenly gave up the ghost a few days ago, (waiting to hear if it can be repaired at reasonable cost), so all I have left is my iBook 600 which I dusted off for e-mail and web surfing until I can get something working again. Might be a couple of months though with the relo to the Philippines, but by then maybe I'll have something new.

If I'm not crunching though, I will be doing a lot of photography

dwaring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 01:48 AM

Crunching on both SETI and Einstein but I'm torn between these two projects due to heavy-optimisation on both PPC and x86 platform, respectively. Weighing on both pros and cons of both projects made it even worse....

DrBoar
Senior User
May 3, 2006, 04:11 AM

F@H both usefull and trouble free.
I have enlisted computers at work. Several G4s, one PII and several PIII the latter in storage as spares but for some reason up and runing 24/7
Several P4s and one dual G5. The total power varies betwen 50-70 GHz. I will try to gain some P4s from people with BTX towers, I have had some terrible experiences with P4s in compact cases with the fan going at full blast.

I will try to get closer to 100 GHz than I am today but it depends on the kindness of other people, and more troublesome, my charm

OneMacGuy
Senior User
May 5, 2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
What systems are you using and for what projects?
How much production do you get?

I'm specifically looking for benchmarks of Athlon X2 and Pentium D on FAH (shhh, I'm hoping to have money to build a box or two this summer), but everything is of course welcome to be listed.

Me: Don't know, the only reason I'm still crunching is that some of the machines I setup to crunch back in summer 2004 are still running.
I am only actively running Rosetta@home, but like Scott, I have quite a few computers that I installed folding@home on early last year that are still running it. I will get around to them someday.

I am running quite a mix, Pentium III and 4's, Athlon XP and 64's, one Dual Xeon 3.8 just added, my Dual G4 tower and my wife's emac.

My best cruncher pointwise is the Dual 1.2 G4, it has been getting over 800 points per day, but has dropped off in the past week to around 600? My Athlon 64's are averaging around 500 PPD and the Athlon XP 3000s are all hitting around 450 PPD.

I have a Dual 933 P3 server box that is getting in about 300 PPD and 2.8 P4 server with HT that is getting around 400 PPD.

The dual xeon shows a lot of potential, but is still coming up to speed, I estimate that it will top out around 600 PPD, a lot lower than I had hoped, it may have to go elsewhere and heat someone else's house or office.

I am having a lot of problem's lately with the Rosetta client getting hung at 1% for days or until I abort the work unit. What a pain since I have so many coputers to monitor.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 5, 2006, 09:32 AM

Just found out that my dead iMac G5 isn't quite dead after all. Manufacturing defect covered under extended warranty. http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

Got me thinking though and what I will need for the next year or two must be portable. Think I'll sell the iMac and get a notebook of some kind. (hope they release new iBooks soon) Once I get settled in PI, then I'll take a look at getting something crunching again. Probably either Rosetta or Einstein.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 09:45 AM

Got the iMac G5 back, repaired on Apple's dime. New Motherboard and power supply. Now crunching again on Rosetta@home to support CASP 7. Old iBook 600 is also crunching on Rosetta.

Forum Links
Forum Rules