Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I love my Powerbook :)

I love my Powerbook :)
Drowelfchyld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 11:30 AM

There are so many topics about people's issues, I would like to start a forum for people who love their PBs.

I just recently purchased a 12inch PB. I've used Macs a lot in the past, but this was my first Mac purchase. I have since added a Gig of RAM to my baby, which I use for video editing. I like Final Cut far more than I like Adobe Premiere, and I've been using iWork a lot too. Garagaband is perhaps one of the coolest pieces of included software I have ever used.

So how do you love your PB?

miacomet
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2005, 12:40 PM

I love my new 12" PB too! And I can't wait for my new Dell 2005FPW to plug into it!!

Rewes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 01:32 PM

I have one of the new 15-inch ones and have to say that ... it´s bloody marvelous!

teerexx52
Nov 26, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rewes
I have one of the new 15-inch ones and have to say that ... it´s bloody marvelous!
Mine too. I have had it about two weeks hooked up to my Apple 20" display coming from an Ibook that I had for about 3 months. Really liked it but needed to hook up to the ACD 20" so made the switch. My wife liked mine so she got one as well. So far I like the screen and performance. Added 1GB stick. Looked long and hard at the new 15" but wanted the extreme portability. All in all it was a good choice for me.

sam0329
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 07:04 PM

I really LOVE mine too, this is actually my fist MAC, but not the first time I use MAC, my uncle, which is a designer, he started using MAC longlong time ago, like Apple Classic something, and i always dream to have one, now, my dreams come true and I hardly touch my Wintel box, I feel bad, kind of not really ... LOL!

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005, 07:23 PM

Dewaine
Nov 26, 2005, 07:40 PM

I have had my 12" for 3 months now, and I have to say I am so glad I bougnt it. I switched from wintel, and must say that I do not plan on ever going back. I am actually using my compter, instead of spending time configuring it all the time. If I were buying today I would more than likely go gor the 15 inch, simply for the larger screen. That being said, I am extremly happy with my 12" PB.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2005, 08:04 PM

Oh yeah- love my 17" for 3 years now and soon to love my new 15"!!!!!

Kilik101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 08:14 PM

Been working on a g5 desk and decided i wanted to take my work with me so purchased the new 15. My first laptop and i gotta ask myself what took me so long. The performance exceeds my expectations and is stable as a rock. Yes i love my powerbook.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2005, 08:23 PM

My 12"" rocks.. I love being able to take it everywhere... IT IS AMAZING.. fast, sleek, unbelievable!
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

audiophilia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2005, 08:31 PM

Got my 15" a couple of months ago.

Bloody marvellous!

The only thing I'm pissed about is wasting the last ten years with Windows...this PB and OSX are in a different universe...
www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile

www.e46toronto.ca
Canada's premier BMW forum

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by teney7
My 12"" rocks.. I love being able to take it everywhere... IT IS AMAZING.. fast, sleek, unbelievable!
I could'nt have put it any better myself

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2005, 10:11 AM

Can I say the same about my month old 15"?

That's the thing too, audiophilia - I'm now wondering why I never considered moving to Mac sooner.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 27, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by teney7
My thoughts exactly, when reading this thread.

El Maestro
Nov 27, 2005, 01:33 PM

Even though I'm dealing with an issue right now (I think it's not even an Apple issue), I LOVE my PB. It's almost a year since I've swtiched and I'll never, ever, go back. It's the OS and the tight integration with hardware that does it for me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 01:48 PM

i love my new 17" powerbook

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 05:12 PM

New-- perfect. OK, back to work!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 09:54 PM

I Efen Love My Pb
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2005, 10:26 PM

I still find my 1 ghz Tibook just about perfect. The amazing thing is that Apple keeps improving the OS so much that this 3 year old laptop doesn't seem "old", and it is faster than the day I bought it due to the improvements in OSX. No dead pixels, bright sreen, does everything except the widget ripple effect....

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mdc

i love my new 17" powerbook
sooooo photoshoped. but still, sooooooo nice.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2005, 09:38 AM

I just upgraded from my trusty old Pismo 500Mhz to a new 12" Powerbook yesterday. I'm absolutely loving this thing so far. Two finger scrolling is one of the coolest things ever. I work at the Apple Store and I've always loved the 12" but you don't appreciate its size until you carry it around a bit. My pismo was a bit of a heffer.

Originally Posted by Charles Bouldin
I still find my 1 ghz Tibook just about perfect. The amazing thing is that Apple keeps improving the OS so much that this 3 year old laptop doesn't seem "old", and it is faster than the day I bought it due to the improvements in OSX. No dead pixels, bright sreen, does everything except the widget ripple effect....
I'm with you on the "never old" feeling of my older macs. I have a dual 1.25Ghz Powermac G4 that still feels brand new running tiger, all except the ripple effect. Even my Powerbook G3 was plenty useable. Now to find it a good home!
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

rolfus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2005, 09:46 AM

i got my first powerbook this friday, and i love it. there is no problem with the computer, not even a dead pixel have i found.

and to Jens Peter. I love the city you live in.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rolfus
and to Jens Peter. I love the city you live in.
Ja, smilets by er et dejligt sted

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2005, 10:48 PM

I love my Powerbook. Its sooo cute. Awwww. Look at it. It`s sleeping.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 02:02 AM

i love my clamshell, but i need my powerbook.

jyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 03:43 AM

Just transitioned from a PM G5 1.8 sp to a 17" 1.67 and am totally happy I did. Added 1 gig of RAM extra to 1.5 and will probably buy another 1 gig chip when the prices dip.

I LOVE THIS THING!

Great display, big but still very portable in my opinion. Would not frequent travel with it, but going from room to room or from home to office is fine.
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17"
1.5 gig RAM, 120gig HD
1 gig iPod Shuffle, 10 gig 1st gen iPod
G4 Cube 450 1.5 gig RAM, 20 gig HD, 15" LCD

jalisco555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2005, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Drowelfchyld
There are so many topics about people's issues, I would like to start a forum for people who love their PBs.

I just recently purchased a 12inch PB. I've used Macs a lot in the past, but this was my first Mac purchase. I have since added a Gig of RAM to my baby, which I use for video editing. I like Final Cut far more than I like Adobe Premiere, and I've been using iWork a lot too. Garagaband is perhaps one of the coolest pieces of included software I have ever used.

So how do you love your PB?
I have a Rev. A 17 inch PB and there are more cool things about it than I can count. But the coolest of all is that whenever I fly with it flight attendants come up to me and strike up conversations with me. That NEVER happened when I owned a Dell.

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 04:12 PM

My pbook has been serving me well for sometime now, we never had a PC in my house growing up, always Macs. Next addition to it will either be the dell 2005fpw or an external hard drive, hopefully I get lots of xmas cash.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
I love my Powerbook. Its sooo cute. Awwww. Look at it. It`s sleeping.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2005, 11:14 AM

Oh, and before I forget: I absolutely love my new 1.67 15" PB. It's wonderfully quiet, and the difference in weight (and size) as compared to my previous 17" PB is huge.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

tjwoody
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2005, 07:50 PM

My new 15" is totally awesome! coming up on 4 years since I made the switch and I never want to go back (even if my principal keeps insisting that PCs are the real world , , , ) Mac Rocks!
Tim

Ric_D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2005, 09:08 PM

I puchased my 15" hi-res PowerBook right after they came out in October, 2005. It is absolutely the best computer that I have ever owned.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2005, 12:52 PM

My 12'' rocks. I like it better than the powermac i had. What is up with the ripple effect with the widgets? My DP 1ghz powermac wouldnt do it, but this 1ghz PB will. Odd

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2005, 08:56 PM

Just got my 15" Powerbook after having a 12" iBook for a year in a half. It's my second Mac, and my entire family has been gathered around the screen gawking at the goodness of Apple. My dad is about to buy his first Mac (his I.T. guy just discovered 200+ viruses on his Dell), and now everyone is even more interested.

I LOVE MY POWERBOOK!!!

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2005, 10:31 PM

I have a new 15" ultra and I love it. I'm not having the horizontal line issue or my 20/20 vision is not good enough. Either way the screen looks perfect. I love the speed, quietness and weight of this model.

 Fender
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2005, 01:54 AM

I love my Powerbook like it was my child. It's completely changed the way I compute. I'll probably upgrade to the current 17" PB before they go Intel; that new resolution is killer.

*24 inch iMac C2D 2.18 GHz, 3 GB*
*13 inch MacBook CD 1.83 GHz, 2 GB*

BENJMNS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2005, 02:11 AM

i have a new 15" and just found out about the weird lines. doesn't bug me too much but if there's a fix, great.

overall, i like the powerbook for casual, home use. i prefer the Windows OS for business. I think both have their strengths and weaknesses.

italiano
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 03:53 AM

I'm writing this on my Wallstreet 266 Powerbook (1998)... it has 320 megs of ram, a wireless network card, a USB 2.0/Firewire card and 2 batteries that give me a total of 5 hours usage - running Panther - I'm laying in bed surfin' wirelessly and still love mine. We have a few Macs in our house but the Powerbook with the wireless card is perfect for a bedroom web browser.

Still looks new and I always loved the BLACK color.
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 02:46 PM

Just got a new 15" hi-res 1.67GHz Albook a few weeks ago, which is my second PB (also have a 15" 1GHz Tibook). Have to admit I love the Albook!! Whisper quiet, fast, bright screen which automatically adjusts to lighting conditions and the backlit keyboard really comes in handy, etc. I just felt bad for my Tibook watching me play with my new Albook

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2005, 09:50 PM

Get enough ram and your PB will love you even more.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CTSxViper
Dec 30, 2005, 04:41 PM

Just bought lasy night a new 15" and I Love this Laptop..

bustamebus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 05:13 PM

cant live without my 12". love it to DEATH. so transportable. and just so much fun to have.

rem
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Get enough ram and your PB will love you even more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules