Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: MacBook

FS: MacBook
PowerPro2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2008, 10:48 PM

I've got a White 1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo MacBook (First Gen). It's got 2GBs of RAM, an upgraded 120GB hard drive, and a beautiful 13.3" Glossy Display.

I'm asking $475 shipped, paid for via PayPal.

The reason I'm selling it is because I just got a new MacBook Pro, and I no longer need this beautiful computer. PM me if interested.

Veritas&Equitas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2008, 12:55 PM

Great price, if you're legit.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2008, 01:14 PM

Pics? References?

PowerPro2008  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 04:38 PM

Yeah... PM me for pics.

ankitsid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 10:36 AM

still selling?

charlespsu
Jun 11, 2008, 06:50 PM

Dibs....PM sent

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 09:36 AM

Sold

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 10:36 AM

Please Advise when you will ship. I paid on thursday and now it is Tuesday, please send me tracking information of confirmation that it has been sent.
Brian

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Returnofthemac View Post
Please Advise when you will ship. I paid on thursday and now it is Tuesday, please send me tracking information of confirmation that it has been sent.
Brian
Good luck. This guy has three other computers for sale here/. Not saying he's a scammer but caveat emptor (maybe too late for that).

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 05:13 PM

Powerpro assured me that he was going to ship it tommorow so we will see if it makes it out the door or not. Any way it goes i hope that all is well and i can report back on a great seller powerpro is and an asset to MACNN he will be.

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 04:28 PM

In everyones experience how long does parcel post take to arrive and with delivery confirmation how long does it take to show up on the website? This is how the macbook was shipped to me today?
Thanks Brian

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 05:45 PM

For delivery confirmation, it may show up later tonight, after 9pm EST. As for parcel post, it could take anywhere from 2-9 business days, if not more.

You paid through Paypal, correct? If anything, you could always file a claim through them if you don't receive anything.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2008, 06:18 PM

Going on day three since my MB was shipped and still the delivery confirmation comes up as the number not existing. Does anyone have any insight on how this process works with USPS? As there anything i can do to find out if it has been shipped?
Thanks Brian

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 06:27 PM

Just for the record,
The USPS is the absolute worst when it comes to being able to have any clue at all what the status of a package is.
I don't think I have ever received one and known it was coming ahead of time.
Usually the status shows it was shipped several days after I get it.

I don't understand it,I only accept it.

I can send a normal letter almost anywhere in the U.S in 3 days but if I send it Certified it can take a month,no kidding.

Good Luck

Cold Warrior
Jun 21, 2008, 10:31 PM

Certified doesn't give you any additional speed. You would need to choose priority and certified.

USPS in my experience is far, far better than FedEx or UPS.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Certified doesn't give you any additional speed. You would need to choose priority and certified.

USPS in my experience is far, far better than FedEx or UPS.
Like I said above,my experience is exactly the opposite.USPS is not about Speed to me.
Fedex now has another company doing most of the Ground Service and I have had nothing but trouble from that.
UPS for me is not too bad but they have their monents for sure.
USPS delivery is not bad all I am saying is the package can not be tracked in "Realtime" which is I think what the guy waiting for the computer wants to hear about.

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2008, 02:12 PM

It has been very hit or miss with this. I have not used USPS very much and they said if in fact it was shipped it should show up on the website a day or two after it ships yet we are on day 4 and it says not a valid number. This is all i know and there is so much conflicting info. Guess we will just see if it shows up.

Cold Warrior
Jun 22, 2008, 02:16 PM

Maybe the seller gave you a bogus tracking #.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by audvidsvs View Post
USPS is not about Speed
Quoted for truth. Sometimes I've had tracking not appear until I've received a package. It's annoying.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2008, 05:47 PM

Something this valuable should not have been shipped by USPS in the first place and you should have insisted on UPS or Fed-Ex with insurance.

To answer some of your questions, I ship cigars using delivery confirmation all the time. A LEGIT delivery confirmation number will show up in the system after 24 hours (at the latest in my experience). If the system says, after 3 days, that the number is not valid then it's a bogus DC number.

Also, there is no way for you to know if he actually shipped it other than taking his word for it (another reason that something this valuable needs a TRACKING number from UPS or Fed-Ex). Tracking numbers can't be faked (well, they can, but you would know in less than 24 hours).

Has the seller been in contact with you? Is he responsive?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2008, 12:44 AM

I think you have been scammed. Sorry, dude.

-t

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2008, 03:46 PM

I have talked with USPS and they told me with parcel post and delivery confirmation that if it is moving through there system there has to be a something attached to that number. The seller informed me that he did in fact ship it. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place what should i do about this?

Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 05:06 PM

USPS tracking does suck. If you feel you've waited long enough, file a PayPal dispute,

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2008, 05:48 PM

The seller informed me that he did in fact ship it. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place what should i do about this?
Stop the hope and accept you have been scammed.

Now go and react.

File a dispute with PayPal and TELL THEM that the shipper has provided a FAKE tracking number to delay the process. If you don't mention the fake tracking # part, you might fall into the same Paypal trap as John.

-t

sledsbehave
Senior User
Jun 24, 2008, 10:54 PM

I have talked with USPS and they told me with parcel post and delivery confirmation that if it is moving through there system there has to be a something attached to that number. The seller informed me that he did in fact ship it. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place what should i do about this?
attempt to get a refund, but more likely, get use to the fact you just lost $500. he's likely withdrawn the money already, in which case you'll never see it again.

too much time has passed, it's time to take some action. if the macbook arrives, then great, but prepare for the worst.

this had scam written all over it.
as ever,
sonny

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2008, 01:20 PM

Returnofthemac, please keep us updated about this. Sorry to say, it doesn't sound very good.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2008, 01:33 PM

Also, if you used a CC during the Paypal transaction, you can always file a claim with the CC company if Paypal falls through.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

PowerPro2008  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 09:12 PM

I did give him a legit delivery confirmation number. And, he spent $350 on it, because the screen flicker problem started. I did in fact ship it when stated, gave him the DC #, and he should receive it in the next few days...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by PowerPro2008 View Post
I did give him a legit delivery confirmation number. And, he spent $350 on it, because the screen flicker problem started. I did in fact ship it when stated, gave him the DC #, and he should receive it in the next few days...
If the DC# was legit, it would show up on the USPS page. Why don't you post this legit tracking number here? It doesn't give away any information.

Is there ANYONE on this site that has bought from this guy and actually received anything? I only say this because he's only made one post on MacNN outside of the Marketplace and has sold (or tried to sell) multiple items here. Just curious if anyone has actually purchased from him and received anything.

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...k/#post3669533

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...z/#post3670375

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...c/#post3674459

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...s/#post3665959

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2008, 09:53 AM

Wow, $475? Sounds too good to be true. Keep us informed on what happens with this.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 09:57 AM

I went in Wednesday to my local post office and talked to the post master there and he told me that sometimes not all the time they can track the package by the senders name and address and or the recipients. I have asked the seller multiple times to provide his name and address to me in PM yet he has not. The user that bought the other items from him requested his money back shortly after buying because of shipping issues. The other user also informed me that the seller said he was shipping from somewhere different then mine and would not give up any information to the other buyer also. Powerpro prove me wrong and take a couple pictures of the recept from the post office and send them to me.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 10:00 AM

PowerPro2008 sounds and acts like a scammer.

kretara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
If the DC# was legit, it would show up on the USPS page. Why don't you post this legit tracking number here? It doesn't give away any information.
Not to stick up for the scammer, but what you said above is just not true.
If have found that more than half the time the numbers given to you by USPS do not show up in their system until AFTER the package has been delivered. Sometime it takes up to a week after delivery to show up in the system.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kretara View Post
Not to stick up for the scammer, but what you said above is just not true.
If have found that more than half the time the numbers given to you by USPS do not show up in their system until AFTER the package has been delivered. Sometime it takes up to a week after delivery to show up in the system.
That has NOT been my experience and I ship and receive packages using DC#s at least 2-3 times a month. EVERY DC# I have given someone or received from someone at least acknowledges on the website that the package is in the system. I've never had a DC# show up as invalid 2-3 days after the package is shipped.

kretara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 11:29 AM

That has NOT been my experience and I ship and receive packages using DC#s at least 2-3 times a month. EVERY DC# I have given someone or received from someone at least acknowledges on the website that the package is in the system. I've never had a DC# show up as invalid 2-3 days after the package is shipped.
WOW! It must be location dependent.
When I used to ship stuff out of Boston (0-20 items/week) I NEVER had a number that worked until after it was delivered.
I have the same experience here in Arkansas, where I ship a few things every week.

Regardless, I hope everything gets resolved quickly.

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 01:41 PM

The mail has come and gone again for another day and nothing was delivered. Saturday will be 9 business days. I will keep everyone updated on the status of the situation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2008, 02:42 PM

Well, here's an idea: ask the shipper to scan the USPS receipt and email it to you.

-t

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

I asked for him to take pictures of it and send those to me in my previous post but thanks for the suggestion

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2008, 03:46 PM

I'm surprised that seller has reposted in this thread. Maybe there is still some hope Returnofthemac?

Best of luck.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2008, 04:23 PM

IDK chippervw, it sounded a lot like the standard scammer's reply.

chippervw
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
IDK chippervw, it sounded a lot like the standard scammer's reply.
I agree with that, but I was surprised he came back and posted 20 days after the original post

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2008, 06:42 PM

Day 11 after it was supposedly shipped.

I'd say the chances are very slim that this was for real.

-t

Returnofthemac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 05:51 PM

you are right my friend I am pretty sure it was fake. Now the words I hate to write......its all in PP hands. Will keep the post updated.

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2008, 06:45 AM

Anyone notice the seller is active in another thread here too.
Also selling Mac's.

Odd?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 10:30 AM

Is there ANYONE on this site that has bought from this guy and actually received anything? I only say this because he's only made one post on MacNN outside of the Marketplace and has sold (or tried to sell) multiple items here. Just curious if anyone has actually purchased from him and received anything.

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...k/#post3669533

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...z/#post3670375

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...c/#post3674459

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...s/#post3665959
Originally Posted by audvidsvs View Post
Anyone notice the seller is active in another thread here too.
Also selling Mac's.

Odd?
Yeah, I brought this up several days ago.

badabing2005
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2008, 10:27 PM

contact troll hunters on anandtech Forsale forums. They may help.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 09:36 PM

Sorry dude, looks like you've been scammed.
Always demand Fedex shipment with tracking no. before you send money to Paypal.
Hope a miracle happens, but I doubt it at this late point....

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by macwayne View Post
Sorry dude, looks like you've been scammed.
Always demand Fedex shipment with tracking no. before you send money to Paypal.
Hope a miracle happens, but I doubt it at this late point....
What kind of seller ships first? Shipping before you receive payment is just setting yourself up to get scammed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2008, 12:15 AM

Maybe he meant to get the seller to agree that he will ship via Fedex. At least, you are not subject to the USPS tracking system quirks that seem to exits...

-t

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
What kind of seller ships first? Shipping before you receive payment is just setting yourself up to get scammed.
I think he meant it just as you read it.

I recently did a deal with Macwaynne and much to my surprise he shipped first!
I never asked for it nor even considered it but due to delays in our speaking and working out the details and me having to go out of town before we could finalize things once we had agreed to the deal he shipped several days before I was able to send the PayPal.

I suppose the fact that we talked several times prior to that mad him feel comfortable with that and it sure surprised me but since I had made a commitment to buy it all worked out when I was able to PayPal upon my return home.

Not to hijack this thread any more but I am amazed anyone would agree to a deal like this without tallking on the phone first and getting verifiable contact info before sending the money.
I think the buyer mentioned that both were not something the seller would provide.

Anyway I hope something good will surprise us all here and I will be even more careful and skeptical from now on as I seem to grow more that way by the day.

Ed
( Last edited by audvidsvs; Jul 3, 2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Can not spell!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules