Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best ScreenShot Program

Best ScreenShot Program
PMDaly
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 10:30 PM

Just wanted to know what everyone out there is using to capture screens. I'm trying to find an easy and free application that will save the file in jpg format. Thanks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2005, 10:34 PM

Use the built-in screenshot taker. If you don't have PhotoShop, use the free Graphic Converter that came with your Mac.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 10:42 PM

You don't even need Photoshop or GraphicConverter unless you want to resize the image. If all you want to do is get a screen capture and then convert it to JPG format, you can use Apple's built-in Preview application to do it. Just take the screen capture (command-shift-3 for the whole screen, or command-shift-4 for a selection of the screen), open the PDF file in Preview, and choose Export (command-E) to save it as a JPG.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

PMDaly  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks guys, both work easily and quickly. I'm new to mac btw so I don't quite know what to do in some cases. The quick response is appreciated guys!

TheAlbinoBowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 10:57 PM

FreeSnap works really well for me, and gives you the option to take the shots in different formats, and also lets you save to disk or your clipboard, which comes in handy for pasting into iChat or something like that.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2005, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Just take the screen capture (command-shift-3 for the whole screen, or command-shift-4 for a selection of the screen)...
Or "Command+Shift+4+Spacebar" to take a picture of particular window/selection of the screen.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by PMDaly:
Thanks guys, both work easily and quickly. I'm new to mac btw so I don't quite know what to do in some cases. The quick response is appreciated guys!
SnapNDrag is a highly rated, easy to use, freeware program that allows one the ability to save the image as a TIFF, JPEG, or PNG. One can capture the entire window or any "selection. " Also, there is a built in timer so one can take screen shots of Alert boxes, dialogs, drop down menus, etc. I have been using it for over a year with no problems. It gets five stars from me.

http://www.yellowmug.com/snapndrag/
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Forum Links
Forum Rules