Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Predictions about May 1

Predictions about May 1 (Page 2)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2001, 09:51 PM

No iBooks gorgonzola? That seems to be the most-predicted announcement.

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2001, 10:27 PM

Oddly enough,
I am scheduling a press event on May 1st, just before Apple's. Will I announce:

a) that I'm launching an hostile takeover of Apple armed only with The Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, a Charles Trenet CD, and a wooden spoon;

b) that through reverse engineering, I have reduced OSX's recommended system requirements so that it will now run on an SE with 1MB of RAM, and two 800k floppy drives;

c) that after determining the super secret coded message that Apple has surreptitiously implanted throughout the posts in the MacNN forums, I can say with certainty that Apple will be fixing all known bugs and complaints in OSX and will be releasing the fastest computers on the planet. These, combined with the falling component prices making Mac prices fall into the $200-$300 range effectively wipe out the the PC market.

In light of these possibilities at my conference, I think Apple will most likely announce that I am a complete crackpot and, as a result, will not give us any new toys. (It's more likely than Ti iBooks!) Cheers,
MacmanX

------------------
10:00 conoc� a Apple. 10:30 trabaj� con Apple. Apple Computer�
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 21, 2001, 10:28 PM

I don't know about iBooks. I'm leaning towards no significant hardware announcements at all; this isn't a big conference like MacWorld or anything.

A dual 733 would make sense since it's just an announcement saying that Apple has enough chips to start shipping dual configs now -- it's not a new model per se.

But I think it's just going to be for retail stores. I don't see Steve scheduling an early press conference to release hardware, somehow. I'm still saying the iBooks will come in New York.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

-T
Apr 21, 2001, 11:06 PM

Three things

1. OS X update - CD burning capability. I doubt the DVD player will be made yet, since very few Macs come with DVD now. They'll have updated video card drivers, and possibly fix the slow resize problem. And just overall stability fixes.

2. They will announce dual 733mhz G4 machines with option DVD-R for midragne model. nVidia3 cards will be shipping.

3. They will announce a resdesigned iBook, probably with 400 and 500mhz G3's with a 13" wide screen LCD display.

-T
Apr 21, 2001, 11:09 PM

Oh yeah, forgot... definitely the new Apple Retail Stores. That's given.

iloveOSX
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2001, 11:33 PM

this is a new kind of press conference.

big announcements (including hardware) (ibooks have been EOL)
OUTSIDE of macworld. steve said this would happen in the recent shareholders meeeting.

this is good news beucase apple will not be locked into JAN and JULY for big announcements.

also remeber that (soon) after a big press event like this people will be able to go down to an apple store to see the product in all its glory.

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2001, 03:47 AM

You guys are forgetting the following:

� Jobs said he will be announcing hardware between Macworlds from now on.
� iBook stocks cross-country are practically nill, which always, always indicates a new line.

The True Predictions:
� iBook. Posisbly Aluminum, possibly not. It's cheaper than Titanium. Titanium will never make it to the iBook line because of it's price. Plastics, however, are getting more expensive and are starting to show their age. Plastic or aluminum, no Titanium. 13.3" LCD Monitors - No widescreen. Everything else updated. Possibly new color schemes. Drops a pound off the weight. (Compiled with the help of www.macosrumors.com and various posts of forums). CD-RW possible, but why?
� MacOS X Puma, Build 1: The first Build of Puma will either be seeded to developers or to the public. Remember, as long as someone gets it, Apple didn't lie when it said the CD-RW support would be out around this time.
� Retail Stores - The plan, not the store. They're all still under construction, people.
� No iMacs - that's July, when they get the new form and/or widescreen. Possible G4 Tower Upgrade, but who cares, there's a billion configurations already. Anyone think that little machine known as the Cube might finally get an update? Possibly, to upgrade electronics within, but nothing else.
�iPhoto is a good shot, as well as updated Quicktime, Discburner, iTunes and the new Apple Studio something...don't remember the name. Some new video package or something.

Anyways, yeah, that's it. Why do people think they'll release earnings? They did that, along with all the numbers they have. That'd be awfully stupid, people. Obviously, SOMETHING is happening, whether it's the iBooks which OBVIOUSLY are getting an update SOON before MWNY or OS X Puma being seeded to someone.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2001, 05:49 AM

AHHHH! IT'S ALUMINIUM YOU DUMBASS 'MERKINS!

Not "a loo min um", "al you min eee um" with the extra I.

And it's colour with a u and petrol not gas... oh well i'm veering even further off topic so I'll stop now before I offend any more people.

blueeyed
Apr 22, 2001, 06:05 AM

Actually, both spellings are correct.

Next time try http://www.dictionary.com before you decide to become the local spelling bee champ.

blueeyed
Apr 22, 2001, 06:10 AM

Okay, I just read the rest of your post and realized that you're being funny. Time for me to go to http://www.hooked-on-phonics.com.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2001, 09:33 AM

Merkin...

Now there is a word that brings back memories...

1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

proceedNeXT
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 10:04 AM

In German, it's aluminium, too.

tdominey
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 10:14 AM

I've said this before, but I'll post it again. All I want is SOUND in OSX. I know it sounds ridiculous, but for many of us it remains broken. I absolutely refuse to use OSX simply because of this. My work depends on it.

And oh yeah...the May 1st event. I think everyone is pretty close to getting this right, but I'm having a hard time swallowing this iBook idea. It just seems like a high profile product like that would get a bigger splash than a tossed-together "event" that's less than two weeks away.

Something of that nature could wait until July. Wouldn't surprise me.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2001, 12:56 PM

If Apple were to launch its Apple Stores, it would make sense to do so coninciding with a product launch.
A consumer product launch would be even better.

So if the new iBooks seem the most likely announcement on May 1st.
Then perhaps so is the launch of the Apple outlets?
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

foobars
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 01:04 PM

New retail store in Boston (please?)!

resolution
Apr 22, 2001, 01:11 PM

May 1st is all about hardware, as someone said earlier. WWDC has had new hardware launches before, but only Pro level. The iBook needs an update, so they would have had to use a Pro developer event for consumer hardware. Also, WWDC should (rightly so) focus on OS X. By having an Apple Event May 1st, Apple is deflecting its "keynote-only hardware strategy" criticism, saving WWDC for the Pro developers, and getting the new iBooks out the door.
Personally, I'm waiting for dual 866 G4s before I upgrade. My G4 450 (sawtooth) that I bought the day it came out is working great with OS X. Also, everyone should try and use a "digital hub" powermac as soon as possible. OS X, for some reason, works much faster on those. I used a 466 the other day, and it was at least 100% faster than my 450.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Apr 22, 2001, 02:12 PM

Apple and not I will be held responsible for plummetting into a life of crime (computer hardware theft) unless they release a pretty kick-@$$ "Makes my Biege G3/266" run almost as fast as OS 9.1" update soon.

Otherwise I'll have to steal a new G4

Mike

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 03:15 PM

Yeah, Apple Store in Boston, and bring MW back.

iBook revisions, no Ti. Get real.
Dual 733 seem like a possibility.
No iMacs.
Hoping for X update, could go either way.
Something unexpected.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 04:26 PM

1- all Apple made programmes ready for X
2- Adobe Photoshop x
3- introducing iPicture
4- airport standard on all models
5- Dual G4 733 MHz
6- Superdrive sold separately for G4 towers
7-CDR-W /DVD drive for PBG4
8- new iBooks with CDR

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2001, 04:31 PM

I assume Steve said that he'd announce hardware between MacWorld's at some meeting that I didn't hear or wasn't here for (I missed the March 21st meeting too).

In that case, iBooks are a must! As well as dual 733's.

What is all this about 4L42?! ...

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

ajtpolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2001, 04:55 PM

Ok Guys, Don't forget the big one:

1. Quicktime 5

then....

2. OS X minor Update 10.0.2 (probably CDRW, updates and X compatibility of Apple software and perhaps DVD)

I think any more is pushing it for one small event.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2001, 06:19 PM

I just got my monthly Macwarehouse mail, and it looks as though there aren't any iBooks for sale anywhere in the catalog...

I'm really betting that we'll see new iBooks very soon. Expect something very cool...

Ben

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2001, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
Nothing, it's just someone joking about

xenu
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 06:42 PM

Macs to be sold for what they are worth - duals at the same, or lower, price.

Cinema display to be even cheaper.

OS X 10.1

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

mumble
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2001, 07:04 PM

I assume Steve said that he'd announce hardware between MacWorld's at some meeting that I didn't hear or wasn't here for (I missed the March 21st meeting too).
At the shareholders meeting on the 18th Job's said "I think you will see some major products announced this year--not at keynotes", I don't think he actually said hardware.

The answer to the great question?

Originally posted by resolution:
Also, everyone should try and use a "digital hub" powermac as soon as possible. OS X, for some reason, works much faster on those. I used a 466 the other day, and it was at least 100% faster than my 450.
Nvidia graphics card?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 07:20 PM

Probable:
1. QuickTime 5
2. New iBooks 466/500 both with DVD and 128MB RAM. No change to enclosure but will add flower power and/or blue dalmation to S.E. edition and possibly a 13.1" screen.
3. Dual G4's at the high-end 733MHZ for the same price with the 466 being dropped at the low-end in favor of the single proc. 533. Availability of the geForce3.
4. Retail store strategy and locations.
5. OS X update which will address CD burning nothing more.

Possible:
1. Brand new iBooks with new enclosures and internals with the same configs as above. Apple will NOT make iBooks with a higher rated clock speed than the PowerBooks even if they are just G3's.
2. Quiet update to PowerBook G4 with geForce2Go or mobile Radeon. Speed bump?
3. Dual G4's with a clock rate higher than 733 at the high-end.

Not likely:
1. New iMacs. Wait 'til MWNY.
2. Major update to OS X (10.1) and DVD Player X.
3. iPhoto.
Who'sDaMac?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 22, 2001, 07:40 PM

Thanks mumble. I didn't hear anything about this shareholder's meeting before. That sounds pretty good, actually, major products ... bring it on, Steve!

As for 4L42, I read that thread again (I was skimming it before). Definitely BS. Although I wouldn't doubt that they'd be up to that neighborhood in build numbers by the next update.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2001, 08:41 PM

I personally believe iTunes 1.2 is a deadset with burning support. The reason being if you check out the WWDC Developer Descriptions you will notice a couple of forums MacOSX Update/IO Kit Update which are different to the normal Quartz Overview etc. For iTunes to enable CDR burning capabilities obviously you are going to need a finalized I/O kit. This is something Roxio has been whinging about recently and ties in very nicely with the WWDC which will obviously have a lot of third party hardware manafacturers there. So I definitely see iTunes 1.2 coming out .. probably a minor OSX update as well.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2001, 09:33 PM

YES! MW Boston!

Originally posted by slider:
Change your world and you will change your mind.

johnnylundy
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Kosmo:
A Press Event is scheduled for May 1st with Steve Jobs....So what does this mean??
What do you think Jobs will announce?
Apple buys Silicon Graphics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
>>Johnny
>>Johnny

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2001, 10:05 PM

I personally am praying for something essential to my computer...ragepro support. OS X doesnt exactly "fly" on my 233mhz imac. Hopefully ATi releases something soon to lift the burden from my processor.

------------------

The Apple Youth

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2001, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by slider:
just have to second that (err, forth or fifth it actually).
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

one
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
AHHHH! IT'S ALUMINIUM YOU DUMBASS 'MERKINS!

Not "a loo min um", "al you min eee um" with the extra I.
Yeah? And how do you pronouce 'Worcestershire' again?

And on the subject of "petrol" (or more properly "gasoline"), why DO English motorway eggs taste like that?
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

grease
Apr 22, 2001, 11:37 PM

This is of course strictly confidential, but I know this small group of friends will never pass this along.

Anyway, this is the straight dope on 1 May:

Steve Jobs will rip away his black mock turtleneck to expose a bare chest with a bright blue tattoo of an X. On his back will be 'March 24 2001' marked out with a single, dripping, bloodlike red line, and a row of ??????'s below it in a phenomenal dalmation-blue pattern!

Now do not go and tell anyone!!! My arse is on the line here!

[This message has been edited by grease (edited 04-22-2001).]

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2001, 12:05 AM

You serious Grease?
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 12:50 AM

I don't know but I've heard rumors about 4L42 in two or three forums now, so I think it is basically confirmed. 4L42 basically refers to updates to the peripheral applications, not the core OS itself. The only definite change I have heard is that icons on the desktop will snap to grid on the screen; and there are probably other Finder improvements. Version 10.1, which will be released a month or so after MWNY. There's no telling now, of course, what build number they will be up to by then.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

one
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2001, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Boondoggle:
Merkin...

Now there is a word that brings back memories...

'Can Heironymous Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?'
'Crime doesn't pay' - that's a philosophy....
Philosophy doesn't pay - that's a crime....

Oneota
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by tie:
I don't know but I've heard rumors about 4L42 in two or three forums now, so I think it is basically confirmed.
You're joking, right? People repeating build numbers in a forum does *not* confirm it. Remember 5L4? *EVERYONE* was repeating that build number, and it never existed. In fact, Apple will probably skip over that build number if/when they ever get to it just to piss the rumor-mongers off.

------------------
"Give me ambiguity or give me something else!"
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 01:40 AM

May 1st is hardware, not software. WWDC is a few weeks away and is for software. Apple will not announce cd burning and DVD for OS X, it will be updated quietly.

So, here's my predictions:

Probable:

Dual 733 MHz G4 powermacs (MAYBE dual 800MHz G4 powermacs).
iBook: Larger screen, 500MHz G3
Titanium updates: Mobile Radeon, 600MHz G4, DVD/CDRW drive.

Not so likely:

iMacs
Cube

No fu[king chance:

OS X v10.1
1GHz powermacs

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:

Dual 733 MHz G4 powermacs (MAYBE dual 800MHz G4 powermacs).
MAYBE single processor G4 800 MHz.

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 02:44 AM

You know, at Macworlds Apple's general policy is to announce products which they then ship (hopefully at the same clock speed as advertised) several months later. That seems less likely to happen at the May 1st event -- for why would they be having the special event if the hardware wasn't ready to ship? Unless, it's possible, the shipping delays are deliberate so they can gauge demand before ramping up supply.

Aldie G
Apr 23, 2001, 02:56 AM

My predictions for May 1:

Very likely:
- Talk about their financial stuff and how much copies of OSX they shipped allready.
- New iBook > new enclosure, updated specs, new colors.
- Dual 733's

Possible:
- CDRW-support for OSX
- iTunes update
- Talk about their upcoming retail stores.

Not going to happen
- a minor/major OSX update (ala 10.0.5 or 10.1)
- new iMac

------------------

[This message has been edited by Aldie G (edited 04-23-2001).]

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by tie:
I don't know but I've heard rumors about 4L42 in two or three forums now, so I think it is basically confirmed.
Read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"... then and ONLY then will u fully comprehend why people are "guessing" the current build is 4L42. (sort of like the whole AYBABTU stuff...)

F-bacher

SYN
Senior User
Apr 23, 2001, 04:45 AM

CD-RW for OSX.
New iBooks
Duals.
Apple Stores

and... Apple buys Be Inc.

------------------
Soyons realistes, demandons l'impossible.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2001, 05:01 AM

2U rackmount with OS X Server 2.0.
AMD netboot terminal.

Dual 733 Mhz G4
866 Mhz G4
1 Ghz G4

533 and 733 Cube with 15"TFT build in or attached to existing enclosure.

I know that the iMac is going to get a bigger screen (Confirmed) but I don't know when :-)

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2001, 09:50 AM

How about a 1U rackmount with OS X Server 2.0 ??

Smircle
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2001, 12:11 PM

Since this is not a keynote, just a smaller event, we'll probably see only one or two announcements.
My guess:
- new iBook, 1024x768 13" screen, more RAM in the better config (and a higher total RAM limit, 768MB or something) and a choice of cd-rw or dvd as a bto option. Redesigned (not so curvy) enclosure, but still in plastics, because this is cheaper and more durable than Al/Ti. More interesting to see will be if they'll up the bus speed to 83 (CPU@450, 550)
or 100Mhz (CPU@ 400, 500). If they go with a larger screen, they'll need this. 83 would be kinda lame, 100 uncomfortably close to the TiBook. Same for screen size. Staying at 800x600 is too small, going to 1024 is damn close to TiBook. ATI Rage 128, unless...:

- possibly, just possibly a revision of the G4-Book. Too early, but maybe Apple wants to update specs more often (the TiBook was - acc. to rumors - speced in Oct, but delayed). So they could give the TiBook a push to distinguish it from the iBook. Possibly a GeForce gfx-chip and a larger screen (the only possible size would be 1600x1024). However, I doubt it since the TiBook is selling like hotcakes and there is no indication that the current models are EOL'd. So maybe just a speedbump to 500/600.

- Software: CD-R in X, maybe iPhoto and iMusic.
- Financials: recap of the situation, maybe a stab at Dell with an announcement for edu collaboration software

QT 5, larger X update with a sneek peak to the major revision 10.1, X server 2, MacOS 9.2, WebObjects 5: WWDC

G4 speed rev @ 733, 866 and 933 with dual option for the lower speeds, new iMacs, major X revision: MWNY

foobars
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 12:21 PM

I think more than anything this is going to be the big official OSX rollout. That means an update with DVD and CD-R support, new OSX ads, sales figures, and perhaps a few new peices of software to go with X (iPicture?).

I'd be cool to see a DP 733 and iBook rev, but these'll probally wind up showing up at MWNY.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2001, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by M�lum:

4- airport standard on all models
Now that would be a nice development. AirPort is one of the coolest things to ever happen to the Mac, as anyone who's used it will tell you.

------------------
The power of UNIX with the simplicity and elegance of Macintosh.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

Toyin
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 12:44 PM

I predict that there will be a lot of disappointed people.
Remember the 5L secret builds "3-4x faster than the 4 series". New improved Sherlock with find file function seperated from the application. Don't forget, "our new graphics layer...Quartz. It's beautiful and it's fast" He should have added, "when we figure out how to accelerate it."

Needless to say, I've been disappointed with every Apple release since the Dual 500mhz G4 was released at the same price as the current G4. So my predictions. New ibook and maybe OSX 10.02 with burning ability enabled (comes with lot's of colored spinning disks) and no signifant speed bump.

------------------
-Toyin

ToyinFayemi.com
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules