Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Phone (t616) best thing I have ever bought. How do you use your BT and Mac?

Bluetooth Phone (t616) best thing I have ever bought. How do you use your BT and Mac?
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 10:52 PM

THIS THING ROCKS! lol
there is NO LIMIT to what it can do!

i just discovered the ability to control iTunes, and DVD player through Stalling and Romeo, i'm STUNNED. The ability to pause iTunes and set my iChat status when i take a call!?! thats amazing to me! I can see myself using it for Keynote for my up coming marketing presentations...and DVD player for the nights i lay asleep DVD-less for i'm to lazy to turn it off after its over.

the file transfer also rocks, i just wish i had better reception when I'm at home in CT, but i'm sure when i get back to school in NY tomorrow my reception will be stellar!

so what else can i do with this that will amaze me! lol

how do you use your phone in conjunction with your mac?

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 02:05 AM

Today I used my phone as a remote to help me import some vinyl to the computer. Since our turntable is across the room, I put the needle down and used my phone to hit the record button. And, of course, I have used it for DVD player.

Unfortunately I get terrible coverage in my house, so I can't really use the cool address book caller id and auto pause of iTunes and stuff. Hopefully someday my coverage will improve on this side of town.

I have also used it as a modem and plan to use it like that more once I get a powerbook and don't have wi-fi access.

Glad you are having fun with it. Bluetooth is so cool!!

-b

icebookdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 11:26 AM

Bluetooth really rocks! Especially with the T610 (T616 in the US). What i really like is that you can write SMS using the adressbook. I am to lazy to type SMS on the stupid keys on the phone. Typing on the Keyboard of my ibook is so much nicer and faster!

You can also receive SMS with adressbook. This is really cool when you are in a library where you are not allowed to use your mobile. Just leave it in your pocket and get a popup on the screen of your mac when you get a SMS and instantly replay to it without touching your phone.

I love Bluetooth.

Another cool thing are wireless bluetooth headsets, especially in a car using voice dialing.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2003, 07:54 PM

Is there any way to transfer audio from the phone to the Mac via Bluetooth? I'd love to be able to save some voicemails I have to my Mac.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 01:44 AM

Voice recordings can be transferred to the Mac. They appear as .amr files and can be played by QuickTime 6.2 if you have the 3G codecs installed. I think you can record conversations too but I'm not sure how you go about it, I assume you would transfer it as a voice recording and play it in the same fashion as above.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 08:40 AM

I use it most for iSync. I got rid of my palm since I got the seimens s56 BT phone - my calendar, to do list, and address book, all perfectly synced - I love it.

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 08:53 AM

*wants a new phone*

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 01:39 PM

Anyone know where to get one in Canada or at least a good deal on an unlocked one?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 11:32 AM

Just a question, how does the Nokia 3650 rank up compared to the T616? I have a situation to get the Nokia new from my cell phone compnay new for $99 us and was wondering if it has good features also?

I don't care about the camera part of it but the bluetooth part does interest me.

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 12:48 PM

nokia bluetooth support is horrible... had nothing but trouble with my old nokia, so switched to SE phones... no looking back.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 08:53 PM

OTOH, my Nokia 3650 works perfectly. Bluetooth and iSync work like a dream. I've only had it for a month, but I've had no complaints.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by as2:
nokia bluetooth support is horrible... had nothing but trouble with my old nokia, so switched to SE phones... no looking back.
Hmm... my 3650 works flawlessly.

Quick rundown of 3650 vs. T610:

3650 advantages:
- Better, brighter, bigger screen
- Better reception
- Better camera
- Expandable memory
- A plethora of Symbia apps available
- Powerful e-mail and organization apps

T610 advantages:
- Better battery life
- More compact

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Hmm... my 3650 works flawlessly.

Quick rundown of 3650 vs. T610:

3650 advantages:
- Better, brighter, bigger screen
- Better reception
- Better camera
- Expandable memory
- A plethora of Symbia apps available
- Powerful e-mail and organization apps

T610 advantages:
- Better battery life
- More compact
hum
my T616's reception isn't so good..is it really that better?

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2003, 04:44 AM

You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2003, 07:34 AM

Romeo is dead.
Salling Clicker is a fantastic tool.. go and check it out. www.salling.com it won 2 Apple design awards!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
hum
my T616's reception isn't so good..is it really that better?
Yes. From MobileBurn.com:

One of the weaknesses of the T68 and T68i devices was RF reception. Considering that earlier models like the T39 and R520 could hold on to the faintest of signals, that was kinda a surprise at the time. I was really looking forward to the T610 improving my RF reception situation, since my apartment is in a weak signal area.

Not only did I not get what I had hoped for, but instead I got less. The RF reception of the T610 on T-Mobile USA's 1900Mhz band is terrible. Rotten. Horrible.

This is the second deal-breaker for me. The phone can not hold a signal. The signal strength graph moves around wildly and frequently shows no signal, even when the poor performing T68i can at least squeak by and other handset have no trouble. I missed calls in my apartment because of the T610. I dropped many calls, too.

Quinn
Sep 17, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by kelix:
Romeo is dead.
Salling Clicker is a fantastic tool.. go and check it out. www.salling.com it won 2 Apple design awards!
Em...wrong. Romeo is not dead. I know for a fact that the developer is working on it right now.

Also, Romeo is free.

Clicker is not.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by icebookdude:
What i really like is that you can write SMS using the adressbook.
Ooooh! Nice tip!

macdevil
Sep 17, 2003, 01:19 PM

Sprint! Get off your and get me a bluetooth phone! You morons annouce in Nov. the SE 608. Where is it? I should have never renewed my contract
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

malemutekid
Sep 17, 2003, 06:18 PM

I just got a T616 and my reception is fine here in Knoxville. I have one question: Which one is better, romeo or salling clicker?
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by macdevil:
Sprint! Get off your and get me a bluetooth phone! You morons annouce in Nov. the SE 608. Where is it? I should have never renewed my contract
I'm in the same boat, and man oh man am I pissed.

hui
Sep 18, 2003, 05:13 AM

Has anyone have any problems with opening up (on a 15" PB with a USB BT dongle attached) that you can only use one application at a time (i.e. you can't use Salling and Address book BT at the same time). However, upon trying it on my 17" PB, it works perfectly fine. Does anyone know how to solve this little problem?
Thanks
Hui

phabfive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by southtdi:
Just a question, how does the Nokia 3650 rank up compared to the T616?
You can use the 3650 as a brick to build a solid outhouse.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 03:58 AM

i used to have the 3650, but now have the t616. the 3650 has much better picture quality, a bigger and brighter screen, and several other things that i like better. however, the t616 is muuuuccccch much smaller. it is almost as small as my old nokia that is possibly the smallest phone in the world. also, you can sync your calender with the t616. the t616's pictures are really bad, but i like the phone better. it fits in my pocket better, and it just works for me. i use salling clicker and i love it.
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2003, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Dubloseven:
i used to have the 3650, but now have the t616. the 3650 has much better picture quality, a bigger and brighter screen, and several other things that i like better. however, the t616 is muuuuccccch much smaller. it is almost as small as my old nokia that is possibly the smallest phone in the world. also, you can sync your calender with the t616. the t616's pictures are really bad, but i like the phone better. it fits in my pocket better, and it just works for me. i use salling clicker and i love it.
from my other post...since you've had both you could help me i'm sure...

I have a new, unlocked T616 that i just got, and i also just got CIngular service (switched from Verizon)
now i love the size...everything..BUT i HATE the reception...but i think thats because i'm a verizon whore...i travel between NEw York and CT alot..and was in CT for the start of my trial period and the Reception wasn't so good...

but i have the 15 days to decide...
so here are my options really.

Nokia 3650 with Cingular
Nokia 3650 with TMobile
SE T616 with Cingular (what I currently have)
SE T616 with TMobile

I LOVE the phone other wise, the BT, the colours, everything. my friend has a 3650, and saw its reception compaired to mine...it was better...alot better...but i've also read up and see that there is a firmware update that may fix the RF problem?...is this true? check out www.globalmob.com does it work? would it fix my reception issue?

so do I stay with Cingular on this? or jump ship to TMobile?

I REALLY would like a phone that gets reception and is usuable...and my current experience w/ the t616 isn't TERRIBLE...but its deff lacking. So what do you suggest?

dcsmrgun
Sep 20, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by WJMoore:
Voice recordings can be transferred to the Mac. They appear as .amr files and can be played by QuickTime 6.2 if you have the 3G codecs installed. I think you can record conversations too but I'm not sure how you go about it, I assume you would transfer it as a voice recording and play it in the same fashion as above.
I was under the impression that voicemail resides on the company's server and not on your phone. Is there a way to download a voicemail to your phone? I'm using a t68i and this would make me no end of happy once my powerbook arrives (Holy crud, bluetooth with Windows is a nightmare)

nighttraitor
Sep 24, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by hui:
Has anyone have any problems with opening up (on a 15" PB with a USB BT dongle attached) that you can only use one application at a time (i.e. you can't use Salling and Address book BT at the same time). However, upon trying it on my 17" PB, it works perfectly fine. Does anyone know how to solve this little problem?
Thanks
Hui
I believe the new version of clicker allows for more than one application open at a time using bluetooth. I can now use AB and Clicker at the same time. I have a 15"Ti.
"Is it because he's a horse?! Or because he has BLINDERS ON?!?!?!"

ParTi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 03:17 PM

how do you use your phone in conjunction with your mac?
My favorite by far is dialing in on my TiBook and Seimens S56 while slugging down a beer and tweeking the TV display for an application for sports bars (at said sports bar).

Cheers!

chessplayer
Sep 27, 2003, 12:57 AM

I would love to know how you transfer your voicemail or voice recordings to your Mac too.

WJMoore? Anyone?

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 02:53 AM

I went cell phone shopping today, and fell in love with the t610 (close enough to the 616)...

Then I heard you guys talk about the Nokia 3650, and I was pretty impressed... I was thikning about reconsidering the t616 for the nokia..

So I googled to the nokia webpage... and it hit me..

THE THING IS BUTT UGLY

Compared to the t616, which struck me as iPod like when I held it, the Nokia looks like a friggen video game controller or vcr remote.

Can't wait for my t616... *SLURP*
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

drHo
Oct 2, 2003, 08:10 PM

anybody using a BT usb adapter on thier mac with a 3650? i just got me a 3650 and i need bluetooth. but i'm not sure whats a good adapter that will work with my macs.: B&W and TiBook 550.

BTW: technically the T616 has a better screen than the 3650. the 3650's is physically bigger.

3650:

4k color TFT Screen

T616

65k color STN Screen

ok, while TFT screens are much better than crappy ass STN screens (a lot faster refresh rates, the T616's has more colors and its brighter. But hold them side to side...and i guess is a toss up. no matter my V200 screen's smokes them both! :-D
" pc's feel cheap like a dirty whore..."

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2003, 03:16 AM

Sounds great!

I get my PB later today

NOW, I'm waiting for the T608 (Sprint)
on sale this monday!

related question:

if I buy a D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter (found on the Apple Store) can I use that on my old iMac DV SE 500?

can it now share files with my PB and Phone?

edit: After reading at the Apple Store wow! I guess I can wow...
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

as2
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by Naz:
Sounds great!

I get my PB later today

NOW, I'm waiting for the T608 (Sprint)
on sale this monday!

related question:

if I buy a D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter (found on the Apple Store) can I use that on my old iMac DV SE 500?

can it now share files with my PB and Phone?

edit: After reading at the Apple Store wow! I guess I can wow...
Yes, but it will be dog slow...

Using bluetooth for sending salling clicker and address book integration is great, but I can't imagine sharing files is going to be any fun.

I occasionally sync my Clie T615 via BT, and it takes an age to do that, so I dread to think what sending any reasonable file would be like.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

videian28
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 03:00 PM

I know this is an old thread, but is there a way to save voicemail messages to the phone to save on the mac?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Yes. From MobileBurn.com:
Well his problem is he was using the t610 when his provider used 850 band which is why the t616 came out. He edited his review after to reflect this.

The t616's reception is much better then the t68i and I never had any problems with it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 4, 2004, 06:10 PM

Wow. Got The T610, a D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth adapter, and just tried Salling Clicker with my TiBook.

I'm getting at least 6-7 metres (20 feet) control of the laptop, which is surprising to me, since it was way less when I tried it with a T68i. I say at least 6 metres because my room isn't big enough. I put the laptop at one wall, and I'm out the hall in the stairwell and it works, with the TiBook screen blocking line of sight of the adapter. In fact, it still works one floor up.

Very cool. Salling has got my CAD$13.66. It will be perfect for my Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.

I just ordered the Sony Ericsson Bluetooth headset for the thing too. Hope it works as well.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jan 4, 2004 at 06:15 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules