Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Woes of lactose intolerance and Passover

Woes of lactose intolerance and Passover
Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 09:34 AM

This is my first year that lactose intolerance has been a problem. Thus I use Lactaid pills to eat dairy now. Since I'm finally going to do my Passover shopping today and Monday, I checked into Lactaid use over Passover. The answer came back negative; I cannot use it over Passover. is about how I feel right now. Many of my snacks were dairy.
/mini rant

I should sue the makers of Lactaid for not making a kosher for Passover version...
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 09:49 AM

No, I think you should take them anyway. It's for health reasons.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 09:55 AM

I'd hate being lactose intolerant. I love milk and cheese.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 09:56 AM

I swear Smac posted in this thread.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 10:00 AM

He did, me thinks it was…um…is "delete-inated" a word?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:06 AM

Somebody used their moderator powers unfairly?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:30 AM

Lactard!
Passover is full of meat, what are you doing eating dairy products.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 10:33 AM

If this is really the most stressful thing going on in your life consider yourself lucky.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 10:53 AM

Here's what I found from the Star-K Certification site:

Lactaid:
Reg & Fast Act Caplets - when bearing OU
Fast Act Chewable - when bearing OUD (Dairy)

Dr. Choice Dairy Digestive - when bearing STAR-K
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:05 AM

Pills aren't food and thus shouldn't need to be kosher. Lactaid contains an enzyme that digests and is not digested, itself, for the purposes of satiation. I don't see the problem here.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 11:31 AM

Your rabbi told you this? I would think it wouldn't be a problem. It's all about your relationship with your faith and what you feel comfortable with. Modern living and religion is full of compromises.

Certain members of my family try and keep kosher and it can be very tough. I think doing it 100% would be next to impossible for a normal human being. You would never be able to go to a restaurant or eat at anyone's house other then your own.

Just do your best.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I think doing it 100% would be next to impossible for a normal human being. You would never be able to go to a restaurant or eat at anyone's house other then your own.
Thousands of people do this, myself included.

Scott, did Rabbi Bachman tell you this? I would ask other lactards what they did last year.

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Thousands of people do this, myself included.

Scott, did Rabbi Bachman tell you this? I would ask other lactards what they did last year.

Pesha. Star-k says no, too.
It's not really medicine. Still pondering. This is why I asked her though, it's non binding .
Some say yes, some say no.

Your rabbi told you this? I would think it wouldn't be a problem. It's all about your relationship with your faith and what you feel comfortable with. Modern living and religion is full of compromises.

Certain members of my family try and keep kosher and it can be very tough. I think doing it 100% would be next to impossible for a normal human being. You would never be able to go to a restaurant or eat at anyone's house other then your own.

Just do your best.
Eh, I eat at other people's houses (well, apartments) and had pizza from a restaurant last night. It isn't insanely hard.

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Here's what I found from the Star-K Certification site:

Lactaid:
Reg & Fast Act Caplets - when bearing OU
Fast Act Chewable - when bearing OUD (Dairy)

Dr. Choice Dairy Digestive - when bearing STAR-K
Wrong list.
My website

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 12:25 PM

Technically if you are keeping kosher you are not allowed to eat off of the plates that have been used to prepare meats and cheeses together. You need to separate all of the dishes. this is why you cannot eat out.

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 12:29 PM

Time to do more research. Yay.

Technically if you are keeping kosher you are not allowed to eat off of the plates that have been used to prepare meats and cheeses together. You need to separate all of the dishes. this is why you cannot eat out.
I know

The dining hall has 2 kitchens and meals are either meat or dairy (as in, they only serve meat that meal or only serve dairy).
The pizza places are all only dairy, and there's a few meat restaurants around, the closest being at the edge of campus.
My website

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 12:42 PM

But it's still not kosher. If they use a pan that has ever been used to prepare non-kosher foods, then the food you are eating is not kosher. Are all of the ingredients kosher? Keeping strict kosher is next to impossible.

You just have to do your best.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 12:45 PM

Utensils (pots, pans, plates, flatware, etc., etc.) must also be kosher. A utensil picks up the kosher "status" (meat, dairy, pareve, or treyf) of the food that is cooked in it or eaten off of it, and transmits that status back to the next food that is cooked in it or eaten off of it. Thus, if you cook chicken soup in a saucepan, the pan becomes meat. If you thereafter use the same saucepan to heat up some warm milk, the fleishig status of the pan is transmitted to the milk, and the milchig status of the milk is transmitted to the pan, making both the pan and the milk a forbidden mixture.

Kosher status can be transmitted from the food to the utensil or from the utensil to the food only in the presence of heat, thus if you are eating cold food in a non-kosher establishment, the condition of the plates is not an issue. Likewise, you could use the same knife to slice cold cuts and cheese, as long as you clean it in between, but this is not really a recommended procedure, because it increases the likelihood of mistakes.

Stove tops and sinks routinely become non-kosher utensils, because they routinely come in contact with both meat and dairy in the presence of heat. It is necessary, therefore, to use dishpans when cleaning dishes (don't soak them directly in the sink) and to use separate spoon rests and trivets when putting things down on the stove top.

Dishwashers are a kashrut problem. If you are going to use a dishwasher in a kosher home, you either need to have separate dish racks or you need to run the dishwasher in between meat and dairy loads.

You should use separate towels and pot holders for meat and dairy. Routine laundering kashers such items, so you can simply launder them between using them for meat and dairy.

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 12:46 PM

But it's still not kosher. If they use a pan that has ever been used to prepare non-kosher foods, then the food you are eating is not kosher. Are all of the ingredients kosher? Keeping strict kosher is next to impossible.

You just have to do your best.

Oh yeah, they are all also strictly kosher
Here's a list of some of them: http://www.capitolk.org/supervised/restaurants.html
This has most of the others: http://www.shalomdc.org/content_disp...ticleID=160873 (Sabra deli = school cafeteria)
My website

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 01:11 PM

Scott,

Good for you in keeping kosher l'pesach. I didn't even know you were a MOT. Eating dairy is bad for you. This is why G-d made you lactose intolerant.

Chag kasher vsameach,
bstone

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 01:14 PM

As a former employee of Sabra Deli (University of Maryland Dining Services actually) I can tell you it was strictly kosher.

Now back to how being a lactard sucks.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 01:16 PM

Scott is lactarded!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(still mad at you for closing my Radeon 8500 posts when you opened one yourself!)

Scotttheking  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Corpse of Chewbacca
Scott is lactarded!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(still mad at you for closing my Radeon 8500 posts when you opened one yourself!)
ok. I still don't care
So I'm still pondering on using Lactaid. And I also haven't done any of my shopping yet.

Oooh, SSharon, I have some good news regarding a toy you wanted to play with.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Apr 7, 2006 at 01:30 PM. )
My website

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
ok. I still don't care
So I'm still pondering on using Lactaid. And I also haven't done any of my shopping yet.

There's nothing wrong in asking for mechila.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I can find one thing in this thread that sounds very unkosher and it's right here in my post.

I will contact you privately so as not to let the others onto our experiments.

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:09 PM

He is probably a conservative Jew. Like someone here said it is about you and your faith; you do not have to advertize it. Or there is another solution, use skim milk and hard cheeses like cheddar no soft one like Brie. You might be a little sick but nothing to compare to using whole milk. And it depends how severe your intolerance is for me I am also allergic to cow milk; but taken in small quantity I do not have any problems with milk and cheeses.

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 7, 2006, 02:40 PM

When you drink cow milk do you break out in hives, itch, etc?

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 02:56 PM

No, actually I have diarrhea, but I have hives when I eat nuts (I did not used to but at 46 years old I developed this new allergy.) But if you break out in hives and itch you probably allergic to something in cow milk, did you try soy milk (it does not taste as great but it might be a solution for you).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
...but at 46 years old...
Ahh, that's it. You're such a gritch all the time because you're menopausal.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Monique
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 03:01 PM

What is your reply have to do with this thread.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2006, 03:20 PM

My aunt invited me to come up north for Pesach this year, which is especially important to her because my grandfather passed away last year and she wants everyone to be together on Pesach in his memory. Unfortunately, I have pretty important obligations erev Pesach; I don't think I can afford to shirk them to make the road trip with the rest of the family. That's going to be a drag. But as far as pills and other legitimate medications, at least my orthodox rabbis are fairly clear that they have no kashrut implications. Of course, that does not mean you should take a pork pill, either.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Ahh, that's it. You're such a gritch all the time because you're menopausal.
Wow.

Anyway, my wife the RD has said that lactose intolerance is highly "over-diagnosed," and negative reactions are often due to other things. So you may want to make sure that's it - something else could alleviate the symptoms. Not saying that fits in your case, Scottheking, but apparently it does happen an awful lot.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 03:33 PM

Maybe you need meat to help your body break up the dairy products. Try washing down your milk with a big chunk of rare steak.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
My aunt invited me to come up north for Pesach this year, which is especially important to her because my grandfather passed away last year and she wants everyone to be together on Pesach in his memory. Unfortunately, I have pretty important obligations erev Pesach; I don't think I can afford to shirk them to make the road trip with the rest of the family. That's going to be a drag. But as far as pills and other legitimate medications, at least my orthodox rabbis are fairly clear that they have no kashrut implications. Of course, that does not mean you should take a pork pill, either.
My grandmother passed away last week (as I was driving from chicago to NJ to see her), I say go visit family.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 07:25 PM

If your salvation is based on your diet, you must be going to hell.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 08:47 PM

i could have sworn you were talking about lacoste-

i too am lactose intolerant, i fart a lot. But less now that i don't drink straight milk or eat ice cream. cheese is my Achilles heel, so there's still that element. i'm so glad i found a patient and caring girlfriend.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2006, 09:34 PM

My grandmother passed away last week (as I was driving from chicago to NJ to see her), I say go visit family.
My condolences, SSharon. Ha'makom yenahem etkhem betokh she'ar avelei Tziyon ve'Yerushalayim. And thank you for the advice - I am going to do what I can to take care of things so that I do not have to miss the trip.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Corpse of Chewbacca
Baninated
Apr 8, 2006, 11:18 PM

Shaya....ouch. I had no clue. Send my best to your folks.

May you be comforted among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 12:41 AM

Big Mac, Corpse of Chewbacca,

Thank you both for the kind words.

L'shana Haba B'Yerushalayim!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2006, 02:45 AM

I'd just take the lactaid, but then I don't even keep kosher

Really it's up to what you feel comfortable with, which you seem to know already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules