Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 38)
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2018, 02:07 PM

I chuckled.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2018, 08:55 PM

I only subscribe to two conspiracies:

1: There is definitely something off about 9/11. At the very least its the narrative around Islamic terrorism. If they hate America that much, they'd have been an hour later and clocked at least another zero on the end of the body count. And it got a lot of legislation passed without issue and made a bunch of shady characters much richer via the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't go for all the nitpicking about structural sabotage etc.

2: Rupert Murdoch bought the '99 champions league (by buying the officials and the opposition coach) for Manchester United. United were second best until injury time, Bayern took their two best players off twenty minutes from time with only a one goal lead, the Bayern coach said United deserved to win after the game, they got 6 minutes of injury time out of somebody's ass because there were no stoppages to justify it and it all happened while United were subject to a takeover bid from Murdoch via Sky where he was paying £650M and their value after the final spiked to over £1B. (Thankfully blocked by the Monopolies & Mergers Commission eventually)
Also Man U are the absolute worst.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Also Man U are the absolute worst.
I read this as “man, [you] are the absolute worst”.

What kills the 9/11 conspiracies for me is the same people at the root of them were ideally positioned to plant WMD in Iraq.

That never happened. Are they intentionally playing the game on hard mode?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I read this as “man, [you] are the absolute worst”.
I actually shortened it from Utd to U. Oops.

What kills the 9/11 conspiracies for me is the same people at the root of them were ideally positioned to plant WMD in Iraq.

That never happened. Are they intentionally playing the game on hard mode?
Thats why I include the caveat about the narrative around Islamic terrorism. Back in the 80s, planes got hijacked and bombs went off fairly often and they were always claimed by one set of initials or another. Then we were introduced to the concept of a single organisation with multiple completely autonomous cells that have no contact with each other. I'm not sure if this came from the news, the government or that Bruce Willis movie where he plays a general and declares martial law in NYC. Such an organisational structure is practically indistinguishable from multiple small and unrelated terror groups like we used to have, only now they all take credit under a single brand name. But are they taking credit or being assigned it by western news? I have never to this day seen video of Bin Laden taking credit for 9/11. Something we are all told he should be most proud of doing and his best method of recruiting more terrorists surely?
There was a time after 9/11 where every car that backfired in a town with a population in double digits or higher was reported alongside a vague mention of Al Qaida. Its a branding exercise if you ask me. The brand has now changed to ISIS. Just to keep the fear fresh I guess. ISIS seems past its peak media use these days. Lets be on the lookout for another re-brand as this decade draws to a close.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2018, 09:44 AM

US expelled a bunch of Russian diplomats in coordination with our allies. I'm actually surprised.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2018, 10:59 AM

Check their pockets for bags of evidence with "Trump" written on.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
US expelled a bunch of Russian diplomats in coordination with our allies. I'm actually surprised.
I actually think Putin calculated this badly wrong. I can't imagine he thought the blowback (on him) would be so widespread. In fact I think he assumed the UK would just shut up and take it.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Mar 26, 2018, 11:10 AM

Donny probably checked with Vlad first, to make sure the diplomats were ones going home soon anyway.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2018, 01:01 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2018, 02:03 PM

I assume the first is Vladivostok. I vote that one. Send them to Jamaica or something.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2018, 05:40 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2018, 05:47 PM

Call me when republicans vote for their health over god or guns.

Thorzdad
Mar 27, 2018, 06:24 PM

Oh, they’ll vote for their own health. But, god forbid some undeserving other should get a single dime of taxpayer money.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Oh, they’ll vote for their own health. But, god forbid some undeserving other should get a single dime of taxpayer money.
They won't, because that would require voting for a democrat. GOP ain't offering medicare-for-all as an option.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2018, 10:30 PM

I have no doubt there is much criticism which can be fairly leveled at the administration in regards to their response to Maria, but I’m not going to trust an analysis which doesn’t even pay lip-service to the logistical differences involved with getting relief to the fourth largest city in the country versus an island in the Atlantic.

Houston to Puerto Rico is not apples to apples. This article unapologetically pretends they are.
( Last edited by subego; Mar 27, 2018 at 11:18 PM. )

andi*pandi
Mar 28, 2018, 10:54 AM

I feel like we've had the apples vs apples discussion before.

What it comes down to is results and visible efforts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2018, 01:34 PM

Which are meaningless in a vacuum. We need a metric by which to judge them.

This article chooses Houston. This is the incorrect metric.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2018, 05:48 PM

Within six days of Hurricane Harvey, U.S. Northern Command had deployed 73 helicopters over Houston, which are critical for saving victims and delivering emergency supplies. It took at least three weeks after Maria before it had more than 70 helicopters flying above Puerto Rico.
It's unreasonable to believe that our well-funded military should be able to get helicopters to an island just south of us in less that three weeks? (Three days?

Nine days after the respective hurricanes, FEMA had approved $141.8 million in individual assistance to Harvey victims, versus just $6.2 million for Maria victims.
Puerto Rico being an island made approving assistance harder?

They said it was much easier to deploy helicopters to Houston than to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, which were 1,000 miles from the United States and had no working ports or airports immediately after the disaster. And even if FEMA could get more responders to Puerto Rico, they said, it had no place to house them.

But it still took weeks for FEMA and the Department of Defense to increase their forces in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, even though the main airports and ports were opened within a few days.
According to internal FEMA documents given to POLITICO by a person involved in the response efforts, a week after Hurricane Maria, FEMA had filled only 150 of 250 beds that were set aside for first responders at the Puerto Rico Convention Center. Two weeks after Maria, FEMA had filled only 1,258 of 2,250 beds allotted for its first responders at the convention center and aboard two training vessels from the U.S. Maritime Service.

Disaster-recovery experts also faulted the government for failing to direct the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and other ships, which have their own fleets of helicopters and were deployed off the coast for Florida to help with Hurricane Irma in early September, to help with the response efforts to Hurricane Maria. The Lincoln began to position itself to help with Irma two days before the storm hit Florida. FEMA never requested that the Department of Defense send the Lincoln to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
This is unfair?

Trump sent three times as many tweets about Harvey as Maria — 24 about the plight of Texas and eight about Puerto Rico, including a series of comments about Puerto Rico’s debt level and quality of infrastructure that local officials considered insulting and enraging while lives were still in jeopardy.
Is it possible Trump's own tweets signaled to his administration PR wasn't as important?

On Oct. 12, more than three weeks after Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, the president suggested that the federal government wasn’t prepared to help the island indefinitely. “We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!”
This sounds really committed.

Do I allow that it being an island and the third disaster for FEMA made things harder? Yes. Do I think that explains the majority of the shitshow? No.

andi*pandi
Mar 29, 2018, 11:16 AM

That the Cajun Navy couldn't get there, makes sense. That the US Navy could not, does not.

Heck, the Cajuns even sent their Airforce.

Thorzdad
Mar 29, 2018, 12:07 PM

We are a country that can transport thousands of troops and their equipment practically anywhere on the globe in a matter of days. Not getting help to a nearby island full of American citizens is willful and inexcusable.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 29, 2018, 03:19 PM

We are a country that can transport thousands of troops and their equipment practically anywhere on the globe in a matter of days. Not getting help to a nearby island full of American citizens is willful and inexcusable.
Exactly. It might cost a good deal more than we're used to, but that's what an emergency is.

Thorzdad
Mar 30, 2018, 09:49 AM

So, here in bright-red Indiana, we are thick into the run-up to the primaries, and our local tv is swamped with campaign ads. Some of the ads (pretty exclusively from pro-Trump Republicans) are truly insane bits of rabid fear-mongering such that you can only stare slack-jawed at the screen in disbelief that people might actually respond favorably to them. There's one running right now, for Republican candidate Todd Rokita, that is so over-the-top as to make Steve Bannon blush.

As an added bonus, we also get a Koch-funded campaign against our lone barely-a-Democrat Senator.

How bad do the local ads get in your neck of the woods?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2018, 12:49 PM

*air of smug self-satisfaction*
I don't watch TV.

andi*pandi
Mar 30, 2018, 01:05 PM

I don't watch live TV.
*slightly less smug*

I would branch this off to a new thread of "horrible campaign ads" except I don't think we want to give these candidates the youtube traffic.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2018, 02:38 PM

This commercial shatters the shitpost ceiling.

Try this campaign commercial on for size.

She almost won BTW.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2018, 01:59 AM

Puerto Rico being an island made approving assistance harder?
This question, and the quote from the article which inspired it, best demonstrates my point.

I can’t think of a reason it would.

You can’t think of a reason it would.

I guess no one else here can think of a reason.

Well, we’re all wrong. FEMA can’t approve aid without an on-site inspection of the applicant’s property. While this may not absolve FEMA of all wrongdoing, it would play a clear and substantive role in their approval rate.

Since I couldn’t divine this on my own (it actually took hours of research to dig up), why should I trust my ability to divine the reasons there’s a disparity in other things, like helicopters?

Since the article didn’t provide it, why should I trust the article?

This BTW, is why I’m comfortable saying things like “I don’t trust the media”, even though that puts me in the company of a bunch of miscreants. I’ve been burned like this too many times.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2018, 08:53 AM

There are different reasons not to trust different media. I recall I used to read two magazines from the same publisher when I was a teenager. One was a car mag, the other was about Macs. I assumed the writers were knowledgeable in their chosen fields but one day I learned that they simply flitted from magazine to magazine as they got promoted or as things were restructured, a magazine might get shut down and some staff would be shifted to other mags. Basically none of them were experts at what they were writing about. I met several of them as the publisher was local. A lot of them were morons and assholes. Journalists write with authority on subjects they know nothing about. All the time.

Some of them are biased, complicit liars, some are just lazy and incompetent. My suspicion is that these negative traits mostly follow party lines in the US, i.e. liars on the right, idiots on the left.

Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2018, 01:05 PM

A little background on the Presidential Personnel Office. (i.e. the office that vets presidential appointees. And, we all know how well that has gone.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2018, 04:02 PM

Saw this with the caption “Get Out (2017)”.

Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Some of them are biased, complicit liars....
You mean like Sinclair?

Thorzdad
Mar 31, 2018, 06:53 PM

Saw this with the caption “Get Out (2017)”.
Children of the Corn

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2018, 12:12 AM

On one hand, I see why this should frighten me, but on the other, isn't the main reason this is happening is because the medium is deader than a doornail?

Who watches local news? Grandpa?

Thorzdad
Apr 1, 2018, 11:03 AM

Who watches local news? Grandpa?
Hey, now. I'm a grandpa and I never watch local news. So, there!

Anyway...In fact, many millions of people watch local news. The meme that only olds watch it is more of a smug sort of denial.

But, let's say that only olds watch local news. So? They're still a very vocal voting block. They also vote more regularly than do young people. In this day and age, turning even a small block of voters can mean the difference between a win and a loss. This move costs Sinclair nothing, and it provides them with a legitimized, nationwide editorial tool to push Trump propaganda and decry anything that speaks against Trump.

Local news has always enjoyed a relatively non-partisan image. They like to play-up the "part of your community" image, to good effect. They are, by-and-large, seen as more trustworthy than the national news. Sinclair's out to exploit that cred to wage a bottom-up stealth campaign for Trump (and extreme right-wing causes in general) A more-or-less covert, local form of Fox News, but with (supposedly) trustworthy faces.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2018, 05:25 PM

The meme that only olds watch it is more of a smug sort of denial.
Oh, I’m totally a smug asshole, but not in denial. Sinclair is in denial if they think forking over millions to buy television network affiliates is a viable long-term strategy.

In 10 years, Sinclair’s ledger will look like Vietnam.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2018, 11:36 PM

Does shit get more evil than this?
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/31/59848...ntent=20180401
A measure signed into law in Kentucky this past week would prevent federally-certified radiologists from judging X-rays in state black lung compensation claims, leaving diagnoses of the disease mostly to physicians who typically work for coal companies.

The new law requires that only pulmonologists — doctors who specialize in the lungs and respiratory system — assess diagnostic black lung X-rays when state black lung claims are filed.

Up until now, radiologists, who work in evaluating all types of X-rays and other diagnostic images, had been allowed to diagnose the disease as well.

Just six pulmonologists in Kentucky have the federal certification to read black lung X-rays and four of them routinely are hired by coal companies or their insurers, according to an NPR review of federal black lung cases.

Thorzdad
Apr 2, 2018, 07:39 AM

What's truly baffling is how universally-distributed the crazy and evil seems to be spread throughout the Republican party. Are there any Republicans left who could be legitimately categorized as moderate?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2018, 07:34 PM

GOWDY: It says that I'm glad we have Bob Mueller. I'm glad we have an independent ball and strike caller. Congress has proven itself incapable of conducting serious investigations. And our best hope for finding -

BRENNAN: You include our own committee, House Intelligence, on that?

GOWDY: Absolutely. Not just House Intelligence. Congressional investigations leak like the "Gossip Girls." They - I mean, they're terrible and I would be telling you that if I were staying in Congress. They are just not serious. Serious investigations don't leak. Serious investigations don't make up their mind first and then go in search of the evidence to validate your previously held conviction.
What does it say about the GOP that so many of the people who decide not to run change their tune?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2018, 07:37 PM

Turns out the diplomats were expelled but Russia is free to replace them. I am not surprised.

If my math is right, with Russia shutting down the St. Petersburg consulate that means we lost diplomats and they didn't.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2018, 06:55 AM

You mean Trump faked looking like a tough guy while in reality he was bending over and presenting to Putin?

Surely not!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2018, 07:43 AM

Twist: Tillerson ordered the expulsions.

Thorzdad
Apr 3, 2018, 03:30 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2018, 03:59 PM

Someone at one of the nascent Sinclair stations here tried some Twitter pushback. The suits are not happy.

This is one of the few outfits they’re buying which may give them trouble. It’s not a normal second tier station. Until now, it was never an affiliate to a network, which let it do things like get put in satellite feeds as the “Chicago market” station.

They also have the Cubs, and have for decades. Bozo the Clown was them.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a joke station. Back when people still watched TV, I was always embarrassed it was the example of Chicago television which aired nationally.

Their weatherman, Enron guy’s brother, is pretty good though. I think he’s the highest paid weatherman in the country.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 3, 2018, 05:47 PM

WGN?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2018, 06:08 PM

Yessir!

We think of it here as “We’re Going Nowhere”.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2018, 06:15 PM

Here’s the offending tweet.

Off the record he’s been admonished. On the record he’s no comment.

The “Chicago’s Very Own” is the station’s tagline, which is alluding to it being a homegrown, non-affiliate station.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 3, 2018, 08:18 PM

Yessir!

We think of it here as “We’re Going Nowhere”.
It's a nationally famous channel for anyone who grew up with cable.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2018, 09:46 PM

We’re not like that. I promise.

Thorzdad
Apr 4, 2018, 08:02 AM

It's where Cubs baseball lives.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2018, 09:48 AM

Begun, the Trade Wars have

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2018, 10:52 AM

It's where Cubs baseball lives.
I thought the Cubs moved to Comcast Sports, the same with the Braves.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules