Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 5g40

5g40 (Page 2)
dark3lf
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 11:02 AM

Keep it up and we're going to get the Apple version of WPA. BTW, is SMB working yet?

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2001, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by dark3lf:
<STRONG>Keep it up and we're going to get the Apple version of WPA.</STRONG>
What's WPA?

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 11:34 AM

Windows Product Activation.

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 12:30 PM

BTW, is SMB working yet?

Apparently not
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

piracy
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 12:50 PM

Yes, SMB is working just fine. You just don't know how to use it since you're using stolen, illegally obtained builds.

And the gall of some people: "Why don't you post some screenies on your Apple iDisk home page or something!@!#"

Uh yeah, let's post screenshots of illegally obtained Apple intellectual property on Apple's own servers, provided free to you for your use. Have you no shame? "Screenies"? Lame.

And what's the obsession with asking "Is networking working in this build?!@? What about sleep@!#? Surely if it's not working in a prerelease specialty build, it might not be working in 10.1 final!@!#" WTF? Do you think Apple is going to release 10.1 final without things like NETWORKING functional? Sheesh. And if everything is "perfect" in 5G40 and not in 41 then what? OMG, IS APPLE GOING BACKWARDS!@~!##?!#?????

Also, the information about what build was 'release candidate' and what build is the latest is incorrect. Don't know where people get their information on build numbers. It doesn't matter whether you have a friend at CompUSA or a friend who's a developer...even developers don't know what the latest build is. So unless you yourself are on the OS X team, which you're not since you're posting here, you don't know what the latest build is. And you can take that to the bank.

Also, for anyone who questions this, just find a time I've been wrong before...oh...what's that? I haven't been wrong? Ok, thanks.

<urp>
Sep 3, 2001, 01:02 PM

Welcome to the latest &lt;piracy&gt; reality check. now all we need is Kosmo to chime in about secret builds and it will be just like old times. We've already had the debugging code speed-up claim.

The latest build is 5G45
That is WRONG. 5G45 was built just after midnight September 1, 2001. Public record, check the Darwin Bug Tracker. Doubt if they've stopped running builds after that. Looks like twwo a day folks. You do the math.

gotta go play with my warez

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
<STRONG>Don't know where people get their information on build numbers. It doesn't matter whether you have a friend at CompUSA or a friend who's a developer...even developers don't know what the latest build is. So unless you yourself are on the OS X team, which you're not since you're posting here, you don't know what the latest build is. And you can take that to the bank.</STRONG>
So who the hell are you and were do you work Mr. Know It All?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2001, 01:05 PM

<STRONG>Also, for anyone who questions this, just find a time I've been wrong before...oh...what's that? I haven't been wrong? Ok, thanks.</STRONG>
Well of course you're not wrong, you didn't actually say anything... All you did watch bitch at people for being enthusiastic about a product they care about from a company they care about. God forbid people actually be curious about something they are likely to invest lots of time and money into...

Now, to those of you with 5g40:
1. The DVD image question.
2. What's this about a darker color scheme? (someone mentioned it in relation to the login window I think)
3. Is suck still available through the terminal?
4. Spring-loaded folders? (please please please please please)
5. Is there still a problem with files and disks being "in use" when you try to eject/trash them?

<urp>
Sep 3, 2001, 01:13 PM

So who the hell are you and were do you work Mr. Know It All?
to George Lucas' Shrinking Talent:
maybe he just reads the public record?

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 01:17 PM

2. What's this about a darker color scheme?

I just mean, you know the gray screen with the little Mac Classic looking guy that comes up right at the beginning of a boot? Well in PB that screen was a darker gray, and the Mac looked a bit different too. In final in changed back to the OS 9 look. Now it's back to the PB look. No big deal.

3. Is suck still available through the terminal?

Not sure. I was using it back in 5G24, but there seems to be a problem both with suck and with "anchoring" the dock: when installing over a 10.0.4 build where you had this setting(say to suck, and dock anchored to the left, as I did) it keeps that setting. However, if you ever change it in the dock, I don't think there's any way to change back. I find this disturbing, not so much for suck, but I really want my dock to be on the left, and I have a feeling at some point it's gonna get moved back to the center and I'll be screwed. Damnit Apple, fix this.

4. Spring-loaded folders?

No. You would've heard it if it was there.

One last point, any other 5G40 users can check something for me? Go to the terminal and just type "wget"(no quotes) and tell me what it says. This was a great little app that was always in OS X since the PB, and now it's gone on my machine. Don't know why(maybe it was a mistake or just on my machine), but that sucks. I am right now gonna try downloading/compiling/installing it again. Don't know why Apple would remove this.
"You have violated the spelling of the DMCA and will be jailed with the Village People."

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 01:24 PM

Uggh, just tried compiling wget and no-go:

checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

No idea what the problem there is. Anyone have any advice? I did an su root before trying this BTW.

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 01:47 PM

I don't think we will ever see Spring loaded folders in OS X

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: PMG4DP ]
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by PMG4DP:
<STRONG>I don't think we will ever see Spring loaded folders in OS X

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: PMG4DP ]</STRONG>
Hey, life goes on.
I think we have gained so much in OSX that I will not cry over this.

buon working
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 02:15 PM

Piracy: can't blame us if we get a wee bit excitable (oh, you're excitable too apparently ) over the latest and greatest, especially when it sounds like it's all coming together. I don't want anyone breaking their NDA when I think about it that way, but my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. Hey, I've never pirated anything anyway, and I'm not about to. Can't we all just get along?

Anyhoo, no, spring-loaded folders I would suspect are never coming back AS IS. But considering that SLF and labels are two of the most popular requests, I hope and suspect something is up Apple's sleeve, but not for this release obviously.

I kinda like the "suck " effect though it does need a better name. *Hint to Apple: "vacuum" is getting there, eh?* I hope for all users pinning is still supported in the plist hack. The reason they dropped it from the GUI choices is likely because of the way end icons disappear over the edge of the screen when magnification is on. If they find a way to actually pin the icons at the ends even when enlarging, they'll likely bring it to the Dock prefs panel.

[edit: spelling]

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: buon working ]

PMG4DP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
<STRONG>

Hey, life goes on.
I think we have gained so much in OSX that I will not cry over this.</STRONG>
I guess, but they are there in OS 9 when I need them.
"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt." --GWB

parkds
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2001, 02:23 PM

I know everyone and their sister is asking questions about this build. But I just had one hopefully simple question. I was wondering if anyone who has build installed on a laptop can tell me if the DVD player will work on a TV using Apple's A/V cord like it did under OS9. Thanks
doug

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 02:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> wget: Command not found. </font>[/code]
I wonder why they removed it? I'm going to see if I can use the version from 10.0.4

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 02:48 PM

If you have a binary, could you e-mail it to me, it should be small( &lt; 1 meg). I don't have 10.0.4 installed anymore.

No, mods, wget is GPL this is nothing illegal.

[email protected]

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 02:52 PM

1. How is iTunes? Overall better threading, visuals, scrolling, etc.?
Visuals are still very choppy on my machine. It hovers around 12 fps. This compared to G-Force in OS 9 where I would get 20-25 fps. Scrolling is prefect, but threading remains so-so. It can skip sometimes while simultaneously playing an mp3 and ripping one from a CD.
3. Does java under IE work as well or better than java on IE in 9? How about shockwave- does it have full support yet in either or both IE and OmniWeb?
Give me some sites to try out. Right now I'm loading sodaplay.com, but it seems to be stalled.
5. Do transparent menus in the dock show up/disappear faster (such as long lists in folders)?
They no longer slowly fade out. They disappear toward the dock in cascade fashion very quickly.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 03:04 PM

ftp://ftp.passage.dyndns.org/pub/wget

please play nice with this server.. does'nt have a big pipe!

it's 132k (about).. should load in 5 secs if you're alone and have a big pipe

Thought it could be usefull for others...

got it from 5G24.

crayz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 03:36 PM

Got it, sweet, thanks a lot Drizzt!

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Sep 3, 2001, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by bmedina:
<STRONG>
They no longer slowly fade out. They disappear toward the dock in cascade fashion very quickly.</STRONG>
?? Must be fairly new - still fades on 5G27. You mean, they slide down into the Dock? Or just fade from the top down, instead of uniformly?
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Sep 3, 2001, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
<STRONG>

Hey, life goes on.
I think we have gained so much in OSX that I will not cry over this.</STRONG>
This reminds me: as much as everybody has been badmouthing this feature, I find myself using Copy-Paste of files more and more, and finding it a darned useful feature.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 05:16 PM

You mean, they slide down into the Dock? Or just fade from the top down, instead of uniformly?
They don't fade anymore. They just disappear from the top down, as you said. It's pretty slick, and really fast.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 05:57 PM

bmedina, thanks! The top to bottom scrolling effect instead of disappearing sounds really interesting!

saltines17
Senior User
Sep 3, 2001, 06:19 PM

<STRONG>
They don't fade anymore. They just disappear from the top down, as you said. It's pretty slick, and really fast. </STRONG>
OH NO

DOES THIS SOUND LIKE MR. UGLY WINDOWS MENU ANIMATIONS TO ANYONE ELSE?

buon working
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2001, 06:28 PM

It's user feedback. Sounds like Apple is sticking to its guns.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 06:37 PM

Anyone want to get Snapz Pro and record these animations it?

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Sep 3, 2001, 06:39 PM

<STRONG>
They don't fade anymore. They just disappear from the top down, as you said. It's pretty slick, and really fast. </STRONG>
Hmm...sounds interesting. Perhaps a Snapz Pro movie would help you describe them better.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 06:40 PM

no kiddin'! What happened to Kelix's report... this build has me extremely excited for the final!

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 06:52 PM

I think you guys are misunderstanding me. It's not all that special. The menus simply disappear instantly instead of fading away. However, they don't all disappear simultaneously. Look at this image:

Now imagine clicking on something in the right most pane. When you do this, all five panes will disappear (not fade out) from right to left. There is no sliding animation. They just disappear.

I believe in 10.0.4, the menus would fade out. This was often times slow and choppy, especially with long lists of things. I'm assuming this is why Apple changed the behavior. And yes, it is kind of like Windows.

Really, it's nothing special. There are much better things in 10.1

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 06:57 PM

Sorry all... as you may or may not be aware i live in Australia, so im sleeping when you guys are awake. And i have recently recieved an email from Apple and was asked in no short terms to zip up. so im not allowed to post my report.. funnily enough they didnt mention the screenshot of 5G40. Im guessing after september 7 they wont care what i do. Checked my FTP at Apple last night and found a few goodies... IF you are a dev have a look you might be surprised

Still ill answer questions rather than post a report dont want to get snubbed by Apple again (by making it too obvious)

And as for people like Piracy, im not in breech of my NDA nor is this software illigal. WUD can not be classified as a compleated product and therefore people can grab it if it is leaked and not get in trouble. Apple can threaten on grounds of Intelectual property if it is displayed in public but for other people its perfectly fine to have a hold of the build. Legally that is.. morally it may not be quite that way. As i see it if someone is wound up enough about a product let em see it and enjoy it.

now any questions on the build? 5G42FC2b is in my hands now.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by kelix:
<STRONG>Sorry all... as you may or may not be aware i live in Australia, so im sleeping when you guys are awake. And i have recently recieved an email from Apple and was asked in no short terms to zip up. .</STRONG>
Uh huh, you are the same chap who at MWNY gave us the report that the new towers that were wrapped up had a "cold Metallic feel" to them when you reached around the back and felt them.

And now Apple writes you

<Sean2068445>
Sep 3, 2001, 07:10 PM

Is mail.app and others up to version .1 now? and working at comparable speed to the Finder?

Do menus in applications appear and dissapear as quickly as they do in the finder?

<jethro>
Sep 3, 2001, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Spirit_VW:
<STRONG>
This reminds me: as much as everybody has been badmouthing this feature, I find myself using Copy-Paste of files more and more, and finding it a darned useful feature.</STRONG>
That's all nice and happy if all you want to do is *copy* the file, but if you want to *move* it then it sucks. At least Windows has the option to "cut" a file as well, I mean, as long as Apple is aping their UI they might as well do it right.

reactor
Sep 3, 2001, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by MacAttack:
<STRONG>Does the DVD player install in 5G40 on a B&W G3 if you remove the DVD daughtercard from the Rage 128? Just as important a question - does the DVD player then work?</STRONG>
I replaced the Rage 128 card with a Radeon. Don't tell me, Apple, I need to remove my stock DVD player unit in order to be able to play DVD's.

In OS 9 the software-only Apple DVD Player doesn't install/run on my B&W G3/Radeon, so it gives some thinking that in G40 the same problem occurs.

With marketing strategies like these, AAPL's biggest foe is Apple

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: reactor ]
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 09:17 PM

I've got simple tastes and simple question. Under 10.0.4 (and all previous releases), sometimes the CPU Monitor won't show a bar graph in the dock unless you click on the Preferences menu first and then change the type of graph you would like. It works fine if you fire the application up from scratch, but it doesn't work if you have it launched automatically upon login (it just shows the generic icon). Hence, every time I start up OSX, which I must admit doesn't happen very often considering how stable it is, I have to manually go into the CPU Monitor and click on the graph type. I haven't submitted it to Apple feedback, but it's such a silly bug and they have more important things to work on, but it does bother me just a tad. Has this been fixed in the latest builds?

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 09:17 PM

if you wanted to get dvd playback on your B+W G3 go to Apple feedback and request it.. im sure within a week of release od 10.1 there will be a 10.1.1 update to fix the flood of little problems.. this ws the case for 10.0

<Kompressor>
Sep 3, 2001, 09:42 PM

"now any questions on the build? 5G42FC2b is in my hands now"

So how is 5G42 Kelix? Any improvements???

Kompressor

Sealobo  (op)
Sep 3, 2001, 09:57 PM

I think kelix is sleeping again..

Does it have a newer IE? The current IE that i am running is the 5.1b1 (3408)... which is very outdated i suppose.

Let me know~!

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2001, 10:20 PM

piracy - You are boring.

Kelix - a couple questions:

1) can you time boot up (all the way to a usable desktop)

2) IE. Howsit? My big problem with OSX was largely the lame browsing experience. pages slow to render. resizing was slow. multitasking was largely non existant. Java was crippled. I make all browsing comparisons to my 866mhz 256MB Dell Win2K, wich by the way rocks balz.

3) Finder multitasking. any better. 10.0.4 too frequently gave me the pinwheel of despair.

4) any improvements to the 'Connect' interface. Personally I think the chooser is still better. at least in chooser I can select the protocol I want to use. can I select to have a connection mount at boot up like in os9

5) does MySQL shutdown properly now? in 10.0.4 and earlier the MySQL daemon couldn't be shutdown without killing the process.

6) Finder resizing. does the content of the window dynamically update while dragging the resize corner (like win2k) or does it only update after the corner is dropped.

7) Network folder. Does it have a real use yet?

8) any improvements to netinfo. any real uses for it yet?
'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

Scrod
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 10:49 PM

I'd like to know how fast BBEdit is. That includes how many bounces it takes to launch and how quickly all its huge menus appear.
I abused my signature until she cried.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2001, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
<STRONG>
OH NO
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE MR. UGLY WINDOWS MENU ANIMATIONS TO ANYONE ELSE? </STRONG>
Slight difference between Apple's menu UI animations and MS's IMHO. Apple's animations occur after you have selected your menu item where in Windows it occurs when the menu is opening. I hate waiting for a menu to animate open before I can see the contents, but I don't care what it does after I've made my selection.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

bmedina
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2001, 11:29 PM

IE. Howsit? My big problem with OSX was largely the lame browsing experience. pages slow to render. resizing was slow. multitasking was largely non existant. Java was crippled. I make all browsing comparisons to my 866mhz 256MB Dell Win2K, wich by the way rocks balz.
It launches fast (usually three or less bounces) and renders pretty fast. Resizing is still painful. It is at 5.1.2 (3707), if that means anything to anyone. Multitasking is improved with multiple browser windows open. It no longer freezes use of other windows while something loads in a background window.

Finder multitasking. any better. 10.0.4 too frequently gave me the pinwheel of despair.
The pinwheel is almost nonexistent in the Finder. However, it does still pop up sometimes during network access.

any improvements to the 'Connect' interface.
As far as I remember, it's the same as 10.0.4. You still have to enter the entire url (including protocol) to connect to a server.

Finder resizing. does the content of the window dynamically update while dragging the resize corner
It updates dynamically, as far as I can tell.

Network folder. Does it have a real use yet?
It's still pretty useless unless you're connected to a NetInfo domain.

BBEdit opened in eight bounces the first time, five the second. Menu response is very quick, as it is in all apps.

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2001, 11:54 PM

OK my review was finally posted at mosr.com

With screenshots and write-ups.

ben check ya email!

See ya!

P.S. any questions?

iloveOSX
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2001, 12:00 AM

BBEdit opened in eight bounces the first time, five the second. Menu response is very quick, as it is in all apps.
didn't the omni group guy said that apps would require a recompile for fastest boot up time in 10.1

if so hen bbedit may ship a update at 10.1 launch. ???

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2001, 12:01 AM

My review is the first one.. the screenshots are not the ones i sent in. I have removed all the pictures i hosted due to Apples request.
Cheers,
kelix

electroJerm
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2001, 12:01 AM

<STRONG>And the gall of some people: "Why don't you post some screenies on your Apple iDisk home page or something!@!#"

Uh yeah, let's post screenshots of illegally obtained Apple intellectual property on Apple's own servers, provided free to you for your use. Have you no shame? "Screenies"? Lame.
</STRONG>
Since piracy is so kindly responding to my request, I suppose I should defend myself. Let me clarify something: I am an excited, patriotic mac user.... one who has clear interest in the future of the platform, but without the ill will to "steal" from apple. For this reason, I choose to only install Apple system upgrades that I get from an Apple box. Illegally obtained? Maybe. But the person using the system has already broken the law. He/she has already commited the crime. Taking screenshots of the operating system isn't a crime. Taking the system is. While Windows XP was in pre-realease build stages, there were pleanty of sites offering a glimpse of the interface? Was their screenshot posting illegal too? Only if they obtained the OS illegally, which is unknown. When build copys "leak" out of Apple, they rarely leak illegally. I would find it very hard to believe that Apple employees are just giving these builds to their friends. Security is so tight within Apple that the employee would be risking their job. So this means that in most cases, the build was leaked intentionally which decreases the illegality of USING it (im not speaking about the illegality of not having paid for it). Now legalities aside, iDisk. I don't recall reading in iDisk terms of service anything about screenshot posting being illegal. Sure, its quite ironic, maybe even "lame" as you say, but not "shameful."
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2001, 12:05 AM

Piracy=Boring.... go some where that cares piracy

dtriska
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2001, 12:37 AM

kelix, I've got "mail" set up as both the incoming and outgoing mail server within Mail in 10.0.4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules