Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Theories on who is mailing the anthrax

Theories on who is mailing the anthrax
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 04:52 PM

1. It's just what it appears to be: bin Laden et al.'s second move. They had it planned after the hijackings. They bought the technology from a third party: Iraq, some former Soviets, or some other group. But this third party had nothing to do with mailing the anthrax, in this scenario.

2. Iraq. They say there are only 3 places the anthrax could come from: The US, Russia, or Iraq. I still think it's possible that Iraq was responsible even for the hijackings - I know, several of the hijackers have been identified as being members of al Qaeda. But they could have been hired by Iraq. The revenge on GHWB's son provides an obvious motive. Maybe Hussein still has dreams of becoming the great Arab leader.

3. Some US grad student in biochemistry with a disturbed mind and a desire to stir things up. Like a new Tylenol terrorist.

4. Domestic terrorists. Probably a right-wing group, but left-wing/anarchist/anti-globalization groups have become pretty vocal lately. Could be either.

Does this writing look to anyone else like it's from someone pretending to be an Islamic terrorist?

Niubi
Banned
Oct 27, 2001, 05:37 PM

I woulden't dare guess on who is doing it, but by the content of the letters you have pictured above, it seems that "Allah is great" is a rather irreligiously put way of saying that...if you follow. I find the use of that phrase to indicate either, very unestablished and new islamic fundamentalist converts wrote this or someone smoking up their killing spree with recent global fear of islamic extremism.

Either Way.... There is too many evil fvckers around

pfflam
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2001, 05:45 PM

I think that th e "allah is great" is almost too obviouse. . . could even be a right wong racist group trying to provoke a blanket hatred.

Niubi, did you say that it is crude because it uses the name Allah, unstead of saying God, where using the name is not as respectfull as using the more general term?

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2001, 06:19 PM

I would guess 3 or 4. I doubt right wing groups would grab the coatails of bin Laden and pals. Plus the "militia" groups are watched very closely after OK city. So i'd guess a left group. Just speculation. Could also be a neo-Nazi group too. The anti-semitism of the muslim world meshes well with the neo-Nazis.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 06:26 PM

Shouldn't the title be something like "Who MAILED the anthrax?"

I mean, I haven't heard anything about any NEW mailings...

The rest of this anthrax they are finding came from those envelopes, it seems. Stuck to equipment, in the same buildings, etc.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Sine
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2001, 07:16 PM

This isn't any "Right Wing" groups... or college students people..

gimme a break all ready

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 08:18 PM

I think they are merely copycats who want a piece of the media coverage. Have they found any fingerprints on the letters?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2001, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>I think they are merely copycats who want a piece of the media coverage. Have they found any fingerprints on the letters?</STRONG>
I love to think of the person who be smart enough to produce anthrax yet dumb enough not to wear gloves when handling it.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2001, 08:28 PM

You guys hadn't heard about the new store at Amazon? It's their Threatening Letters and Biological Terrorism store. But Amazon overcharges, compared to other Internet stores, so I don't really order things from them, very often.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2001, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
<STRONG>You guys hadn't heard about the new store at Amazon? It's their Threatening Letters and Biological Terrorism store. But Amazon overcharges, compared to other Internet stores, so I don't really order things from them, very often. </STRONG>
Yeah, but that One-Click ordering is something else, let me tell you. One-Clink Anthrax, here we come!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 10:50 PM

I find it interesting that few people in the world would write the date 09/11/01, except someone in America.

If a genuine terrorist from the middle East wrote those letters, and wanted someone to know it, why would they not write the date as what's probably typical in their own country; 11/09/01?

hummm.. maybe they said ALLAN is great. Maybe we're dealing with a serial Poe fan?

"Death to America, Death to Israel...but... well... Allan is great."

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 10:54 PM

This could be the work of the Riddler.

"Wait a minute Batman, it's not September 11th at all, it's telling us to get ready for what's coming next... on November 9th."

"Goddammit you're right Robin! Quick.. to the Batmobile!"

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: CRASH HARDDRIVE ]

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2001, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>I find it interesting that few people in the world would write the date 09/11/01, except someone in America.

If a genuine terrorist from the middle East wrote those letters, and wanted someone to know it, why would they not write the date as what's probably typical in their own country; 11/09/01?</STRONG>
It also seems odd that "penacillin" is spelled wrong. That seems like a native speaker. A native English speaker wouldn't bother to look up a word that he'd heard many times.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2001, 11:26 PM

Right or left wing domestic nut jobs might be responsible. I'll bet the FBI profilers are working overtime. One thing to note about the terrorists so far presumed involved is that a number of them were westernized to a degree. They lived in communities, collected benefits, worked, attended classes etc... for at least a few years prior to the attacks. The spelling and dating may be the result of this 'enculturation'
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

VRL
Senior User
Oct 28, 2001, 10:48 AM

Another theory: Iraq gave anthrax to al Qaeda (no money trail) - didn't ask any questions, knowing al Qaeda and bin Laden would most likely use it against Americans or allies of America (either way, Iraq and Saddam would be happy).

Al Qaeda worked/works with other terrorist networks since they understood focus would be on them after attacks against NY and Washington. The terrorists became united, and knowing the sensitivities of Americans (sensitive political issues) and agendas of politicians, went out of their way stir up confrontations/division within the U.S. The terrorists instructed cells to plant ideas in the media (news, radio talk shows, e-mail - wherever) and provide misleading tips to law enforcement to throw off investigators, as well as citizens.

If division in the U.S. is created as a result of suspicions (because people start wondering if some domestic radicals sent the anthrax letters, e.g.), or if a lack of trust towards the U.S. and allies of America can be encouraged (by the Taliban poisoning Afghans and pointing fingers at the U.S., exaggerating civilian Afghan death stats, or blaming U.S. policy makers for all that is bad in the world), the terrorists are helped - focus is shifted. Such division, amplified by confusion, ignorance, and fear, means the terrorists can continue their attacks more easily, and can even become heroic in the eyes of the misinformed (gain more support). Therefore, the terror networks constantly provide lies and half-truths to an eager media - media companies that are (selfishly) looking for the next big news story.

Add to this the predictability of the reluctance of Muslim clerics to denounce attacks against infidels (or to condemn fellow Muslims), thus allowing the so-called vocal minority of extremist Muslims to have the spotlight ... propaganda becomes an even more powerful weapon, especially for the terrorists who claim to be devout Muslims.

... Actually, I hope it was some domestic whack-job college student.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Kaglan
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 12:22 PM

I am pretty sure it is a domestic nut job, as you say it. We know the terrorists' resources; if they wanted an anthrax scare, they would be more effective. (By infecting more people, and choosing random groups of common folk -- as it is, unless you are a big important person, then you don't need to worry very much, and after all, the worry and the fear is the point.)

As for who it is... I really don't know. We aren't talking mind-boggling complex work. I suppose it could be a college student, but it also could be just about anyone else. I suspect, however, that it is a random nut rather than a extremist group, left wing or right wing, as some have suggested. I think there would be more of a theme to the attacks if this was the case (i.e. targets would be selected for political position).

Finally... I think someone told me that Allah is the Arab word for God... and that even Arab Christians pray to "Allah." Please correct me if I am wrong, as I do not speak Arabic, but I don't think there is a distinction, in that language, between saying "God," and saying the name of the one God.

San Acoustic
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2001, 12:52 PM

Probably a religious fruitcake or someone who gets rich by exploiting religious fruitcakes. In any time of trouble, you can bank on religion enjoying the good times and raking in the cash.

I'd say it's someone who believes abortion-clinic workers, single mothers, gays and people who don't pray with their knees on broken glass are responsible for the airliner crashes. Purple Teletubby attackers comes to mind, too.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2001, 01:14 PM

Recent news suggests that they are now leaning toward the idea that the stuff was processed here. NPR yesterday. Incompatibilities with different processing styles and materials with Iraq and the former USSR. Consistencies with the way we do stuff here.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Lerkfish
Oct 30, 2001, 01:37 PM

regardless of the actual source, it is performing very well in favor of the terrorists by distracting and diluting our homeland resources so that when the next MASS attack occurs, we'd be suckerpunched again.

Let's think: anthrax in the north and east: therefore the next mass attack in the southwest somewhere.

If I can figure this stuff out, so can the terrorists who've been planning for a decade.

Nile Crocodile
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2001, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
<STRONG>regardless of the actual source, it is performing very well in favor of the terrorists by distracting and diluting our homeland resources so that when the next MASS attack occurs, we'd be suckerpunched again.

Let's think: anthrax in the north and east: therefore the next mass attack in the southwest somewhere.

If I can figure this stuff out, so can the terrorists who've been planning for a decade.</STRONG>
Well the Anthrax is real. So no matter what bin Laden and pals have next it has to be dealt with. It may be a distraction but what can we do? It may seems like a distraction but maybe it just keeps more people in their toes.
I'm a Nile Crocodile

Lerkfish
Oct 30, 2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Nile Crocodile:
<STRONG>

Well the Anthrax is real. So no matter what bin Laden and pals have next it has to be dealt with. It may be a distraction but what can we do? It may seems like a distraction but maybe it just keeps more people in their toes.</STRONG>
oh, sorry, I didnt mean it wasnt real, I meant it was a way to harry the enemy to distract them from the real offensive. Classic strategy. If you are facing a larger force, you do quick hit and runs that dont really do a lot of mass damage but force the army to concentrate on defending against them. Meanwhile you mass your own forces opposite the harrying location and full-scale tilt assault on their backs.

Oh, anthrax is real and deadly. yes sir. But not as real and deadly as say, a backpack nuke going off in downtown Los Angeles while all the FBI and homeland forces are running around post offices in the northeast.

deedar
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 02:41 PM

Don't be fooled folks - this sh!t is the work of group(s) loosely or even closely associated with the 9/11 terrorists. The writing, the spelling, the date are all inteded to create confusion. Make no mistake - this is far more sophisticated than it appears to be. My guess is that it is a diversion for the next strike. It could, however, actually be the next strike - not going as well as hoped for (by the terrorists)....

added:

I forgot to mention - Iraq IS involved. No doubt.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: deedar ]

xyber233
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 02:43 PM

I bet you that its an american. I doubt Bin Laden would do something this small. He had something to do with this, he wold want it to be big. This person probably thought that this was a convenient time to cause trouble since Bin Laden would be suspected.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2001, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>I bet you that its an american. I doubt Bin Laden would do something this small. He had something to do with this, he wold want it to be big. This person probably thought that this was a convenient time to cause trouble since Bin Laden would be suspected.</STRONG>
I don't think so. Think of the logistical problems with distributing the stuff. How to spread it, the amount of well milled quality spores, moving the stuff around the US (after the strikes, I am sure it is pretty hard), etc. If they really wanted to throw the anthrax around, they'd use the crop duster. But in using the airlines to get the last thing done, they blew that hand. What's left? Mail. Good terror move. It has got us paranoid.
The chemical thing has me more concerned. Remember the sarin thing in Japan?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

ac2c
Oct 30, 2001, 04:40 PM

Unlike the Unibomber of several years ago who could make bombs very easily in his back room, the Anthrax attack takes a great deal more to send out. At the very least the person sending it would have to be a bio-technician. Not even going into the ability to get and manufacture Anthrax, the person/persons that are sending this have to be using sophisticated techniques. Handling bio hazard materials is a very dangerous hobby. One mistake and you kill yourself rather than spread your terror. If (or I should say when) the person/persons are caught, it will show a very sophisticated system to transfer the Anthrax to the letters and to mail the letters. Any handling of the letters with Anthrax spores as small as indicated in the mail takes very special equipment and very well trained personal to handle it "safely". Considering the amount of equipment and protective clothing and devices needed, I wonder how many FBI agents are now knocking on doors with a list of names in hand of people that have purchased some or all of this equipment? Either that or some paranoid average person is going to see someone wandering around with a lot of protective clothing on and call the cops.

As far as who is doing it - it doesn't matter. The person/persons will be caught -hopefully sooner rather than later - but caught they will be. They better hope that it is the FBI rather than local police or heaven help them local civilians that do catch them. Whoever it is, one or a thousand, should be afraid - very afraid.
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you!

finboy
Oct 30, 2001, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by VRL:
<STRONG>Another theory: Iraq gave anthrax to al Qaeda (no money trail) - didn't ask any questions, knowing al Qaeda and bin Laden would most likely use it against Americans or allies of America (either way, Iraq and Saddam would be happy).

Al Qaeda worked/works with other terrorist networks since they understood focus would be on them after attacks against NY and Washington. The terrorists became united, and knowing the sensitivities of Americans (sensitive political issues) and agendas of politicians, went out of their way stir up confrontations/division within the U.S. The terrorists instructed cells to plant ideas in the media (news, radio talk shows, e-mail - wherever) and provide misleading tips to law enforcement to throw off investigators, as well as citizens.

If division in the U.S. is created as a result of suspicions (because people start wondering if some domestic radicals sent the anthrax letters, e.g.), or if a lack of trust towards the U.S. and allies of America can be encouraged (by the Taliban poisoning Afghans and pointing fingers at the U.S., exaggerating civilian Afghan death stats, or blaming U.S. policy makers for all that is bad in the world), the terrorists are helped - focus is shifted. Such division, amplified by confusion, ignorance, and fear, means the terrorists can continue their attacks more easily, and can even become heroic in the eyes of the misinformed (gain more support). Therefore, the terror networks constantly provide lies and half-truths to an eager media - media companies that are (selfishly) looking for the next big news story.

</STRONG>
I'm right there with ya, bro. Sounds plausible.

I think, too, that if it were militia-types, the media would've already uncovered it. They're strongly biased to the left, I suspect. Hell, they'd uncover it even if it WEREN'T true.

Niubi
Banned
Oct 30, 2001, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by pfflam:
<STRONG>I think that th e "allah is great" is almost too obviouse. . . could even be a right wong racist group trying to provoke a blanket hatred.

Niubi, did you say that it is crude because it uses the name Allah, unstead of saying God, where using the name is not as respectfull as using the more general term?</STRONG>
I think you underestimate my intelligence...Easily done I know..

Saying "Allah is great" is a crude way for a true muslim to give his or her respective salutations to god/allah There are established ways in both english and arabic/urdu/pastu etc to say "Allah is great" BUT great is a word that is tooo american/ english...

Overall it's just too impassionate for someone supposedly so religiously possesed to send such horrible little parcels.

Lerkfish
Nov 2, 2001, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
<STRONG>regardless of the actual source, it is performing very well in favor of the terrorists by distracting and diluting our homeland resources so that when the next MASS attack occurs, we'd be suckerpunched again.

If I can figure this stuff out, so can the terrorists who've been planning for a decade.</STRONG>

just wanted to bump this up. Seems Bridges in california are a new threat.....south and west.

ajtpolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 12:36 PM

First off, let me say a few things that might clear things up for people.

1. Anthrax is NOT a serious public health threat. It is easily treatable with a variety of available drugs as long as it is caught early enough. (This is just like Spinal Menningitis except the latter kills tens or hundreds every year) As of today, 4 people have died of Anthrax in the U.S. in 25 years! Even in the last 30 days, the death rate is less than 1% of those killed by automobile accidents or smoking-related causes. It's even fewer than the number of people who have been killed by not wearing bicycle helmets.

2. Do NOT attempt to acquire Cipro or other antibiotics unless someone close to you has been infected or exposed and you may have been exposed too. Every time someone takes an atibiotic to treat a bacterial infection (like anthrax), there are some bacteria that are not affected by the drug. These bacteria then survive and create offspring that also are not affected by the drug. Usually this gives your immune system enough of an advantage that the infection is eventually eliminated. But, there are many types of bacteria that live in our bodies naturally and some are even dangerous. For example, the bacterium that causes meningitis lives naturally in many people's bodies and when these people take drugs like Cipro neeedlessly, they succeed only in producing tons of meningitis bugs that are immune to that drug. There are a limited number of drugs that we can give people for meningitis right now, it's DANGEROUS to use Cipro or other antibiotics unless you have been exposed!

3. Whoever is sending this anthrax is very unskilled in the art of bioterror. No self respecting graduate student in biochemistry (as the accusation was made earlier) would begin a bioterror campaign with anthrax that was not resistant to penicillin - the most basic of all antibiotics. If it is being sent by an organized terror group, then the entire goal may just be to scare us while they cook up their next plan. BTW, Smallpox is a serious public health concern - if they have gotten their hands on this one, look out! We are grossly underprepared for smallpox.

4. Please don't microwave your mail!!!!! Some people have seen that the US Postal Service is purchasing irradiation machines like have been used to sterilize foods before. These are NOT microwaves. An anthrax spore can be thought of as a tiny dried up version of the full bacterium. Microwaves rely on heating up the water inside your foods, if the bacterium is "dried up" then there's no water to heat up. This method will not work. If you don't believe my, do an experiment: put a saltine or other very dry food in the microwave..... turn it on..... what happens, nothing, right? Is that saltine even getting warm? didn't think so.

5. Please spread all of this information to your friends and families. The fear that is running rampant across the U.S. right now is the most dangerous thing we have to deal with. Since 9/11 we haven't really had anything pose the U.S. public any real threat by way of terrorism. But, if I had a dollar for every time an arab or sikh has been accosted or every time a wealthy person convinced their Doctor to write a prescription for Cipro because they were naive...... well, you know the clich�. Just please, don't let the media hysteria scare you. We are still safe!

Thank you for listening.

Sincerely,
-ajtpolo

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2001, 12:38 PM

I think whomever it is, lives within 45 minutes of me (possibly less) everything is right arround my home.

Trenton facility - 25 minutes
Princeton Post office - 10 (at the most)
Monmouth Junction (real 08852) - 2 minutes if I miss the light.

It just all points way to close to home

Needless to say, I am hopeing we catch them, then ammend the constitution to allow cruel and unusual punishment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules