Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > TV Tuner in OSX

TV Tuner in OSX
CopperBlue
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 01:22 PM

Hey guys...

I'm a new person to the Mac world and want to get a TV Tuner card for my G4/867 running 10.1. I've taken a look at products from ATI and the MyTV2Go company and neither of them has drivers for 10.1 available, and from the way it sounds won't have drivers for quite some time.

Are there other TV Tuner cards out there that I'm missing? Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

CopperBlue

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2001, 01:51 PM

For now, your options are pretty limited. There's a driver for BTTV-based cards, but it's rather crude at the moment (they're working on integrating it into QuickTime, but that will take time).

If you really want to watch TV, then for now I'm afraid your best bet is to get a FireWire video adapter, hook in a VCR or cable box, and watch in iMovie or BTV or something else that can capture video. TV cards, for now, are more or less out.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2001, 02:52 PM

I sent an email to Eskape regarding my MyTV tuner and OS X. In the reply they said sometime around the end of November was their hopeful date for OS X software

UnixDork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 02:54 PM

I've looked at Formac Studio, for video capture. It also
includes a TV tuner. Formac support tells me that capture
works under OS X without drivers (it's just another firewire
video source) but software for the tuner is another 4 weeks
away. This was three weeks ago when I was told this, so I
expect it soon. I'm waiting to buy it until the software
is there. They also make a cheaper PCI card that's primarily
just a tuner. I assume when they get the software up to
speed on OS X, it would be ready, too.

ajtpolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 05:20 PM

No!!! Stay the heck away from Formac, please!!!!!! For your own sake..... that company has the worst business sense I have ever seen.... They are all about the quick sell. Some people like some of their products, but as for their TV cards...... keep away. Their software for OS 9 is terrible and they aren't even answering my emails about when (is ever - and it looks like never) they will be supporting OS X. I even pretended that I was interested in buying a lot of TV cards from them if they were going to support X and they STILL ignored me. They have no interest in customer support. Do yourself a favor and keep away. Hope this helps.

-ajtpolo

patrickjketelaar
Nov 6, 2001, 07:25 PM

You can always help us try to get apples darwin bt8xx drivers running correctly on x.1, go to the Usage and Support thread, its called OSX and PCI TV tuners. We need more people to help!

Patrick
Patrick J Ketelaar
Aerospace Engineering student, Parks College of Engineering and Aviation

dtriska
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by ajtpolo:
<STRONG>No!!! Stay the heck away from Formac, please!!!!!! For your own sake..... that company has the worst business sense I have ever seen.... They are all about the quick sell. Some people like some of their products, but as for their TV cards...... keep away. Their software for OS 9 is terrible and they aren't even answering my emails about when (is ever - and it looks like never) they will be supporting OS X. I even pretended that I was interested in buying a lot of TV cards from them if they were going to support X and they STILL ignored me. They have no interest in customer support. Do yourself a favor and keep away. Hope this helps.

-ajtpolo</STRONG>
Formac responded to me in less than a day.

"Formac is currently researching the feasibility of supporting OS X for ProTV. If and when Formac releases a driver it will be made available via Formac's website."

Sure, it's not the most optimistic reply, but many companies have been giving non-committal replies.

Please don't advocate the dismissal of a company just because they haven't responded to an email or two. I don't know the particulars of your situation, but it sounds like you're getting upset over nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

[edit: fixed some line wrapping]

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: dtriska ]

benh57
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by CopperBlue:
<STRONG>
Are there other TV Tuner cards out there that I'm missing? Any information would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

CopperBlue</STRONG>
I sent a query to the AccessDTV folks ( http://www.accessdtv.com/ - Makers of an HDTV PVR/capture/tuner card!) and here is their reply:

Reply-To: &lt;[email protected]&gt;
Subject: RE: mac version desired
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:25:33 -0500

While we do not currently offer Mac support, we hope to in the future. I
will add you to our notification list so that we can contact you when a Mac
support project is initiated.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules